Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Deep Heat II Chapter 15


15.

Later I found myself in a makeshift poncho cover with the camouflage over it. I was led there by Derrick and meet another at the camp. It was a lady officer and darned good looking with the long legs.

“Hi, I am Sergeant Danielle Harper, ex-SAS and British Military Intelligence.” The redhead in the tight uniform held out her right hand towards me. She had removed her camouflage outfit which looked heavy with the netting of leaves and strips of cloths.

“DCI …” Red Head had me read from the folder given by Derrick. “Oh, he did. And it also said I am gay. Thank you, Records.”

We submitted our profile to Records and it was supposed to be confidential.

“That was our compilation from different sources. We may not have been your first lover but the last three were in our records.” Red Head told me.

“Tell me of Liz. From your reading, please.”

“Liz is not whom you met. She may be onto you by instruction. We know she works for the Cohen on the side. She handles their wounded and also their dead. She was playing three sides; she is still with Daniel but on rare occasions.” That hurts me badly. I thought Liz was my soul mate. I was puzzled though who send the uniforms on her.

“DCI…”

“Bernice please.” I corrected the other. “I am not an officer anymore. As of this week, I am a suspect.”

“I am here as a personal guard. Once this is over, maybe we can get together.”

“Ladies, we do a task to do.” Trust Derrick to crash into my dream. I decided to switch the matter.

“Who is in the house?’

“Chief Constable Carter and his aide. They are meeting which I believed you need to hear. We had the place bugged.” I was then given the chance to listen to the conversation recorded by remote equipment. It was some new leads to me. I knew then who was the real Chief Constable and the link to Robert Kellie.

And a new name; Matriarch Cohen.

“The A matriarch is a powerful person but she does not head the Hangmen. We know Daniel is a Hangman but he is not the leader. That is our target.”

“We shall go into the house now.” I wanted to jump into action but Derrick told me to hold it off.

“The house is empty now. Chief Constable has taken leave with his guards. I think the Matriarch has left too. We think there are a series of tunnels connecting through the structures. There were rumours of it from the elderly statesmen and we have thermal readings to indicate it but unsubstantiated.”

“What am I do now?” I raised the question. “I have been pursued and considered a suspect but no lead I had was effective to solve my case. Even with that recording, it’s cannot be proven in the court of justice.”

“For you resolve this case, you need to find the folder.” Derrick told me. I told him of the folder sent to me by Sidney. And how it was taken off me.

“Whoever taken the folder from you knew of it reaching you. Who will know that other than the sender and the courier himself.” Derrick gave me a lead before he handed me his card. “Call if necessary.”

The the sender was Sidney but he may have given it to someone close to him to do it. And that person was either Shawn which was unlikely or Marvey. I decided to look up Marvey.

“Bernice Madden, you hold a nerve to come here. Do you know of the contract on you? It’s worth one million in value. You are a very valuable asset to Cohen. Or a major liability.”

“I was advised on my life value which was worth more than I can make in a lifetime.” I replied. We were in the Church backyard where Sidney used to tend to the flowers and whatever that was growing there. Marvey had the place guarded at the front and rear with more in their cars outside.

“Give me one good reason I ought not to shoot you.” Marvey looked at me. She was in her usual leathers. “A number of brother and sister wants you dead.”

“I did not bring the Armed Responses to the Church.” I defended my side.

“But you did for it was your action that got us raided and shot like dogs.” Marvey replied. “And we did not shoot the officer but who will believe us, gang members. In our own turf too.”

“Then work with me. I was investigating the death of the Assistant Chief Constable and then everything went chaotic. I got my friend who died after protecting me.”

“I am sorry but the Madden family don’t run this gang. I do now. And you are a liability.”

“Wait! Let me go and I will leave all this to you.” I pleaded. “Please, for Sidney’s sake. All I ask for is one favour before I leave. I need the folder kept by Sidney.”

“I don’t know of any folder but I will give you a day’s time.” I thanked Marvey. I took off and hid in a motel. I was out of ammo on the Glock and the shotgun was useless. I have only the Walther PPK; the Bond gun with a seven bullet clip and a spare clip.

I thought hard on Sidney. His old contacts and ex-lovers. Those are the few that he will entrust with his personal items. I don’t even count as any of them.

A the name came up.

Cohen, Adam and Associates. Not the accounting firm but the lawyers.

Once Sidney told me that he believed in holding up at the enemy’s camp.

“It’s safer.”

I traced Sidney’s lawyer through Marvey that it was Maud and after her death, it was moved to a Janet Foley. Soon, I found Janet Foley. She died last week in an accident at Dover. Janet has a sister living nearby.

“Hi, I am from the Police. Can I speak to you on Janet, please? I did flash my ID but called myself CI Bromley. The sister who was kind to offer me tea and then showed me Janet’s room. It was searched according to the sister.

“The Police came last week. I did ask them why they are checking her personal belongings. The accident was a random act. They insisted and showed me the warrant.”

I saw the warrant was signed by the judge named Fabian Paul Orwell.

I asked if Janet maintained any external place where she keeps her stuff.

“Janet kept some stuff in my mum’s case. It’s in the garage.” Thank goodness for the ones who could afford a house with a garage. I searched there is a huge case. I found the folder. It looked like the original one maintained by Sidney and then with Shawn’s notes.

I have my arsenal then.

 I will start with the pawns which are the rogue officers.

Then the rook and the knight, the Hangmen Group.

Finally, I will settle on the bishop, Daniel Cohen.

And I will find from Daniel the ultimate Queen and the ruling King. I believe that to be the Matriarch which may be both King and Queen.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...