Thursday, January 8, 2015

Othello the Legatus Act 4 Scene 2 part 3 Prologue 30

Prologue 30

Emilia sat there at her healer place, watching the lady seated there. She was beaten up by some men who had her cornered by the alley. They had beaten her up bad, and left her there. The Vigeles found her and brought her here which was the nearest healer shop. The father had tried to ease her pain, but he was too late. She had suffered some ruptures in her chest that soon caused her to die there.

Emilia went to her funeral and learned that she was the lover of one young son of the Senate member. She saw him at the distance while the funeral pyre was ablaze. He had not come close for he fear the repercussions of the family. He was drawn by the sad emotions , and fled the scene. She had him followed to the tavern, which he took a room on the upper landing, with a large order of wine. She took up courage before she went up to see him. She knocked on the door, and there was no answer. She pushed at the door and found it open. She went in without any invitation.

"Who are you?" The person sat there on the floor next to the bedding with a goblet of wine in his hands.

"Its me, Emilia. I saw you coming in here." She closed the door and approached him. "I was Stella' friend."

With that name, the young man let the tears flowed, and then reached for the wine but Emilia stopped him. She had leaned down and grabbed his goblet of wine. 

"Are you the man that she would like to be with? If yes, then don't cry like a woman." Emilia told him. He looked up at her but tears still flowed from his eyes. She saw the self pittance look on his face and held her close to him. He did not stepped weeping till some time later. He pulled away and then looked to the window.

"Its dark. I must be going." He looked at Emilia. "Thank you."

"Before you go, tell me why did you leave her there?" Emilia asked him.

"I did not leave her there. She went there on her own. She wanted to confront the man who accused her of being a slut." The young man replied. "It was my cousin, Theodoius. I tried to stop her but she had gone ahead. I lost her at the streets, and when I found her, it was too late. The Vigeles were there then, and I ran back. I was a coward."

"Would you tell the Vigeles what happened then?" Emilia asked of him.

"I have no proof. I am to leave for the training camp as a Tribune tomorrow. That was why I went to look for her. How was I know that Theodoius was there. If I knew, I would not had come onto her."

"You ....go on to join the Legion. Forget this incident. Stella is dead." Emilia told him. He nodded and got up to leave. He turned back to thank her.

"Thank you. My name is Othello. I will see you when I come back." The young man left her there at the room. Emilia got up and returned back to her own home. Three months later, Theodoius was found dead after he had drunk some wine tainted with a poisonous potion made from herbs. No one knew why, but it paved the way for Othello to be the favored son to later sit on his father' seat at the Senate.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...