Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Four Scene Nine Sub-Act One

 

Scene Nine

Sub-Scene One

The death of one

 

The infirmary at Caesar’s camp in the nearby town of Amsterdam, a small town of five thousand then, had a huge hall there and was furnished to be the nursing centre by Caesar for the wounded. On that day, it was filled to the brim by the wounded brought there by the trucks.

“Get me some bandages, nurse.” Doctor Goodwin called out while he tried to keep the wound from losing more blood. “Hurry up there.”

The good doctor was a veteran of the Romans’s battles, and he was used to the sight of many dying boys. He had done his share in the numerous battles, or drive-by shootouts. He was not even dressed in the white coat, but the overall red colour served him well. He had on his rubber gloves and resorted to using his elbows to rub the itch on his chin.

“Bandages, Nurse.”

“Coming, Doctor. I am looking for some.” Nurse Gray called back. They were short of nurses, bandages, and everything else needed by the doctor. Even the black coffee.

“Where is my coffee?” Doctor Goodwin called out. “I am seeing double here.”

“I have double tits, if you are looking.” Nurse Gray said. “Your coffee is... Fuck, someone poured it over that guy’s wound. We ran out of clean water.”

“It will work. The coffee is cleaner than the... Who poured my coffee?” Doctor Goodwin was experiencing withdrawal symptoms from caffeine.

“Doctor, the old man needs care.” Nurse Florence called out. The nurse led the older man to the nearest chair. “Stay here, and we will attend to you.”

“Thank you, Nurse.” The one who sat was Enobarbus. He was holding his chest with his hands. He saw the wounded boy; it was familiar, but he could not place the name.

“Son, were you in the battle?”

“Yes, Boss. I was. If the others do not come to pull us out, we will have to return here in wooden boxes. They brought us out and then told us we were to go back in the morning. It was then that I got shot.”

“That last attack was a bad one for us.” The other boy on the far side spoke. “Peter got it in the chest. Me? I was shot in the butt.”

“Boss, are you hurt?” The first boy whom Enobarbus spoke to asked.

“I am……. Please bear witness to my words. …... Bear witness to me, oh you blessed moron: when the time comes that those who rebelled are remembered with hatred, remember that poor Enobarbus repented before you for rebelling.”

“Confession, Boss?” The first boy asked. “I may say it better. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me.”

“Oh, you moron, I am telling you that royal mistress of genuine melancholy, pour down the poisonous mists of night upon me, so that I may no longer live, now that I no longer wish to.” Enobarbus struggled to speak. “She poisoned me to betray my boss.”

“I …….” The first boy was cut off by Enobarbus.

“Take my heart and throw it against my sin. which is weak from grief. It will burst into pieces, and all my bitterness with the thoughts will end with my death.” Enobarbus felt his spirit was leaving his body.

“Mark Antony, your nobility is even greater than my fault, which is terrible. I wish that you would forgive me for those sins that I have committed against you, but I want the rest of the world to remember me as a deserter and someone who abandoned his master. I…….  Oh Antony! Oh, Antony! “Enobarbus collapsed on the seat.

“He is asleep. The first boy said, “Or I think he fainted. No one ever said such a despairing prayer to lull themselves to sleep.”

“Wake up, sir, wake up. Speak to us.” The second boy limped over. “Can you hear us, Boss?”

“Death has struck him down,” Nurse Florence said as she approached the dead old man.

“Come on, then. He might still wake up.” The first boy protested.

“Do you want someone to attend to your stomach? You are spilling your guts there.” Nurse Florence looked at the boy. “You are still young and may still live. He is gone. Heaven or Hell will take him, but here I am to take you to the doctor.”

“Who the fuck throws my coffee away?” The nurse heard the doctor.

“That doctor will see you soon. Then make him a cup of coffee. He deserves it or you will die regretting not doing it.”

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene One

  Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene One Enobarbus   The figure walked in after the departure of the lieutenants and Consul. Enobarbus he...