Sunday, April 11, 2021

Trojan War Chapter 49

 

49.

On both sides of the war, allies gathered to offer their respects to the dead warrior. On the Trojan side, the funeral pyre was held on the tip of the mountainside that was extended out as a narrow ledge. The pyre was a ‘T’ design layout garlanded with exotic flowers and a small structure was built to lay the dead warrior. Hector was interned inside his armor and the damaged headpiece placed by his feet. The curved sword was on his chest and the damaged shield was placed over his legs.

“Hector of Troy came to me as a younger warrior then; inexperienced but he had partaken in the hunt for the Opsillian monster which had taken many warrior lives. He was to bring me the carcass of the monster, dragging it in by himself. He was half the monster dimension but he heads greater strength.” King Priam spoke at the eulogy for the warrior. “I did offer him a position at our elite academy and he embraced it. He was a great warrior and soon became a frigate commander. He was in the few wars that we had to fight; against the Spartans, the Argos, and even now against all of them.”

“I cannot compare Hector to any of us here. He is exceptional.
 King Priam sighed. “However, the war is not over. We may be at our end and the siege on our two remaining planets had begun.”

King Priam had recalled the fleet to the planet's atmosphere.

“The real barrier which prevented the final attack is not the fleet but the shield and cannons are not the real bastions. Unfortunately, the resources we hold are limited and from what I was told, we may cease to have that power.”

That drew murmurs and fear among the gathered.

“I share this with you to say that I am moving to negotiate a truce with the others. We have to end the war or the war will end us.”

On the surface of the planet Archaeon, the ceremony of Patroclus was held in memoriam attended by three leaders only.

“Patroclus was sent to his homeworld for the final rites but we will hold our own here for him. He was a great leader like the other two of you.” Agamemnon looked at Odysseus and Achilles. “The action of Patroclus was reckless but he took it regardless to end the war. Unfortunately, it ended his life. And the war did not. We are still at war. I have recalled the fleets to lay siege there on the last remaining planets. It was not to lengthen the war but we must win the war. Not for Patroclus alone but for all of us.”

“I had killed Hector with my anger.” Achilles confessed. “I could have accepted his surrender but I wanted to end his life. For Patroclus. For the many who had died in this war.”

“My apologies for bringing into this conflict. It was my fault.” Odysseus looked at Achilles. “You were not to battle as your mother had stated …”

“My mother was wrong. She had me sheltered among the supposed weaker sides at Lycomedes but she does not know the true extent of the women there.” Achilles told the other two.

“I learned more from them that I may not learn from our warriors.” Achilles continued. “The women are a formidable gender. They learned from what they could listen to and read. They are not aggressive but they are planners. I learned from them how to control my anger and when I failed here, I doused myself with wine to avoid having to see them again.”

“There was one thing I learned well there. My inner nature to be aggressive may the only thing that may just help me in this war. And my life perhaps. Note this, that was nothing last forever. Let us end this war.”

“Well said, Achilles but I was to learn a new revelation of this war. We have within us spies for the Trojan.” Odysseus told the others. “Let me introduce you to the one who showed me the proof.”

Odysseus activated the hologram switch on his right wrist to call on the informer.

“Meet Sineon of Macedonia.” Odysseus introduced the other. Agamemnon's first reaction was disdain at the sight of the one named there.

“Sineon? Or Thamalise. Or whatever he may name himself to do his tasks.” Agamemnon grew agitated. “He who was once in my circle of friends was named Nincan of Argos. He was trading in many commodities and among it was weapon-grade materials. He absconded when I found that he supplied me with faulty materials. I had a bounty over his head.”

“Report, Sineon.” Odysseus told the other.

“I found the evidence of Trojan reports of our fleet at the hidden archive encrypted in the hidden compartment. And I found…”

“Speak the name, Sineon.” Achilles cut in.

“Palamedes. He is under the control of the Trojan.” Sineon revealed the name.

“You are obsessed. Stop it, Odysseus. Palamedes is not the enemy.” Agamemnon reacted to the name. “Palamedes had served me..”

“I am not here on a hunt, Agamemnon. I do not see how Palamedes could have acted fairly for you when I hold evidence he had hidden in the compartment.”

“I…” Agamemnon was cut off by Achilles.

“Stop it both of you. I will get the truth from Palamedes. I am an independent one.” Achilles set the rules.

It was not long before Palamedes had met Achilles at the great lake on Macedonia One. The leader was recalled from the fleet. He was upset at being recalled on seeing the two was in the armored suit. Palamedes was also in his.

“Who called me..” Palamedes did not get the reply he wanted. Odysseus had slammed into the other and they both crashed into the lake. Odysseus laid fists at Palamedes and they went beneath the lake surface. Palamedes being the younger warrior manage to take the upper hand and the opportunity came. Palamedes slammed the right fist into Odysseus' face shield.

The shield at Odysseus' head shield collapsed and it was then when death was imminent he felt the pull of his body from the lake. He was then dropped to the dry surface. He turned to look and saw Achilles had emerged from the lake in his golden suit. He had tossed both Palamedes and Odysseus out.

Achilles rushed at Palamedes and with his anger inside him, he slammed his right fist into Palamedes in the face.

“You cannot kill my friend, traitor.”

Later, Achilles confronted Odysseus.

“Why did you attack first? He was to be questioned.”

“I have no regrets of killing him. He had once dangered my son. I will not tolerate it. And the proof of his treason was discovered in the chamber.That is adequate proof for me.” Odysseus looked at Achilles.

“And it was not me who killed him. You did it.” Odysseus then walked away, On the shuttle leaving the planet, Sineon transmitted his report to King Priam.

“Palamedes is dead.”

“Your credit tabs will be sent to you now.” King Priam replied. The King sighed. He disliked the war and more the ways it was done but needed.

“Archaeon lost a leader and I lost a friend. Palamedes was with me as the liaison of the Archaeon.” King Priam sighed. “I like him.”

“King Priam if I may see you now.” It was Helen of Troy.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...