Thursday, April 29, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 22

 22.

 

Merlin waited by the lake for the arrival of the lady who despite her mystical powers, have still the queer habit to make a Man waits like a fool.

“Sorry, I am late, Merlin.” Vivianne appeared on the surface of the lake water.

“I am used to it,” Merlin replied casually but the lady took offense to his words.

“I have a set of ladies to take care of the multitude of dimensions to ensure that none gets breach, and a realm filled with artifacts which any could annihilate a town or the whole land…” Vivianne was cut off.

“I did not mean it that manner.” Merlin sighed. He should have kept his mouth close.

“No, you did not. You …” Vivianne turned her sight to the castle the loomed on the cliff. “I am sure you have your bad days.”

“I do…” Merlin bit his lips. “I called you to tell you that we have not found Morgause or what was left of her.”

“And she is not found by the forest and its creatures. That means she did not get …. to be terminated.”

“And that means we need to be extra careful then,” Merlin added in. “I have seen the dead come back alive.”

Morgause was found at the rocks by others but it was not a moment too late. She has whisked away from the rocks near death to a remote location.

“Where am I?” Morgause woke up from her sleep. She found herself covered in herbs and bandaged with the leaves. She was lying on the soft bedding of leaves, under the canopies of the growing leaves. She recognized the place.

“The forest of Broceliande….”

 “Well perceived, my Lady.” Morgause heard the voice and turned. It was an Elf.

“The name is Ronin of Elfin. I had brought you here under the veil of magic. In this part of the forest, we ruled over it.” The Elf replied.

“Who?” Morgause struggled to ask.

“Ronin of Elfin. I am part of the Dark Elves. We serve no one but ourselves. It was me who led Merlin the Druid to Excalibur. Rest well for now. You need to rest and recuperate then could you battle the ladies.”

Morgause slipped into restful sleep then.

It was not for Jaseth who stood outside the monastery still recovering from his ordeal with the demonic forces. He had worn only his tunic without his sword and the halberd was still too heavy to wield.

“Have some hot soup. Sire.” The monk brought the bowl to him.

“How is the Master?” Jaseth asked of the old master who saved him and then was to succumb to the invasion of the demonic spells.

“He is still unwell. When he exorcised you, he had the help of another like you but he did not cleanse himself well. He is with some dark spells inside him.”

“Who….. Where is the other knight? Does he have a name?”

“No, he gave us not his name as we don’t have yours. He left soon after he helped in the ritual. He was the anchor to hold your soul here, or you would have been taken by the demons.”

“Did he tell where he was going?” Jaseth wanted to thank his savior.

“He just left as he arrived that evening. He said nothing but eat our food and drinks, but we refused his coins. We do not need it. We have what we need in our garden and from the forest.”

“Did you see a lady which was with me?”

“We saw no one with you. You rode in alone.” The monk told Jaseth. The latter accepted the bowl and then looked to the far horizon.

“I will ride tomorrow. I need to go back.”

“Where to, Sir?” The monk asked.

“To where my heart may lead,” Jaseth replied. “And demons to be slain.”

“Best you eat before you go, Sire.” The monk told him. Jaseth nodded and took more of the broth. In his mind was one thought?

“My love, where are you?”

Where Morgan Le Fay was not to be disclosed but she was fuming with rage. She felt the dying throes of her sister before it all disappeared. She had lost contact with Morgause. Morgan had searched neither dimension where the lost souls were left to wander but she was not there. It was as if she had …. Disappeared.

Morgan felt the icy cold feeling inside her. Was it possible that the true evil witches are to disappear into the dark void? She held her face with her hands and leaned onto her knees.

“Are you well, Mama?” It was Mordred who had asked. Morgan looked to her child. Born from the union of two souls and then growing up hidden from the others.

“I am fine, Mordred. I may have eaten too much.”

 “May I then hold you so ease your pain?” Mordred then having reached his early teens. Morgan held out her arms towards the one other man that she held affection. The teen embraced his mother and sang lullabies to her that he learned from the nymphs. Morgan smiled at her son’s loving warmth.

Morgan drifted to the father of the child. Mordred was never mentioned of his father nor had he asked. She decided to ask Mordred then.

“I have not concerned myself of that. With my friends here, we hardly knew our parents.” It was true there, they were outcasts of their own, and chosen to live there without any link to their bloodlines. The nymphs, the elves, the fairies, and even the goblins to the ogres, the leprechauns, the witches, and the others. It was their price to come there. Even the dark ream only required the oath of loyalty and the mark of the dark.

“You do know that I knew him.”

“Leave him out of my life. He was merely the tool to make me. I am myself. Mordred of Le Fay. I will serve only you, Mother.”

That was the oath of Elaine to her Lord as she held no Mother to call on. Neither was Lancelot, so it was only their lives. She had learned to accept her new role, and at times, it was exciting with surges of pleasure but the sight of being addressed as ‘My Lady’ in the formal role of her being with the formal Lord by her side.

“You hold many scars, my Lord.” Elaine still on the bedding rubbing her body on the covers. It was the after the feeling of the act when one still looked for the same warmth. Lancelot was at the washbasin and then threw on the robe to cover his body. He was not embarrassed by them eared with his bloodletting victories but he did not like to show the new marks on his back.

“Was it painful?” Elaine asked him.

 Lancelot refused to reply and stepped away to get dressed.

“I could take it. Do me instead.”

“Don’t ever offer what you cannot offer.” Lancelot turned to look at Elaine. “Now get dressed. It’s time to eat.”

Kay rolled the tabletop into the all at Camelot. He saw Arthur there waiting with eager anticipation.

“Clear those useless tables.” Kay turned to Belvedere.

“Do you want to do the honor?”

“I will.” Belvedere wields the huge mallet to smash the two long tables to create the needed space.

“You took your time. I have already downed five goblets and you are still at it.” Kay roared. He then looked at the servants. “Clear that mess. We have a table to bring in.”

It took six able-bodied men to carry the table stand and two huge knights to place the top over it.

“There it’s done.” Kay roared when he released his grip on the top. H smiled at Belvedere across the top.

“We could arm wrestle but we need to lay on it,” Kay told Belvedere.

“And leave your sweats on it? I doubt I want to sit there anymore.” Belvedere replied and both men laughed. Arthur laughed even louder at the sight of the round table that he had requested. He thought no one could craft it but Kay did it. The top was cut from a whole trunk across.

“How many will its seat?”

“Thirteen as you requested but we could squeeze seven more if need be,” Kay replied.

“Thirteen it shall be,” Arthur said. It was then Merlin approached the table.

“Thirteen, my King? That numeric has been infused with special meanings to different people and believers in it. It’s the sign of Death in the cards used by soothsayers, the significance to the occult…”

“Druid, I want thirteen to defy all these believers. I want thirteen as it will act at the balancing scale on the twelve, yet it will not decide any outcome so the odd number will give the needed weight when needed when there be a hang on decision numbers.”

“And I thought all was equal in ranking…” The druid said.

“It’s and the last number will decide on the rule of indecision on the table.” Arthur defended the number again. “I may stand with one side but I hold not the rank like a King, but it’s the consensus of all that was seated there.”

“If I may ….”

“The seating is fixed, and there will no discussion on it.” Arthur made his decision.

“Arthur,” Merlin pushed the issue of his. “It’s enchanted. I can have runes inscribed on it. It will offer protection on the knights.”

“No, do not desecrate it. I liked it virgin.” Arthur said. “Get the seats done. You may inscribe the names there. All who sit there shall be equal with the others and none may lord over them.”

That was the day Arthur has his round table to seat the trusted knights. Thirteen will seat on there, while the others shall hold their vigil on the side. Such was the knighthood meant to Arthur then.

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...