Friday, October 4, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Five Scene Two Sub Scene One

 

Act Five

Scene Two

Sub-Scene One

The downfall of a Queen.

 

The Queen was at the tomb once more but the door was left open. She was with Iras and Charmian. Alexas was attending Mark Antony's funeral.

“Did you send my letter to Octavia?” The Queen asked.

“I did, My Queen.” Charmian reply. “It will take some days to reach her as per our instruction.”

“Yes. She may not read it or do it, but it does not matter. The end is soon.”

“My isolation has helped me better understand my life.” The Queen sighed. “No more attending to anyone. No more worries about Egypt. Mardian will do fine as the next king.

“No Queen, only the King.” The Queen smiled. “It is also no great thing to be Caesar. He does not control his own fate; he's controlled by the Consul most of the time. and does whatever is dictated. Julius saw that and was killed.”

“Indeed, the last war puts an end to everything else; it puts a stop to all the accidents of fortune and to all change; it makes us sleep forever so that we never eat food from the earth again... until that food that nourishes beggars as well as great men like Caesar becomes rancid. Then another war will erupt.”

Maecenas entered the tomb. He shudders at the coldness there.

“Caesar sends greetings to the Queen and asks what requests you have for him.”

“What is your name?’ The Queen asked. “Have we met?”

“My name is Maecenas.”

“I am still hesitant to trust people, since I do not like being deceived. If Caesar wants me, the Queen, to beg for favours from him, then you must tell him that the Queen, if she is to act appropriately, cannot ask for anything less than a kingdom.”

“If Caesar is willing to give Egypt back to me so I can make my son its ruler, then I will kneel and thank him for giving me back what is rightfully mine. “

“Take comfort, Queen. You have been conquered by a noble and generous man. Do not be afraid of anything. Make all your requests to Caesar without hesitation. His generosity is so great that he will willingly meet your needs.”

“Let me report back to him how humbly you acknowledge his power, and you will find that this conqueror will beg you to tell him new ways to show kindness to you once you've knelt down to ask him for mercy. “

“Please tell him that I am at the mercy of fortune and that I acknowledge the great power he has won through his good fortune. Every hour I learn to become more obedient, and I will gladly speak to him face-to-face. But till he agrees to my terms.” The Queen made her demand.

“I will tell him this, Queen. Take comfort, for I know that Caesar, who put you in this position, pities you for what he has done.”

Then the Romans rushed in and took the Queen and her maids as prisoners.

“I duly apologize, Queen, but we have to take you into custody.” Maecenas told the Queen. “It is for your protection.”

“Oh Queen! You are captured, Queen.” Charmian cried out. It was then that the Queen drew out the dagger hidden in her dress.

“Stop, worthy lady, stop! Do not do yourself such a wrong. We are trying to help you, not betray you.” Maecenas acted fast and disarmed the Queen.

“You are depriving me of my death, too? Even dogs are allowed to die to avoid prolonged suffering.” The Queen screamed out.

“Queen, do not show such ingratitude to my master's generosity by killing yourself. Let the world have a chance to see how nobly he acts; if you die, his nobility cannot be displayed.” Maecenas halted her action. “Please lay down the dagger.”

“You should know, sir, that I would not wait around to be a captive at your master's court or to be judged with solemn looks from dull Octavia. Shall they hoist me up and display me to the shouting mobs of Rome with all their harsh judgments?” The Queen looked at her captors. “I would rather have a friendly grave in a ditch in Egypt. I had rather be laid stark naked in the mud on the shores of the Nile and let water flies lay eggs on me until I became disgusting. I would rather...”

“Say no more, Queen. You will learn from Caesar that you are alarming yourself needlessly.” Maecenas assured the Queen. It was then that Dolabella arrived.

“Maecenas, Caesar sent for you. His messenger is at the yard. I will handle her.” Dolabella looked at the departure of the others. He dismissed the guards and left the ladies free.

“Do not be alarmed, Queen. Just tell me what you want Caesar to hear.” 

“Tell him I wish to die.” The Queen told the Romans.

“Listen to me, dear Queen. Your loss is great because you yourself are great, and you bear it like the heavy burden it is. May I never achieve the success I seek if this is not true: that from sympathizing with your grief, I feel a grief that strikes deep in my own heart.”

“I thank you, sir. Do you know what Caesar intends to do with me?” The Queen asked.

“It pains me to tell you what I want you to know.” Dolabella sighed.

“No, please, go on, sir.” The Queen looked at him.

“Even though Caesar is honourable... I have been his lieutenant for years. I guard the mansion. I have seen things that others may have to do. He is….”

“He will lead me in his triumphal procession and in parade to all of Rome.” The Queen said.

“Yes, Queen. He will. I know it.” Dolabella said. He heard steps. “Caesar is here. He told me he would come. Please do not overreact. I have other plans for you.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene One

  Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene One Enobarbus   The figure walked in after the departure of the lieutenants and Consul. Enobarbus he...