Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Deep Heat II Chapter 14


14.

Daniel Cohen lived in the countryside in the family home. It’s a huge estate, with the sixteen room main mansion and the five-room servant quarters and the five cars garage. That was the main mansion. There were two more mansions with half the rooms on the right and left side of that. I needed intel on that estate and got Grant to do it. He was his usually reluctant behavior but I got the intel.

Besides Daniel and his six household staff, he had ten guards. The other two mansions were empty unless there were guests. At that moment there were none in them according to the Intelligence. I had my disbelief on Intelligence at times. I was right. I can see two cars at the smaller mansion on the right. It was my vantage view from the hill with the powerful binoculars courtesy of Madge. I was grateful for signing on the Special Training course in jungle warfare. It was Hell the training but it taught me how to climb trees and shoot better.

“Tabitha, how is Ian?” I called Tabitha.

“Fuck your niceties. What do you want?” It was Tabitha on her moody days. Soon, I was to find out that Ian was moved back to ICU for observation. He caught a virus in the wards.

“I don’t what biting your arse but I need the following numbers checked.” Tabitha was still helpful but it was distressing to know the plates.

At the smaller mansion on the right, Chief Constable Carter stood at the high window looking out to the open grounds with the trees at the distance, and the hill behind it. He was once in the Highlands Regiment before he left to be with the Metropolitan. Like Kellie, Carter was given the fast promotion track.

“Carter, your concern is a concern to us.” The Chief Constable heard the remark made behind his back but he continued his stare into the hills. “I do wish you will sit down. This home is very much your own.”

“I am not a Cohen, mother. I am your bastard from a different father.” Carter Marten replied. “I came here to your request.”

“As you would as my son. I know why you avoided the others. And also Daniel.” Matriarch Patricia Cohen looked at her other son from her earlier involvement with a man named Marten. She was to birth him but he was kept out of the Cohen family. Patricia’s own children with the heir of the Cohen; Burke Cohen, Jr have refused to bring the bastard son into their family circle although the dead family head had endorsed his rise in the ranks.

“Mother, the Selby case with Sidney Madden has not been settled. And now Robert got killed. I had placed DCI Bernice to investigate hoping that she will find nothing so that she can be away from the previous case but the well-planned suicide had now rippled with the Cohen family taking a direct interest at her.”

“Your DCI had my youngest in casts. She jumped them into a biker’s race.” Matriarch Cohen snapped back. “This has nothing to do with her investigating Robert.”

“It was not but the Cohen name bounced off towards her. She was then …”

“Waylaid by us? Yes, that was how we handle anyone injuring our own.” Matriarch Cohen was upset. “The Patriarch was your …. their father’s biker club. He had …”

“And what did your son did? He got them as drug couriers and gun running. If it was not me or Robert, they would have been arrested.” Police Chief Carter turned to look at his mother. He then saw Daniel Cohen had joined in the two in the library. The later must have ridden there which was a short distance or walked by the hidden tunnels. The tunnels were built in the last war for them to move about safely. It was then used as storage for the drugs and guns.

“Pardon me, mother. I just arrived.” Daniel Cohen was the articulate one and bowed to the elderly mother “I did not know you were with the guest.”

“Do join us, Daniel.” But the other declined.

“I have no wish to be involved. I am needed elsewhere.” Daniel offered to leave but Carter stopped him.

“To do what? Murder another officer of mine? Was Robert necessary?” The Police Chief snapped at Daniel. “Don’t give me your Westminster answers. I have them enough on the telly.”

“I can assure you that the death of Robert Kellie was voted by the family. He was our asset but soon became a liability. He had to be removed. We are sorry if that affected you.” Daniel knew Carter was having an affair with the last wife; Colleen Smith Kellie. It was a fraternity oath that they can screw each other’s wives from their college days. That was carried from their fathers’ which the previous Patriarch of the Cohen was a member. It was how Carter came about.

“Like Hell it did. Colleen was going back to him. I was happier then but with Robert’s death, I became the shoulder to cry on again.” Carter replied.

“So it was. I hoped you had no children with her.” Daniel hit it below the belt.

“Did you order the hit on DCI Bernice?” Carter asked. “And on DI Ian?”

“Yes, I did. To protect the family honor for DCI and as for DI Ian, he was in the way. We have to tell the Police to back off. I need the folder that Sidney held on us.”

“What folder?” Carter asked.

“Don’t be coy with me, Carter. You and I knew of the folder Sidney has been gathering on the family. He has it hidden.” Daniel replied. “And I intend to get it back.”

“I do know Sidney has some files on us but I have not seen it. None of my officers have submitted that to me.” Carter added on. I do know DCI Bernice met the journalist.”

“Derek Langston was taken care of. He knew nothing and did not meet DCI Bernice. I believe you need to find is one named Derrick Langley. He is a snoop I was told but not by Metropolitan. He could be British Intelligence or Interpol.”

“I had him checked. He is missing as we speak.” Carter replied. “He went into hiding. He was seen with DCI Bernice which is also missing.”

“She survived the attack at the farm but the older lady Madge died. We had cleaned the area and buried them deep. They won’t be found.” Carter cringed at the cleaning that was done by the Cohen. They dumped them into the marsh or limestone quarry where the bodies will dissolve in the acid.

“Why Madge? She has my protection when we offered her to retire. She knew of us and agreed to shut up.”

“Well, I guessed she got spooked. She was with DCI Bernice for a few occasions. They are close.” Daniel then asked Carter. “Where is DCI Bernice?”

“I don’t know. She went missing and we have registered her as a suspect but no one turned her in.”

“If you do, I will take care of her. You may be the Chief Constable but I am the Hangman. There is a contract for her head out today. One million EURO so that it cannot be linked to us. Good day, mother.” Daniel left the library.

All these while. I was figuring how to get into the Mansion and find out why the Chief Constable was doing there. It was then I stumbled on a familiar face.

“Hello, Derrick. I have been looking for you.”

“If you are looking for a fuck, I am not keen. I prefer my ladies on the altogether mode than biased towards her own gender.”




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...