Sunday, January 11, 2015

Othello the Legatus Act 5 Scene 2 Part 2

Act Five Scene 2 Part 2

Othello opened the door to admit in the lady. Once she was in, she rushed to her Lady side and checked for wounds. There was none, but the inner cut in the heart. Desdemona eyes were in tears and that prompted the other to also cry. Emilia then turned to the tormentor of her Lady.

"Othello, within the grace of Apollo, tell me what made you do this?" Emilia looked back to her Lady. "Desdemona loved only you. And a love which even I cannot provide."

"Speak no more, whores. I let you in to witness the killing of one which was your sister. Sister in the same tricks. You were once a whore too. You betrayed me, after all the times we had. You left me when I needed you most." Othello hit back with rage in his eyes. "Was it because of this?"

Othello pulled the mask off.

"This is the real Othello. See me for whom I am."

Both the ladies shied their face away.

"See, I was not wrong,. You worship me not for the love, but for the rank I hold. Well, I worship you all for I have no need to pay you in coins for your body. We are all whores. I sell my rank for you, and you sell....your body for mine."

"Enough, Othello. I am Desdemona, your love. I loved you, and still do. I never loved you for the rank. I loved you for you. Remember this, Othello. I only loved you after you were ....masked. I wanted you....then." Desdemona looked away. "I could had others; well, I did. Cassio, Lucius, .....others,m but never was any to take my virtue. Only you, I had given it to. Others had tried, sons of Duke and Count, nobles and even your own damned legionnaires. I fought them all off, but with you I was ...giving."

"Lies, whore." Othello said it. "You had Cassio after you were mine. He told me so. He had used the sash on you."

"The sash? Was it all about the sash? The one item that you said bind our love." Desdemona glared at him. "The one thing that bind our love was our heart. Not any sash of love. You are so gullible. All men are the same."

"Gullible? How dare you insult my family?" With those words, Othello approached Desdemona, but Emilia stood in between them.

"Othello, if you touch her, I would kill you myself." Emilia told him. "There is one thing you must know. Father told me then but he promised not to tell you. Your wound had made you sick."

"I know of that. I get these ....period of sleep." Othello told her. "The men told me. My true friends knew."

"Did they say that during then, you may be out of your mind. You may strike at something and yet nothing was there. The wound on your face had taken its toll on your face." Emilia told him. "I could not love you then, but I had to watch over you. When you were with Desdemona, I was worried. You may harm her, so I did things to ....split you up."

"I stole the sash from this room to give to Iago." Emilia told him. It bought my freedom from him, but it also brought ...dark freedom from your love. Maybe I was jealous. When I left Iago, and was freed, I thought you would be mine again after you lose her. I was stupid to believe in it."

"You stole the sash?" Desdemona asked. She then pushed Emilia aside. "Why, Emilia? I did you no..."

"No, you did. You took Othello for yourself. I was jealous then. I am still." Emilia replied.

"But you had Iago." Desdemona replied.

"The bastard did not love me. He lust after me. He bought me in exchange for my father's mistake. My father had wrongly poisoned his, and he took me for the exchange. Since then, he had lusted after my body, but never was my love shared with him."

"Iago? It can't be. He was a gentleman. He was always gentle. He cried for the fallen legionnaires. That was why I felt he was too weak to lead the legion." Othello defended his friend.

"Of which, in his mind, he had clouded himself well from you. He is a bastard, a tormentor of my soul. He took me by force when he wants." Emilia told him. "With that sash, I bought my freedom, but to what? Another one was slaved by it to the extent of killing for it."

"I am sorry, Desdemona." Emilia looked to her Lady. But the other pushed her away.

"You are the cause of my troubles. We had it well, but you destroyed it." Desdemona shouted at her. "You bitch..."

Desdemona reached for the dagger that beneath the bedding to stab Emilia. She had kept it there in case Othello was rough with her. She would defend herself. After all, she was a Senate daughter; they are brought up tough like their parents; to withstand any assault on them.

"My Lady, I...." Emilia fell down to her knees and then on her side.

"You killed her." Othello spoke up. "How could you?"

Desdemona was to reply when the door was knocked.

"Othello, we are under attack. Its the tribesmen."


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...