Sunday, January 4, 2015

Othello the Legatus Act 4 Scene 2 part 2

Act Four Scene 2 Part 2

Iago had followed Emilia in to the room when he saw Desdemona in tears. He remained standing at the doorway.

"What did he say, my Lady?" Emilia asked.

"He accused me of cheating behind his back. He said it was the friends of his." Desdemona told her. When Emilia heard the word 'friends', she glared at Iago. She was not afraid of him, as she was freed of him upon handling the sash.

"I am sure he was under some pressure. Perhaps the trip back to Rome." Emilia tried to pacify her.

"He called me a whore. Not once but many times." Desdemona held her hands to her bosom. "Am I one, Iago?"

Iago looked surprised that he was asked. He had intended to see what transpired so that he can plan his next move. He saw the look from Emilia and then he looked to Desdemona.

"I am sure you are not one. And he was mistaken or under some undue pressure."

"A whore? No one who loved his other called that name. Even a poor man know that." Emilia replied to Iago while keeping her eyes on him. He was getting agitated but he can't do anything on her, not in front of Desdemona.

"Maybe I am jinxed with him." Desdemona rolled her eyes up.

""Don't start now. I have seen enough of crying today." Iago tried to move the discussion forward. But Emilia came in stronger.

"Desdemona, you sacrificed much for him. The number of men she had foregone; the nobles, the loyalty and the rich. You left all that to come here and be his .....love."

"I am sure we have treated you grand, my Lady." Iago came back for the defense of the other.

"Or maybe it was some grand scheme." Emilia shot back.

"That is pushing the issue to the extreme." Iago tried to retract.

"I be jinxed. The person lent a noose to the Othello to state the possible. Who was it he said you slept with? The place and time, the session of love. The Legatus was conned by some one'; a bastard whom I would love to unmask and have that person flogged. Till the skin tear off from the whip." Emilia added on.

"Hold your tongue, Lady." Iago cautioned her.

"I be darned if you dare." Emilia challenged him back. But Desdemona cut in.

"Please work on my innocence." Desdemona spoke up. "I love the man. Please find me what was unsettling him. Iago, you are his friend. Please see him. Talk to him. Work it out for me. But I am not the......whore he .....thought I was."

Then they heard the bells clanging.

"Its the call for the dinner hosted by Lodovico. We need to be there." Desdemona proceeded to wipe off her tears while Emilia helped her with her clothes. Iago left them to go down to the bar below. He was sipping his wine when he felt the tap on his shoulder.

"You a re a devious one. I been left in the cold and waiting while you lavished yourself with the ladies and drinks." Iago looked to the person who spoke.

"Roderigo. A sight for the sore eyes. Where have you been these days?"

"Speak no more of my name. You had me cheated. Sell my wealth and sailed here. Those cost me a lot of coins. Then I was stranded here, fought with an experienced legionnaire, and almost lost my life, Then I was sent to hide out and ear cold stew and stale bread."

"Not bad. A worthy sacrifice that would bring you benefits." Iago commented to Roderigo complaints.

"Patronized me no more. I am without part of my wealth now. I have placed myself in this cursed plan of yours. I have earlier showered her with jewels that cost a chunk of my wealth. A prize that would make a village of virgins to sacrificed themselves."

"You needed to be a little patience." Iago tried to calmed things down.

"No more delays. You are the cause of all my issue. I am going to see her and tell of your plan. And how I became your fool." Roderigo raised his voice.

"Hush your tone. I told you I would make amends for you."

"No more. I have already agreed not to take take part. So let me go." Roderigo told off the other.

"Roderigo, you are smart." Iago handed out his last line. "You are requested to wait for one day. By then, if Desdemona is not yours, then kill me yourself. I won't fight back."

"One day? Okay, but by this time tomorrow, you either give me Desdemona or laid your chest for me to stab." Roderigo told him.

"Othello got the order to go back to Rome. He is going to the Senate. Cassio would take over as the acting Legatus." Iago told him.

"Othello a Senator? That would put me in the queue behind a dozen others for Desdemona. I might as well kill you now."

"Not if you have him removed first." Iago told him.

"Kill Othello? You are one crazy one. I would rather kill you." Roderigo replied back.

"No, not Othello. We hit Cassio. He goes down and Othello won't leave for Rome. He would be here and then we would have more time to bring him down. And you getting Desdemona."

"Cassio, I would rather killing him." Roderigo spoke on. "He was mean to me."

"Then be prepared. Tomorrow I would be having dinner with him. He would be advised then of his appointment. I would avail him to ambush him on his way back. You would kill him." Iago told Roderigo. "He would be drunk."

"And I would do the task." With that Roderigo perked up and left the tavern.


"A fool would one day part with his .....life." Iago smiled. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...