Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Deep Heat Part 16


16.

“Hello, Paul.” The elderly lady in the housecoat and apron. She greeted her husband, Judge Orwell. The tall and slim figure in the golfer attire stepped into the familiar house he had stayed for ten years before he called it quits but remained married five years ago. He removed his golfer cap to reveal his balding pate of hair.

“Karen, you know it’s my off day and I have a game in hand.” Judge Fabian cursed at his ex-wife who was his eight years old son. He came because she told him he has a visitor from the old school. And wanted to see the son.

“So where is this …” Judge Fabian looked at the person seated there on the family couch. “Do I know you?”

“DSI Bernice Madden, currently suspect in criminal cases. How are you? Who makes you signed the warrant for Janet Foley?”

“Who is Janet Foley? I signed many warrants.”

“Without asking. You are a good man to them.” I replied.

“The Hangman.” I laid it out loud. “Who are you? The Judge and Jury too.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” That’s when I drew my PPK. The public here was not used to real guns in their homes. We are as safe as if the Martian were to land on us.

“No guns. I will talk. It was CI McMahon. He requested it.” Judge Fabian voiced out.
“Was he the part of the Hangman?” I asked.

“Hangman? What Hangman? I knew not of them.”

“Funny you will say that.” I replied. “Karen did not agree to that. She told me of your involvement. You are a member. I have proof.” I had earlier checked with the Police Commissioner when I could not get Derrick. I got his number from the day we met at Cohen’s estate.

“If you can’t get. Call the Commissioner. He will know what to do”

“How long before you tell me anything more?” I had asked and was told intel was on a need to know basis. That was when I decided to visit the Judge.

“Judge, I got enough info on you to excite the Mail for the morning edition.” I was not bluffing.

“No. Not the Press. I will talk. The CI was one of the minions in the Group.”

“So, what are you? The …” I asked.

“Tell him. Paul. She had Michael hostage.” The wife told the Judge. I did have Paul’s in the room upstairs. He was secured and bound with the tapes. He was secured but not threatened. I lied to the mother.

“Don’t hurt Michael. I have nothing without them. If you are still a Police Officer, protect them. But do it right. Not all the Police are bad.”

“I am the good ones.” I replied.

“I will clear my name and will do the needed for your family.” The Judge sighed. “I am with cancer of the kidney and won’t last long. Please don’t harm them.”

I nodded. And it was not a lie if I am cleared of my name.

“I can Yes, I am in the Hangman Group. We all are. There are thirteen of them who are the knights. I am a Pawn level.” Judge Fabian spoke up. “They are like the knights of the Round Table. They control the country. They have the people in the right places including the Palace.”

“I read of that. I found the folder left by Sidney Madden. It was more than I read in the one that was taken from my unit. Do you …”

“So you found then another folder? We had you watched from the day you were assigned to Kellie’s case. When we saw the package sent over, we checked the courier company. We knew it was from Sidney and we could not intercept it. We took it from you. It was incomplete. Sidney was a very careful man. He had the duplicates stored but they were never complete. He was a chess player and loved to plan his moves.”

“He was a gardener.” I cut in.

“Among that. He likes to plant things. He once told me he has five folders out there. We got two with us. From the Cotton lady and yours. He said the real complete one was the Holy Grail of the folders.”

“I got the last one from Janet Foley.” I told the Judge. That made three folders. I did read it and the new materials were on Alice Selby. So the Judge was right.

“Janet was Sidney’s new appointee, and she has his trust in a short time. She was an avid follower of the law and refused to divulge information on Sidney. Or anyone else in her portfolio. We had her tailed, harassed and ultimately the vote to remove her. Her death was planned like an accident and the Police covered the report.”
“So, who holds the other two folders?” I asked.

“We don’t know. Only Sidney will know.”

“Tell me of the Hangman Group.” I asked.

“We have been for a long time even to some decades. We were stronger when the current Cohen displayed their strength with force to hold control over the city. The old man consolidated the gangs and crime lords with the powerful. We controlled the city and later the country. We were doing well until Sidney had to compete with the Selby. He was not happy when Selby was getting stronger. Selby was a part of the Cohen directly. Sidney would not have that and decided to betray us.”

“So you had him killed.” I cut in.

“Yes, we sanctioned his death like Janet. We had Shawn to replace him but the other worked on Alice instead. She saw him out and got him trapped in the car with you thinking she could end it all but instead she died with him. She was to snare him with you. We knew of him liking you.”

“Alice Cohen was giving up the Selby. He was sacrificing Henry Selby and then Nigel. She told us in the car. She wanted Shawn to kill me but he did not.” I told the Judge. “What is it with the ladies in your group?”

“Because we are in charge.” Karen shot her husband. I was surprised that she got a gun.

“It was in the drawer. You did not search.” Karen leveled the gun at me. “Paul was a weasel. He was a good husband and provider but he is a Pawn. I am part of the Knights that controlled him and gave him the influence to come up as Judge. He died not knowing we fake his cancer report. He is fucking healthy and will be could be his mistress for many more years.”

“Who are you, Karen? The real you? Was it Karen Keighley or Karen Cohen.” I looked at the lady. “I was told that you were adopted at birth and brought up as a Cohen. You were given the name of the Keighley by the Hangman Group to spread their influence. I read that in the report by Interpol. So was Alice Selby. So who are you among them? They are seven pawns in the group. We know Alice was the Rook. So what role is yours?”

“I am not one of the Pawns. There are …”

“Seven of you. I know. Tell me of the others with you. And Michael will be protected. We know you loved him. Not all of us in the Police are bad.”

“I will tell on my Group?” Karen defied me on my request. “The Hangman will have all of you dead. I am a knight of the Table. I am the new Rook.”

“Too bad, Rook. You are now under arrest.” I told her. Ian and Tabitha stepped into the living area holding the recording device. “The real Police is here to take you in.”

“Fuck you.” Karen glared at me. “We will not be taken down like that. Words will get out and I will be out by this evening.”

“I don’t think so.” I replied to her. “You will be handed to Interpol under the care of Derrick Langley. He is a Special Officer assigned to keep secure.”

“I hope he has good security because mine is here.” Karen's words startled me. I approached the window and saw Armed Responses there.

“Ian, did you call Armed Responses?”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...