Monday, March 2, 2020

Deep Heat 11 Chapter 13

13.

Daniel Cohen was indeed a pleasant person to get info on. He was a public figure and his entire life was on the file. His life achievements to his failures were on the file. Anyway, the official ones but the Police have the hidden secrets. I got that from another informer.

Grant Leslie who left to become a farmer. It was his cover for Police Intelligence. I found out soon after I become DCI. It was by accident that I came across his name in random research. He was reluctant to do it.

“I can’t do it, DCI. You are off the force. You are a criminal.” Grant was an avid follower of the law. That was why they took him into Intelligence. I pleaded with him on the comradeship and even mentioned Ian.

“I hardly knew that chap.” Grant then hung up but he sent the information later.

Daniel Cohen was from the older families that had taken land on the isle. His ancestors came from across the channel; the Normandy to be exact and created a name for themselves from the Courbet for centuries to the Cohen. They had the riches of the land and wealth to influence the powerful and placed Daniel Cohen to the prominence listing. He has his scandals like the accident of a teen in the city which was cover-up with some influential people’s help. That was the serious one but there were various offenses that were not expected of the rich.

I recalled some notes on that in the folder that was taken from me. I decided to check on Daniel’s associates.
It was then I found out of one familiar name.

Doctor Elizabeth Tan.

“Fuck!” I called out. Another of my bitches was involved in my misgivings.

Liz was Daniel’s college mate and they were once a pair till he graduated. She went off to study medicine and they have been seen a few times. I wondered how my bitch can be involved.  I used the term ‘can’ from ‘was’ to give her some credibility. I went to look for Liz.

“Yes, I knew him. So what?” Typical of Liz to react in that manner of her’ when confronted. “It’s not like you don’t any friends I may not want to be associated with. Anyway, Daniel was a great help in some projects of mine.”

“I am merely asking for I need to know more on Daniel Cohen.” I was dressed in a hoodie and jogging pants to hide my identity. Liz had agreed to meet at the park outside the Medical Centre. It was the usual hangout for the staff to do their breaks there; near the center and have several food stalls to offer a quick snack. The Centre food was not the best of servings and given an opportunity they will snack on the hot dogs or sandwiches.

“You are a frigging criminal now. What did happen?” Liz had to ask.

“I got involved in some killings which I had no part. They blamed me for it.”

“Who? Daniel? He is above all that.” Liz protected the other.

“I am not saying it's him but someone may be related to him or known to him. I just need some intel on Daniel.” I replied.
“And because I knew Daniel before? Perhaps we fucked before I did you?” Liz was the fore in front of comments.

“Yes…I meant no.” I uttered back. “I just need to know how to get him.”

I knew Liz was a bi-sexual but of the year recently, she had gone off that to be straight with me. Liz got up and walked off. I was left alone like a fool there.

Or was not.

I did not go to them. They came to me.

I was on the scrambler bike when they got onto my tail. I saw them in the rear window. There were about twenty yards behind on the light traffic. The Ford Escape 2018 Model was rank among the best with the other SUV class with its features. It seats five persons comfortably so I knew my odds then. I took to the city limits with the best possible speed to avoid any confrontations with the Police. Once I reached the suburbs, I went into action. I rode up the street and then did a right turn into the lanes between the row of houses. I hit the other street and turned right. I made several zig-zags and saw the Ford running ahead of me on the main street. It was skipping the lanes and assumed I was trying to get ahead.

That was their mistake.

At the next lane, I stopped or a few seconds and then shot off to the next lane. I can think the driver of the Ford must have thought I sped off and covered several rows in which time I would have double back but I did not. I took on the street and zipped to the next adjacent street which was a curved one. I knew this for I was raised there. The curved street took me to a different area and there was a park with some trees and bushes. I took sanctuary there and the Ford sped by looking for me. They have lost my trail.

I thought so but I was wrong.

There was another one trailing me. It was a Mini Clubman designed to battle with my bike. I saw the two persons in the car, and they were waving at me the Uzi. The automatic gun was designed in the 1950s and held an impressive ammo clip of twenty-two rounds with a deadly range of two hundred meters. I shuddered when I saw the two in the car were wearing helmets. That could mean they are weekend or professional drivers. I assumed the later. I took off to the open areas. I knew an open working yard nearby with some landfills. It was the fun area for the dirt bikers.

I sped past the gates and into the dusty trails with mounds of sands and small stones piled on both sides. The Mini roared in like a speeding lion. I had slowed down to let it catch up and when the passenger leaned out with the Uzi. I took off onto the mound of stones and from there I turned left and rode along the ridge with the Uzi gunner hitting the stones near my wheels. I had my works out with me on the loose stones there. If I misjudged, I will go over down the slope. Either side I was bound to die. Soon, I reached the spot I wanted to approach. It was the slope down the other side to the small pools of water like geysers spots waiting for the random eruptions. It was the sick joke of some biker who have dug those pools and improvise pressure plates on the trail so when you go over, you may hit a geyser of water up. I waited there for the Mini to arrive.

The Mini took the bait and was caught in the random geyser of waters, spraying at it and throwing the driver off the grid. He was too busy maneuvering the waters geysers when I cut into their trail and rode parallel. I have my bag of weapons and the Glock worked just as good. I blasted the driver in the visor face and watched the Mini turned to its side. I stopped my bike and approached the passenger side which was on the top. I saw the passenger alighted from it and leveled the Uzi towards me. It was the last movie he made.

I checked the two of them and found something of interest.

They were members of the Armed Responses from London.

That made me annoyed.

I was going for the jugular then.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...