Friday, April 16, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 20

 

20.

“We must go.” The girl voiced once more. It is around.” I heard the shouts. I knew if I am found, death awaits me. I cannot be caught. They won’t understand me. I am not like them.

“No, I am not them.” I was confused in the thoughts. It hurts when I think. I do not what my Master did to me but there were conflicts in the logic. I wanted to move with the girl but my other programs kicked in. I am prevented from leaving there.

“We have to move, whatever you may be named. He called you Quasimodo and I can’t do it alone. I … I need your help.” The girl pleaded with me. I had to respond but I was unsure. It was not logical approach to the query.

“So be it. I will move on.” The girl moved to the doorway then she screamed. She was held in the right hand by the Enforcer who had appeared there.

“You are not going anywhere. The Captain …” I heard the Enforcer and my reaction were called in to help her. I lashed out with my right upper limb at the Enforcer in the left shoulder. I hit with an impact that will crack the bones there.

“James, I am hurt.” The Enforcer called out when he released the girl’s hand. The other Enforcer came rushing in and I did the unthinkable. I rammed the second Enforcer and caused the other to fall back against the back wall.

“Droid, how …” I lashed out with my upper right limbs at the wounded Enforcer. It was a fatal hit on the face. The Enforcer went down writhing in pain.

“We can move now.” The girl had retrieved the blaster from the dying Enforcer. I stood there looking at her. I was in conflict in my programs. I made up my decision.

“We go to the top.” I told the girl.

Esmeralda heard the droid. She was unsure of what to do. She had taken the blaster out of instinct. She looked to the corridor. The rear door was to her estimate about a run of thirty seconds.

“Ok. We will move now”. Esmeralda spoke to the droid. Then she stopped.

“We…. I need to see the totem. I must if I am to go.” Esmeralda looked at the droid. “Take me there.”

Outside at the yard, the Enforcers had withdrawn to the Dome inside leaving half their numbers outside. The Dome Enforcers were trained as guards and lack of battle simulations. The Community was better off with their skirmishes with the Enforcers to whoever that disliked them.

“Voivode, we are down to twenty five but our ammo is low.” The leader of the Stravos reported to the Voivode. “Our rear scouts reported of the battle between the Truands and the City Enforcers.”

“Truands?” The Voivode was baffled. Then she nodded. “Rival? It must be. He is alive.”

“Storm the Dome. We need to get her.”

At the start of the road, Chief Raoul knew when the odds were against the others. He had to call in reinforcements but it may be late.

“Withdraw to the Dome. We will hold the fort there.” The Chief called out and boarded to the vehicle. He took off followed by six of his own guards. They drove past the Community vehicles and pulled up at the entrance. They got off and ran towards the entrance.

“Where is Pierre Gringoire?”

“I am here.” Pierre approached the Chief.

“Rizal Luiz is here. He may…”

“The key to the Vault. He has it?” Pierre’s eyes beamed out. “It still remained locked inside the Dome”

“He better be or I will make him suffer.” Raoul replied.

Esmeralda followed the droid to the display unit that housed the totem. She had seen the many artifacts there from the stone from the moon centuries ago, to the ancient broadsword believed to be the fabled Excalibur but unproven nevertheless valuable to the Dome, the set of guns that was worn on the belt of General Mac Arthur to the Spartan Metal Shield or the legendary Grail Cup which was a wooden carved goblet to the porcelain saucer of the Emperor of China in its glorious dynasty or the curved bow of the Great Khan. Or the playwrights notes from the one named the Bard.

None of these items excited her but the totem as she was told to see.

“Here is your display.” Esmeralda heard the droid and over took it to see the display.

“It’s … small.” Esmeralda stared at the porcelain clay designed of the towering structure with the soaring eagle with its wings spread perched on the top. It stood at over eight inches high with the wings span at seven inches, and it was small if you compared to the huge frame of the last alligator on the land that lengthened to twenty feet.

“What is that?” Esmeralda points to the rectangle translucent material case.

“It’s an analog magnetic tape recording format for audio recording and playback. It was developed circa 1963 but this one was in 1976. It contains the data storage of the archaic songs.” The droid replied to Esmeralda. “It was probably the only surviving unit. And broken.”

Esmeralda looked at the label on the case.

“Hotel California by the Eagles, 1976.”

There was a paper with the text before the case. On it was written;

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (any time of year)

You can find it here

Songwriters: Glenn Lewis Frey / Don Felder / Donald Hugh Henley

Hotel California lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...