Tuesday, March 10, 2020

1914 Chapter 13

13.  Dig in  

Abel Langer

They dumped the soldier on the operating table. We have not even cleaned it from the last operation, but who cares about protocol now. The battle then brought in soldiers with slash wounds. As usual, we were working without any concern for hygiene or contamination. The apron I wore had not been cleaned since the day before. Blood had caked on it but I was too busy trying to save as many lives as I can.
“We would worry about infections later after we do it here.” I had told the nurses.

“We have an easy one/” The orderlies have their own version of humor. They dumped the body on the surgical board without a concern. I looked down at the man lying there. He was a Unteroffizier and I had seen him around. He was young and then wounded on my table. The bullet hit his back then and went through the front shoulder. There was a lot bleeding but he would have survived. The orderlies could had stopped his bleeding instead of carting him to me then.

I reached for the scalpel when I heard the commotion outside. The Hauptmann came rushing in and looked at the soldier on the table.

"Herr Doctor, you must save him." The Hauptmann looked at me with his pleading expression. He was there the second time pleading at me/ I nodded back to him and he left the tent.

"Probably his relative or maybe younger brother." One of my nurses commented while another snide back that maybe the soldier is more than that.

"Fraulein, stop your mockery of this young man. Get back to your task. We have a life to save here." I told them off, while they started to move my tools to me. I then begin my surgery. It was then the bomb came close for I could feel the blast wave shook. It did not bring the tent down but the nurses were panicking. Some of the nurses were crouching down holding their ears for fear of being deaf. I would had preferred a direct hit as that would mean an end of sufferings.

"They are bombing us now!" One of the nurses shouted out.

"Get back to work," I shouted and got them back to work. It’s unusual for the bombing to come so close to us as we were marked as field hospital but sometimes it does happen. It was then, a soldier rushed in carrying his wounded friend, and asked me to assist.

"Herr Doctor, he is dying. The bomb got him in the chest. Please help." The soldier asked me to assist but I am with one on my table. Before I could have answered him, the Hauptmann barged in and confronted the soldier.

"Who are you to come in here? Take him out there and await his turn." The Hauptmann holler to the emotional soldier.

"Please, Hauptmann....he is my cousin and I need to take care of him." The soldier pleaded for his cousin life.

"So is that one there on the bed now. Take him out now, or I would shoot you." The Hauptmann ordered the soldier who walked out with his cousin still in his hand. The Hauptmann looked at me and I told him off.

"This is my tent and you would not come in here again. Do I make myself clear, Herr Hauptmann?"

The officer nodded and walked out. It took me five minutes to close the wound and sent the young soldier to an orderly to clean the wound. I walked out of the tent to looked for the soldier with his cousin but he cannot be found. I asked an orderly.

"That one died just now. His cousin taken him out to be buried."

Damned war has taken another life. I told another doctor to take my place while I go out for a smoke. I saw the bomb blast and it was no British or Belgian bomb, but our own. The cart carrying the explosives to the front must had blown while passing here. It took three lives in the blast with a dozen wounded.

Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

I saw the orderlies carrying Dieter out, and there was a runner looking for me. They wanted me back at the Messines Ridge. The British were shelling it and the Generals' want it to be retained at all cost. I took my leave immediately for the line and I bumped into the commander.

"Herr Oberst, I am going back to the Ridge." I reported to the commander.

"Hold on, Hauptmann. I come to see you on the Oberst-lieutenant. I heard you were last with him." The Oberst looked at me. He did not come alone but with another officer, another Oberst-lieutenant in rank.

"Oberst-lieutenant Hans Kruger from the General Staff would like a firsthand report on the heroic death of the Oberst-lieutenant. His father is close to the General."

I caught the wink in the Oberst's eye, and I saluted him. I told the new officer how Oberst-lieutenant stayed back to make sure the squad could make it out. He died a brave man, and fellow soldier. The new Oberst-lieutenant took note of my speech and then excused himself to report back.

"Thank you, Hauptmann. That would be all for now." Oberst Kroner saluted me back and then walked to see the wounded. He was acting like an officer then and I wondered why. It was rare for his rank to come to the front line.


Erich Kroner, Oberst

“Flank them and we did but soon we were driven back with them trying outflank us.” I cursed at the reports from the Front Line. I looked at the maps with the positions of the armies. I saw Antwerp.

That town was gone. It was ours and then taken by the French. Six battalions and we could not even hold a simple town from being retaken back.

Then came the request for me to endorse the Oberst-lieutenant’ commendation. The General cared then was about a cowardly officer who died on the battle.

“Would they do for me too? I cursed once more. “He is fucking dead, Kaiser.”

I was disgusted with them awarding commendations when they should be there to see the real happenings. Where was our plan to be in Paris? Apparently no one bothered about it. It was the race to the sea. Everyone trying to carve the continent with the outlook of a snare but we ended up more like the long line of trenches. If I had my plans to go in action, I would propose a direct thrust towards Paris and separated the British and French. When they realized the loss of Paris, and they will by then and will not be digging in at this god forsaken place.

“Oberst, your orders please.” I looked towards the Hauptmann, and smiled. The officer had remained silent soon after he reported to me. He had stood at ease facing the table with the maps.

“Hauptmann, what do you make of Ypres?”

“A good place to defend. The town is held by the ridges on three sides. They are high and would prevent any direct onslaught by the armored.” The Hauptmann was right. It was natural fortress by design. I looked at the Hauptmann and would make a good adjutant one day as he knows how to speak when needed. But right now, I need him to win this battle for me.

"Herr Oberst, there is a message for you form the General." The runner appearing next to me. I took the message and dismissed the runner. So the British were desperate to hold this line.

The British have secured the ridge east of Ypres.” I read the report to the Hauptmann. ” They are digging in like us.”

“So, do we attack?” The Hauptmann asked. I smiled at him.

“No, we will wait. Our reinforcements are coming in. We will let the British have a respite before we removed them …. For good. We have good intel the British are looking to take Menin.” That was confirmed intel from a captured British officer. We will strike when we are ready.

“Go to your men and be ready.” The Hauptmann will do fine. The 1st Calvary had retreated from the Ridge, so that makes the Hauptmann task a lot easier. The 3rd Division would do what we lost at Wytschaete; maybe we can have reclaimed that back.

It was the French I am concerned on; they held the west of Wytschaete to Messines, and they were too stubborn to be evicted. I needed to check on the defenses for I cannot afford another retreat. We would be a laughing stock of the Generals' if we do that.

"Watch where you are stepping?" The junior rank officer who stumbled into my path questioned me. I looked at the shorter man with the stash of moustache at the upper lips. He holds the rank of Gefreiter on his shoulder.

"I am sorry, Herr Oberst." The Gefreiter apologized to the senior officer. I shrugged off his apology and made my way back to the tent.

Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

"Dig in!" I shouted to the men while we dug the ground to create cover from the British fire in front of us. We were making advances but slower than expected. These enemy soldiers were well trained in the marksmanship and they were taking on toll of the men. More that, the reinforcement sent to us then was the Reserve Corps and they lack the proper training which we had.

I rushed from cover to cover to encourage to dig faster so that they can sink into the ground cavity and fight back. The men were tired and the enemies were not advancing but holding their ground. It looks like a long war.

I heard news of the battle at Polygon Wood, north of Menin Road. It was the woods that provided them cover but was also the deterrent to them from shooting as they could hardy make out friends and foes. In the battle, the two sides have resorted to hand to hand fighting. That meant using the bayonet to the kill. It was a bloody scene but that was the nature of the battle. We were on the Menin Road and made some headways.

“Bloody war, Hauptmann.” A soldier told me. “I been on this spot for some days. I was here yesterday and then forward and now back.”

I looked at the soldier and reprimanded him.

“If I hear you say that again, I will shoot you myself.” I needed the men to feel that we were winning. The Sixth Bavarian later came fresh from Berlin and was to be our reinforcement in this battle near Gheluvelt. It was then I met the Gefreiter who was also the runner for his company. He passed me the new orders and I acknowledged them. Then I saw the NCO was taking a breather from his numerous runs.

"Are you tired, Gefreiter?" I asked of the man with the stash of moustache at the upper lips.

"Sorry, Herr Hauptmann. I was merely taking a breather. I can go now." But I stopped the man from leaving. I offered him a drink of wine from our personal collection and some food, to replenish his hunger. I asked him of his name then.

"Hitler, Herr Hauptmann. Adolf Hitler, Sixth Bavarian."

"Have you seen much action?"

"No, Hauptmann. I am a runner and most times I am doing it at the back." He smiled at the remark he made. He actually lied as he has been running up here most times. Hitler was not afraid for he was seen to brave the bullets to delivered his message." Hitler then got up and asked to be excused. I let him go back to his tasks.

Later I was told that he saved an officer caught in a counter attack. Hitler braved the cross fire to drag the officer to safety. This was told to me by the other officers as they envy the junior ranking NCO can be in line for an Iron Cross by the King himself.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...