Sunday, April 11, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 19

 

19.

“You are a fool, if you think death will be your salvation.” Rival held the girl in his arms. He had appeared in time to see the girl charging at the solid wall. He was near her to pull her back but the girl had tripped and hit the side of her head on the left side.

Rival had held the girl and looked at the wound. It was bleeding, and medical attention.

“Quasimodo, get here and bring the medical kit.” Rival hit the communication unit. He cannot abandon the girl nor can he do much without the medical kit. Quasimodo had wheeled in fast and handed over the medical kit. Rival picked up the scanner from the kit and used it to do the diagnostics. He then took the bandages kit and applied the kit.

“I..” Esmeralda had awakened.

“Girl, don’t move. I am trying to treat your wound. Why did you try to kill yourself?” Rival asked.

“I was not killing myself. I was terminating my existence. What is a existence without the right to choose?” Esmeralda sat up and then looked at Rival.

“Who are you? I can’t remember much. The …..pain is intense.”

“I am Rival Luiz, your….uncle…”

“You are …padre’s …” Esmeralda retreated from Rival. “I cannot be with you.”

“No, girl. You need not fear me. I am here to get you out.” Rival looked at her. “We don’t have much time. They will be here…”

“Enforcers arriving.” I sounded the alert. I picked up the signals from my sensors.

“Come with me, girl. I know of an exit out of here.” Rival told the girl. “I won’t take you but you can follow… Quasimodo. Take this with you. It’s the box for the key they want.”

It was a small rectangle box with a flap.

“Get to the totem and placed the item there into it. It will reveal the key.” Rival then turned to me.

“Take her now, Quasimodo. Got to rear door at basement sub level 2.” Rival gave me the command. I am giving you the new command override. Stefan Luiz.”

When I got the verbal command, I felt a part of me was opening up. A new part of me wanted to desist but my program or rather my hidden program kicked in. It revealed to me that I was to help her.

“Go now.” Rival gave me probably his last command. I grabbed the girl’s right elbow. I nudged her there to move. She did and we moved out. I took the girl along the corridors to the rear door. We reached it and then I stopped.

“My master….” I called up the text. The girl saw it.

“He is not coming. He wants us to escape.” I heard the girl. I then heard the shouts and the sounds of the shots. It was back at the girl’s chamber. Then I heard the shots from the yard.

“We must go.” The girl voiced once more.

“It is around.” I heard the shouts. I knew if I am found, death awaits me. I cannot be caught. They won’t understand me. I am not like them.

“No, I am not them.” I was confused in the thoughts. It hurts when I think.

“Quasimodo, we need to get clear.” I looked towards to the voice. I was baffled how she knew my name.

“We got to get out.” The girl pulled me there then.

On the front yard, Captain Phoebus had to push the Archdeacon inside the Dome. They were waiting for the Elite arrival but he did not come alone. His vehicle was pursued by the others. The Elite vehicle skidded at the yard and the occupant at the front.

“It’s the Community. They were in pursuit of me. They must have learned of my marriage to the Esmeralda.” Pierre Gringoire had run in for cover next to the Archdeacon. They were attacked by the Community warriors with blasters and rifles. The twenty guards had lost three of their own before they took cover.

“How did they…:” Archdeacon called out. “Never mind, call for reinforcements. Call the City Enforcers.”

Captain Phoebus had done it but he was alarmed when the other responded that they were engaging the Truands.

“We are at the road to the Dome but the Truands had it barricaded. We are engaging.” Chief Raoul responded. “I have more on the way.”

“Captain, have two of your enforcers are to check on Esmeralda?” The Archdeacon called on the other.

“Is Esmeralda okay?” Pierre displayed his concern.

“She will be. She was until you made me do this. Now we have the Community to take her back.” The Archdeacon looked at the other. He removed his mask then spoke to the Elite.

“If we survive this, our deal is off. I will take Esmeralda away.” Pierre did not reply to the Archdeacon. He had picked up the communicator and relayed a message off.

It was a distress call to the Truands.

His mistake was that he was unaware of the predicament at the road.

Mistakes cause lives to be sacrificed.



 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...