Saturday, January 24, 2015

Loki Passage 7

7
“Loki had a family without my permission.” Odin was enraged that he called on a series of lightning on the land. He then called on that Loki be fetched to the Hall to answer for the deeds.

“What foul deed have you done?” Odin looked to the adopted son of his at the Hall. The Hall was packed with the others including Thor and Balder. Frigg had declined on the grounds that she was not the real mother of Loki.

“These are my children; Fenrir, Jogmundar and …” Loki led his last child, the tiny yet cheeky looking young babe by the hand towards Odin. “She is Hel.”

The little babe approached the leader with her wobbly steps and then laughed out loud at the monstrous looking figure. That caused the mother of the babe to rush from outside the Hall to come in and held her child.

“What monstrosity is this? Who dares to permit a Frost Giant in my Hall?” Odin barked out loud. His shout was loud that it scared Hel. The later broke out into tears while the mother soothed down her fear.

“It’s my lover, Angrbooa the Giantess.” When Loki spoke those words, the Hall resonated into a series of laughter. One of the attended also commented that it was unforgiveable for an Asgardian which they had named themselves, to cohabit with the Frost Giants. Loki heard the statement and drew out his blade on his belt but Balder stopped him.

“Do that and you will lose your life and those of theirs too.” Balder cautioned him.”Hold your tongue and let Odin speaks for you.”

It was a mistake that Loki was later to regret.

“Loki of my Hall, stand thee before me.” Odin commanded. “I have taken you into my Hall from the waste land of the battle. I have fed and clothed you for your wanted years.”

Odin paused then to let the murmuring among his fellows to quiet down. They were all aware that Loki was not his with Frigg and from there, it was all make believe or rumors of Odin’ unfaithful tryst before he became leader. Some had said Loki was one of Frigg’ with another but that was never mentioned in the Hall.

“You repay me by disappearing for a period and then return stained with a family. You have disrespected this Hall with your action.” Odin picked his words with care. He had used stained for he had a personal dislike for the Giants. He had fought them for a long period and have been wounded more times that he could recall.

“Odin..” Loki wanted to protest but Balder stepped in for him.

“Odin, I will speak for Loki. He is young and may had been misled by the …Giant.” Balder spoke out. “Please forgive his brashness. He does not love the Giant.”

With that Balder looked to Loki before he whispered.

‘Forego them. We are your family.” Balder told him. “I will find ways to care for them later.”

“Enough of your mutterings.” Odin raised his voice. “If you agreed to my terms, you will still be my son, and be protected by the Hall. Defiled me and you will be killed now.”

Loki looked to the man he had considered as his father for some years. If he fought Odin then he will die even before he could reach the man. If he chose to bid his time, he may be able to do it when he is ready. The issue then was how he was to wrangled himself out of the mess.

Loki chose his namesake.

“Dear Odin, you are my father. Of course I will believe you. I was young and …virile.” Loki grabbed his crotch and smiled. “Three childs. Not bad for your offspring, huh.”

Loki approached the lover of his. His real expression was hidden by the mask he had on then.

“Me in love with you? You must be mad for I am an Asgardian. I needed the fun and you were there.” Loki laughed. “I guess I spent too long of time with you.”

Angrbooa screamed out in pain at the remarks made by Loki and just as she was strike at him, Odin spoke out.
“Restraint your friend, Loki or we will on a harsher manner.” Odin told Loki. “Loki, I do not like to kill children but sometimes it necessary to remove them while they are young. If they are left to grow they may return to haunt you. Nevertheless, they were yours, and ….”

“They must die.” The Vizier had stepped forth. “I have listened to all that was needed. I must caution you my Lord that these children are not mere threats but they are linked to Ragnarok. It was told in the stars that a furry canine will consumed the Asgard leader. That creature could be the wolf we hold captive now.”

“How do you know, Vizier?” Odin asked.

“By it name, Fenrir.” Vizier replied but he was reputed by one other named Tyr.

“Vizier, you are getting senile.” Tyr was a warrior of the Hall and rode with Odin on many hunts. “The myth said of a furry canine but that is a cub. You are too cautious, Vizier.”

“A cub may grow and when it does it will fulfill its legacy.” Vizier spoke up. “I cannot foresee the future but I know my readings.”

“Enough!” Odin intervened. “Tyr, you may have the cub. I cared not for the myths but I will weigh in Vizier’ advise. If the cub gives any trouble, you may kill it.”

Odin then looked to the serpent coiled at the flooring. He does not like them for he had encountered many serpents. He picked up the serpent and called for it to be tossed into the Great Sea.

“I will not kill one of my son’s children, but this serpent will fight for its own survival among its own kind. The Great Sea had many predators and let them do the killing lest it stained mine. The others heeded Odin’ command and had the serpent removed. Odin looked to the young babe still holding onto the mother’s legs.

“Giantess, I will not kill one that …It looked like us.” Odin spoke up. “However it can’t live with us. I will have it lived with Frigg for a while. Then I will decide.”

No one noticed Angrbooa had loosen her restraints and then charged at Odin for her daughter but Loki stopped her. He tripped her with his leg and climbed on top of her. He held her down and whispered to her ears.

“This is not the time. Trust me.” Loki told her but she was unconvinced. She heaved him off and then crouched up.

“I am Angrbooa, the daughter of Teruinen. My father was a King…” The giant spoke up but was interrupted by Odin.

“I heard of your father, Giant.” Odin stepped up. “We fought each other a few times, but we were never really enemies nor allied friends. It was just purely for the fun of it.”

“I cared not what you and my father was before but now you taken my children. I will not allowed it even its father will not defend his own children.” Angrbooa spoke up. “My only regret was to have known the son of yours. I was tricked to love him.”

“All I asked for right now was to hold …all my children once more.” Angrbooa spoke up. “Then I will be gone.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...