Monday, October 14, 2024

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene One

 

Act One

Scene Two

Sub-Scene One

Enobarbus

 

The figure walked in after the departure of the lieutenants and Consul. Enobarbus held a firm frame then, with aa wide shoulder, aa thick swath of dark hair, and a thin moustache that he trimmed daily on his upper lip. He was dressed like any other; he wore a striped blue suit and held the fedora in his left hand.

“Sit, Enobarbus.” Caesar offered the middle-aged junior lieutenant.

“Thanks, Caesar.” Enobarbus took the seat, which was two seats from Mark Antony. He had heard of Mark Antony but never met him. met him. Or they may have in some battles, but with the bullets whizzing past the ears, it was pardonable not to remember who was nearby.

“I read the reports of you handling the warehouses. You got the inventories right and the boys sorted out.” Enobarbus did and shipped out two of the boys in the crates to the high sea on a one-way journey. They were on the take from the Parthians.

“Enobarbus, meet Mark Antony.” Caesar introduced them then. “I want you to assist Mark on the cases of the murders. He is only back in Rome.”

“Murder cases? Caesar, I am not an expert.” Mark raised his protest.

“Enobarbus is an ex-cop and joined us after some issues with his captain. He was previously with the Vice Section and busted some good operations.” Caesar spoke of Enobarbus past. “He will be your sniff dog.”

“Do we have any issues here, Enobarbus?” Caesar asked.

“No, Caesar. I will do my best.”

“You do that. Sniff out what the cops are doing with the cases. I am sure they have some leads, or suspects, or whatever; just get it done.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus looked at Mark. “Pleasure to be of service to you, Boss.”

“Caesar, if I may be excused, excused, I want to see my family.” Mark stood up. “It had been some......”

“Go. I will need to speak to Enobarbus on other matters.”

“Thank you, Caesar.” Mark took his leave.

“Enobarbus, while you are there, lean on the captain by the name Elliot Ness. That new guy is from Florida and is part of the Treasury Team. I was advised that he was told to assist in the murder case of Moses. He is paired up with Best. You know the ‘Best’ guy??”

“We started together as a team, but since I left for Vice, we lost touch.” Enobarbus said.

“He was in crime, and he never asked you for favours? Like a free filly.” Caesar looked at Enobarbus. The latter knew better than to tell a lie to Caesar. He had ears and eyes everywhere.

“He was cleaned there. He did do some takes on opium.”

“Yes, I recalled. Skinny wag they called him, but he is a mean fighter.” Caesar smiled. “Get him some sticks from the tongs. And when you are there, check on Tiger Wong. He may know something we do not have.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus nodded.

“Enobarbus, this is a favour of mine. Watch over Mark Antony. He is a tough guy, but being too far away from Rome may have dulled his reflexes. Watch over him well. He is my cousin.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus nodded again.

“And I am expecting a delegate from Egypt. I heard you had some dealings with them.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus nodded. “There was a dispute over some missing crates. We sorted it out later.”

“Who did you deal with?”

“Mr. Mardian was his name. Young dark frame with a mean attitude.” Enobarbus said. “We almost drew guns.”

“You did?” Caesar asked.

“Nope. He was outgunned and decided that diplomacy was better. We recovered the crates, and he shipped them by those barges to Egypt.”

“Do you know Mardian is not a Medjay. They are the Pharoah’s’ personal guards. Mardian reports to the half=-sister, Lady Cleop.” Enobarbus told Caesar.

“Mardian? He is a mean bastard, as I was told. He does not have any balls on him.” Caesar smiled. “I made him tougher.”

“Eunuch, Caesar?” Enobarbus was curious. “I did not see below the belt.”

“I know you will not. You are an eagle, always on top.” Caesar smiled. “Go good on the murders, and I will send you to Egypt soon.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus nodded. “Am I assigned to Mark Antony?”

“Yes. Do you have any beef with him?’

“No, Caesar. I knew him by reputation. I served with him, but he may not recall a younger version of me.”

“Do your best. He is a good man.” Caesar looked at the others. “Find out who is killing our boys.”

“Yes, Caesar.” Enobarbus smiled,

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene One

  Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene One Enobarbus   The figure walked in after the departure of the lieutenants and Consul. Enobarbus he...