Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Loyal Lieutenants Act One Scene Two Sub Scene Two

 

Act One

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Two

Fulvia

 

Lady Fulvia, who held a goddess influence in Rome, was the daughter of an influential founder member of the Romans. She was a model for negotiation of power, married at an early age to one of the earlier members of the Romans, Clodius. She held the reins of power behind her husband. He died prematurely, and she married another, Curio.

Cicero, her second husband and close associate of Curio, needed the consolidation of power and accused Fulvia of adultery. Fulvia was seen in the company of a younger man named Mark Antony. He approached Caesar to state his concern. Mark Antony was sent to the Sicilians, and that ended the assumed affair.

It was not so.

There were rumours that Mark returned to Rome unannounced and met Fulvia during her marriage to Curio. It was all unfounded. Curio died in battle, and Fulvia was free. She then got the nickname Gaia the Goddess; you end up in her bed and then buried in earth.

Cicero was relentless in discrediting Fulvia, but she still retained the support of gangs formerly ruled by her first husband, Clodius. Unknown to many, she was involved with Mark as well as some others. Life without a lover was lonely. She was elated that Mark was back.

Fulvia did marry Mark then.

“We will have our own children.” Mark breathed into Fulvia’s left ear.

“Are you sure you want one?” Fulvia had said. “I thought we agreed to no children.”

Fulvia had her own two sons from her previous marriage to Curio and thereafter did not want the burden of it with Mark.

“Yes, we did. But I would not mind one of my own.” Mark smoothed the lady he married with more kisses. He had returned that day, and with the buildup of lust, he had to make love to his wife.

“Hold on, darling. We have spent too much time in bed.” Fulvia pulled herself away. “You had been released twice in the last hour.”

“I did, as it had been a long time since we slept in bed.” Mark turned to his left side. “The Sicilians are a good host, but I was not to be caught with my pants down.”

“I am sure there are other ladies there.” Fulvia got out of bed and stretched her body to ease the cramps. It was a sight to behold, for ‘Gaia’ does not only hold the power over men but also the beauty of Venus there.

“There were, but I was not keen.” Mark sighed. “I was constantly on alert for any actions. When I was in bed... alone, I slept with my gun under the blanket.”

“You do. I knew that gun of yours well. It grew when touched.” Fulvia had put on the silk gown and then reached for a non-filtered cigarette.

“I was not referring to Mickey. I have my real gun there in case any assassin walks in.” Mark smiled. “It was an uneasy stay there.”

“Why are you back?” Fulvia asked. “Was it to do me a one-night stand and then leave again?”

“I am back for good. The Sicilian deal is agreed.” Mark smiled. “I have reported to Caesar. Now will you come back to bed?”

“No. I am not. I need to rest now.” Fulvia smiled. “You could handle yourself.”

“I want you. I need you. We can get the child. You had two with... Mark pleaded then. Fulvia tossed a tantrum at him.

“We discussed this before, Mark. I am not keen on having another child. We agreed on it.” Fulvia snapped at him.

“I am sorry. I did not...” Mark apologised.

“Find yourself a mother who holds the huge breasts of milk.” Fulvia was upset. “I am...”

“You are fine, darling.” Mark rushed to hold the lady he married. “I love you.”

“I know. And I know you wanted one of your own, but I am not ready.” Fulvia sighed. “Not in Rome.”

Fulvia walked to the bidet and released the load that was in her. She saw Mark had gotten out of bed and wrapped himself in a towel. He was to get the cold shower then. It was his therapy for the rejection. She sat there and thought of children. It is not easy to be a mother when your children are always at risk of being killed or maimed by your enemies. Clodius and Curio had their share of enemies, and so does Mark. She saw the threats they would pose to her.

“Cicero, do not ever threaten my children.” Fulvia had shouted at each other when they last met at the mansion.

Cicero, the short, stubby figure, looked at the lady called the Goddess. They met there at the request of Julius Caesar, who tried to pacify the conflict.

“I am nobody’s slut either.” Fulvia raised her voice. She was not afraid of Caesar there.

“I am the children's godfather." Why would I hurt then?” Cicero defended himself. “I was just asking that the children spend the summer with me at...”

“They are mine. They will stay with their mother.” Fulvia looked at Caesar. “Caesar, call him off my family or I will...”

“Shoot me? You are mad. I …...” Cicero sneered at the lady.

“As you had told rumours of me and Merk Antony, I was faithful to my husband. When he died, I mourned for his death.”

“A short period it was, and then you wed Mark Antony.” Cicero cut in. “If …….”

“Stop it now!” Julius Caesar called out in rage. “Both of you are to stop.”

“I have decided to send Mark Antony to the Sicilians. He was to rebuild our trust there. He will leave tomorrow.” Caesar made his call and then looked at Cicero. “You will not go near Fulvia’s children or harass her.”

“Caesar, I...” On rare occasions, Cicero, the great orator among the Romans, was at a loss for words. He was also their advocate in the judicial courts to argue any accusations.

“My mind is made up. Fulvia will stay at Mark’s place. Cicero, you will not come near her or the children. You will reside outside of Rome.” Julius spoke to the advocate.

“Caesar, I have my duties to...”

“They shall find another advocate then.” Caesar told the other. “Get your things and leave in a week.”

Caesar was not to be ignored. Cicero left the mansion then.

“Fulvia, I valued my days with Clodius and Curio. And, Cicero. They are good men.” Caesar looked at the lady. “Your anger made me force my hand onto the advocate. I may not know why, but one day I will be damned by your kindness. Leave here and...”

“I loved my husbands. I will attend to my family, which now includes Mark Antony.” Fulvia bowed to Caesar. “I will leave now.”

Fulvia left Caesar without saying another word. She had stayed away from Caesar and the mansion since then, but her work on the boys, which included Mark Antony's, was never completed. She drew the territories of her husband and will not tolerate any intruders.

Cicero left Rome, but his anger with Fulvia did not. 

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...