Sunday, April 11, 2021

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.2 Chapter 18

 

18.

At the break of dawn, the Archdeacon stood at the steps to the main doorway to the Dome. He had worn his official uniform and cloak with the mask. He was accompanied by the full complement of Enforcer of twenty guards lined up in two rows with the Captain in the fore. The Captain was with a expressionless face. The Archdeacon knew he was upset from the conversation they had prior to the event.

“You are mad, Claude.” The Captain looked at the Archdeacon. “Are you really mad?”

“I am not mad. I am ….pressed to oblige. You may not understand but the past have caught up with me. I have not much time and strength to fight ahead. I am to concede defeat but I am not to lie down and die. I need the respite for the moment.”

“You are sacrificing your … daughter …for that.” The Captain was told of the identity of Esmeralda.

“Yes, I am. I have ….”

“You are truly mad. Considering all the things that we did, I had no remorse but this round, I am in anger. I am but not at you. It’s at me for creating the monster in you.” Captain Phoebus turned away. He then stopped. “Let us get it done. After this is over, I am leaving he Dome.”

Not everyone was to give in.

The Caretaker was absent, choosing to stay away and was at the sub-level basement. He had recalled all the working droids back to the charging spots.

“The bastard doesn’t deserve to be …. God, I am upset.” Rival could not face the event. He could not see his eyes at the young girl. He does not know her but it was not to be agreed. He approached the droids.

“You are bastards. Motionless there. Lifeless without a soul.” Rival approached E-05.

“Quasimodo, you are the exception. If you still have … my works in you, work out the soul in you. I knew you had shown that when you saved the girl, but I wished you could do more.” Rival sighed holding the connector he was to plug into the droid. “The damages in you need some new uploads and the parts to be changed, is not here now. I need to get it shipped in.”

“You know if you are ..... like us that is alive you may do something more. Those of us who are the living, sometimes move when we are in pain or hurt. We drive ourselves to do the impossible even it may mean our death.”

At that moment,. I flashed the text on the screen at my chest.

“What is death?”

Rival was surprised at the display. He stopped momentarily.

“Death is the equivalent of termination.” Rival sighed. I could not register death but the term termination did registered. I may be a droid and had never experienced termination although it was in my program.

Termination was shutdown.

“Stay there, Quasimodo. We are insignificant to the event today. Let us recover together.” Rival assured himself although he was talking to the droid. He then changed his mind.

“I will check on the girl.” It was then Rival noticed the droid E-05 moved. “You are to stay here, Quasimodo. You are not fully restored. I will return to complete the repairs.”

I felt fine but my frame was connected to the charging spot. I ran my own diagnostics soon after the Master left. I am in need of repairs but …” It was not to my crucial programs but I felt great. I will be stay there.

For now.

If someone that needed repair, it should have been Esmeralda but she was not. She was still at the basement chamber. She had taken to face the walls, dressed in the same off shoulder tunic and colorful skirt. She had removed her laced boots and placed it by the bedding.

“I won’t need it where I am going. Be good.” Esmeralda looked to the discarded boots.

On the yard, the Archdeacon saw the vehicle approaching the Dome. He knew it was the Elite to collect his bride. He was surprised to see the seven other vehicles that were trailing at the rear..

“I can see the fool bringing the allies of his.” The Archdeacon motioned to the Captain.

“Captain Phoebus, I think the enforcers of ours are under armed here. I will suggest that they be issued the rifles and with live ammo.” The Archdeacon told the Captain. “We must not be seen as weaker to the Chief.”

The aide to the Captain took off to get the rifles.

It was all arranged but the event was not as per arranged.

“Enforcers, we are going to the Dome. I have a suspect to take into custody.” Chief Raoul called out to the aides. “I want the full complement to be there.”

“May I know who are we to arrest?”

“Rival Luiz.” The name mentioned by the Chief was filtered to the informants in the Enforcers and the Truands were told.

“Get the others. We are fetching our man back.” The leader of the Truands called on his men. “We never leave anyone behind even though he had escaped our punishment.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...