Friday, October 4, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Five Scene One Sub Scene One

 

 Act Five

Scene One

Sub-Scene One

The obituary was read then.

 

At the mansion in Rome, Caesar was talking about Mark Antony. He was with Agrippa, Dolabella, Maecenas, and others who were appointed to the Consuls of Rome.

“Go to Mark Antony once, Dolabella, and tell him to surrender. His delay in doing so makes him look ridiculous. I will not pardon him, but he be in exile.” Caesar told the other. The others seated there nodded. They knew what means to Caesar. He did that with Pompey, Lucius was unheard for some time. Rumours were that he had died.

So was Lepidus.

Dolabella took his leave. It was then that Demetrius arrived from Egypt. He was holding a gun.

“What is that? Guards!” Caesar called out. “Who are you to dare appear before me armed?”

“My name is Demetrius. I served Mark Antony, my boss. I used my life to oppose those who hated him. I surrender my life to you.” Demetrius looked at Caesar. “This is Mark Antony’s gun.”

“What do you mean? Is he surrendering?” Caesar asked. “He should. He is defeated.”

“Caesar, Mark Antony is dead. That is his gun.”

“He is dead? How?”

“He was shot. One of his boys shot him.”

“It should cause a greater disturbance when his boys shot him.” Caesar laughed. “He deserved it. It is also sad that someone so great dies. The world should have shaken so much that lions left their dens and entered the city streets, and the citizens fled to the lions' dens. That was his doing.”

“His death was not the death of an ordinary man. He controlled a vast empire.” Maecenas spoke of Mark Antony. It annoyed Caesar then. 

“Mark Antony is dead but he was not killed by a public minister of justice or a hired assassin. With a courageous heart, he killed himself with the same hand with and he performed many honourable acts. That is his gun. I took it away after it wounded him. See how it is stained with his most noble blood.” Demetrius corrected the lie he told. u

“You lied. Do you expect us to weep?? But this news is enough to make even a king cry but I would not.” Caesar looked at Demetrius. “I will have you shot.”

“Hold your action, Caesar.” Agrippa intervened.

“Even in death, Mark Antony's loyalty is fought by his boys. I salute that.” Maecenas praised Mark Antony.

“No man was ever governed with such an uncommonly noble spirit. But the gods give us some faults to make us human. Caesar, do not be emotional over the news. Mark Antony is dead. We move on.” Agrippa defused the anger.

“Yes, I had overreacted.” Caesar sighed. “I was angry, but not anymore. Mark Antony, I was trying to end your life, but we must get rid of a disease if it threatens our bodies. Either I would have had to die, or you would have. The world was not big enough for both of us.”

“I will weep at your death. You are still my half-sister’s husband. You are my greatest competitor, my co-ruler of the empire, my friend and companion on the battlefield, the arm of my own body, and to whom I confided all my thought.”

“Caesar, I brought a messenger from Egypt. He waits outside.” Demetrius said to Caesar: Caesar: “May he come in to deliver his message?”

“The day is full of surprises.” Caesar smiled. “Do send him in.”

“My Queen greets you, Caesar. My Queen remained in Egypt and awaits your call. She is alone. All that she has a few. She wants to know what you intend to do so that she can prepare herself for her fate.”

“Tell her to take comfort. I will soon send some messengers to tell her how honourable and kind my plans are for her.” Caesar told the messenger. “For it is impossible for me not to be gracious and noble in this moment of sadness.”

The messenger left the mansion.

Preventing. Come here, Maecenas. Go and tell Cleopatra that we have no intention of disrespecting her. Give her comforts she requires, given her current emotional state. Otherwise, her nobility may lead herself, preventing me from gaining undying glory by bringing her to Rome as my captive. Go, and then report back with her response quickly and tell me how she appears.” Caesar told the other. “See me before you leave.”

“Dolabella? I want you to go with Maecenas.” Caesar said. “Oh, he is not here. I will send for him to see you there in Egypt.”

“As for you, dear boy of Mark Antony, do return to Egypt and await my call.”


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene One

  Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene One Enobarbus   The figure walked in after the departure of the lieutenants and Consul. Enobarbus he...