Tuesday, March 31, 2020

1914 Chapter 17 Finale


17. Christmas in the trenches.


Erich Kroner, Oberst

The new order soon after Christmas.

The 1st Guard was to be disbanded and some of us will report to the Eastern Front. The others will be absorbed into the other Divisions there at the Western Front and continued the battle. For those of us going to the east, we were to reinforce the 8th Army there in the battle against the Russians. I was one of the unlucky ones to be posted east. I dreaded that posting for I knew from the archives, war with the Russians were never pleasant and the weather than at the beginning of the year was hard winter.

I send the order to the officers on the disbandment.



Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

It was a shock that we were moving east but I knew my role as the soldier was to fight where I was sent. The euphoria of the festivities was over and we were to face a new enemy. I gathered my men and told the next task. It was met with sighs and mutterings.

“I signed to fight the French.” I looked at the veteran.

“Why much I go? I want to stay.” I heard the moaning and mutterings and then told then to pack up.

“We will fight wherever we are needed.”

“Tell that to Napoleon. He regretted invading the Russians.” Trust Kaiser to bring up the historical facts. He was one of them selected to go east. “He got bumped off more than he could take.”

“Napoleon is French. We are Germans.” I heard the Sergeant spoke. “Maybe you could sneak in and change the roster for yourself.”

Everyone laughed at that even myself. If that was possible then only Kaiser could do it.

“What don’t you return to Berlin and be the real Kaiser?” The veteran who spoke that then stood up and saluted Dietrich as if he was the Kaiser.




Dieter Luther, Gefreiter/Sergeant

The idea of being a soldier then dampened with the last few months of conflict. I did not like to move on without my men but they were going to the east. For me then, it was the western trenches.

I looked at Peter. He was a good cousin and above all, an officer. I made the rank and showed the Army how we had shaped up. I wondered how he will do in the east. I was told that those going east will have a week off in Berlin before they moved on. It was good for them in terms of their morale. I also knew a few who said that they will desert then but it was not of my concern.

Mine then was another member of the family was in the Army.

Ernest Luther, the rear gunner on the airplane. He had turned eighteen and decided to join despite the objection by Uncle Pieter Luther. I was given the letter that he was coming to the Western Front but where I was unsure.

I have not told Peter about this. It does not matter for Peter was not close to Uncle Luther. He need not know for it will affect his concern for the two of us.

“Au revoir, men.” I borrowed from the French and saluted the men leaving for the east.

“Auf Wiedersehen, Sergeant.” They replied in German towards me.



Abel Langer

I got my transfer order. I was going east. I felt relieved then. It may give me new pastures and outlook to my role in the Army, I joined the others in the farewell feast.

“Like here, it stretched from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea. It involved most of Eastern Europe.” I listened to another doctor who had some reading on it. “The Russians invaded eastern Prussia in the northwestern but we pushed them back. That did not stop the Russians. They came in from the south in Galicia. They defeated the Austro-Hungarian forces while we went for Warsaw but failed.”

“I was told that this year, we will retake Galicia.”

So it was another offensive in the war and not be entrenched in the dugouts. I was not against the entrenchment but it was delaying the war and more to it, we were losing soldiers from the snipers and the random bombings. I felt that war should be penetrative and getting it done. Like what we do as Surgeons. We do not hesitate to operate and remove.

“Abel, all the best to you in the Eastern Front.” I smiled at the other who wished me luck. I was keen to go and leave all of it there behind.

Including Stella.




Facts Listing

1914 – 1917

On the Eastern Front, it was estimated to reach over fifteen million with the Germans side at nearly six million. The losses on the Western Front was lower at below four million casualties. The German lost about two million.

In total the war caused a loss of nearly twenty million lives.



1940 -1945

The total loss at the Western Front was about five million in the militaries but the civilian’s death was about one point six million.

The total loss in the Eastern Front was over fifteen million with the civilian casualties at about twenty-four million.







No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...