Friday, April 9, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 17

 

17.

“Esmeralda, I need to see you on an urgent matter.” Marcus appeared before Esmeralda at the basement chamber.

“Let me go. I am not your chey, and you are not my padre.”

“You are whether you accept it or not. I hold the documents proof to your birth.’ Marcus had taken the hard stand with the girl. “You will …”

“I am not going to oblige you. I am a member of the Community. We have our own acknowledgement of birth and the record is with the Voivode.” Esmeralda replied in anger. “You do not come into my life after shrinking from your responsibility as a padre for many years, and demanding that I accepted you back.”

“It’s not a choice of wants. I am your padre and you are of the age where I have to…. Still have to decide for you. My call to you is to listen now.” Esmeralda had ignored the other’s call and stepped towards the windowless wall.

“Have I a choice? You placed me here in ….detention chamber.” Esmeralda explained her predicament.

“You should be happy that you are still alive. If not for the droid, you would have been dead.” Marcus looked to the girl. “I had to explain to the authorities that you slipped and survived the fall.”

“Why did you tell them that? Are you afraid of the authorities? Maybe you have a secret past.”

“We all have a past and whether it’s secret or not, that remained to be …secret.” Marcus swallowed his words. He was not ready to reveal his past. It’s his past that had caught up with him. “I have a request for you.”

Marcus was to continue speaking when he saw the arrival of the subject matter he was to raise.

“I won’t wait, Marcus.” Pierre looked at the Archdeacon whom he had addressed personally. Esmeralda was surprised that the person standing there was one with the Community. He was the Minstrel.

“Minstrel? I thought…”

“Hello, Esmeralda. I had to see you. Did you miss me?” Pierre looked at her. “I may be known to you as the Minstrel. My name is … rather my real name is Pierre Gringoire. I …”

“Get out! The both of you.” Esmeralda shouted out.

“Marcus, get her in line. We have a deal.” Pierre looked at the Archdeacon. “If you…”

“Don’t threaten me, Elite. I know my side of the bargain.” Marcus snapped back. He watched the Elite member leave then and was surprised to have another visitor.

“Rival, what are you doing here?” The Archdeacon looked at his brother.

“What deal did you do with the Elite? I overheard the conversation.”

“He …. He… He held a secret over me.” The Archdeacon sighed. “When I was at the Reformed place, I was not… It was not all peaceful at all. I killed someone there and … a member of the Elite helped me to cover it up. Pierre was the son of that person. It was his father who got me to come to Dome. It was all planned for me to ascend and in return I will do his bidding. That was why you see Pierre here often as a guest. I did not know what he had intended to do with the Community but he made me … he got me to get him in. He had been with the Community for some years now.”

“You betrayed the Community? If they ever know that the Elites had joined them, it will be the death of you and me. And him. The Voivode will not tolerate it even though he is …”

“Don’t mention mother here. She is no more…..” The Archdeacon sighed. It was then the voice of Esmeralda was heard once more.

“Get out! All of you.” The girl screamed.

“You will not have a say on the matter” The Archdeacon replied in anger. “As long as I am Padre and …Archdeacon, I will hold the say in all matters.”

“I am arranging your marital vows for you. You will wed Pierre Gringoire tomorrow at dawn. There you will not be of my concern but to your marital husband.” The Archdeacon glared at the girl. “My biggest regret was to bring you back to my life.”

“Marcus! She is …” Rival reacted in disbelief. He had not known of her until then. “You can’t be doing this. It will be the death of her soul.”

“Don’t you coach me on the lessons of life. You were no better. You were with the Truands. How many lives were destroyed by your works? You created hoax and scams to take their wealth. You had no care for them.”

“Marcus, it was my past. I had paid for it with my … repentance here.” Rival replied. “I have repented. I am pursuing with father’s work to make the droids more …humane. I am bringing life to the droids.”

“Like her, I had to take you in like a wounded creature. Both of you were nurtured by me and this is what I get in return.” The Archdeacon removed the mask. “I am Marcus Luiz inside of me. That is my weakness. If I am with the mask, I am Claude Frollo and Claude Frollo held no such compassion.”

“Marcus, I …”

“Get out, Rival. As for you, Esmeralda. Get ready tomorrow. We will do it here at the Dome.” Marcus looked at the girl. “I will give the display as you going away gift.”

“Consider it our last gift to you, your padre and mama.”

If only I have a gift. May be I do. 

Myself.

I can be her companion.

E-Series.

E-05 my reference.

Call me Quasimodo.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...