Saturday, May 31, 2014

Preys and Predators II; Chessmen ( Rated Mature readers only ) 1.34

White King

I was reading the Forensics Report; the name of my donor, Mitch Brennan. The part that intrigues me was his record was immaculate for the last five years. They didn’t bury his past but his present. I had seen such records before when I was posted to the Central Intelligence for half a year. They are covers for recruited field operatives. Mitch Brennan had a past which was colorful; he was a menace to the public, was a suspect for some murders, but never convicted.

He had a link to a Billy Dane.

“Mary, thank you for meeting on such a short notice.” I took the coffee offered to me by the Special Officer.

“It my job to cover for the Mayor when he’ called off for an urgent meeting.” Mary Ketch, the Special Officer sat across me in her three piece suit;, branded and expensive. She was a blonde but ain’t dumb the way she go pass my queries. I found myself looking at her, and trying to place her to someone I knew.

Then she dropped me the bomb.

“I heard you are in the city to investigate the murders.” She came on direct. “Any progress on it? The City folks are getting worried.”

“We are making some, but these murders are complicated~” I replied casually.

“We heard rumors that the Chessmen are involved.” Mary spoke out plainly.

“Chessmen? That’s unfounded rumor.” I replied. “The Chessmen were all caught or died in some operation sometime back.”

“What did the rumor says?” I asked back.

“That they harvest the organs to sell.”  



Dark Queen

I watched her leave. I gave a clue to the Chessmen operations. She would help me to get herself killed. Then I will do the last piece to eliminate her. Soon after she left, I made some calls to the associates. I need their help to trap her.

The portable rang. It was Mrs.Treacher.

“Hello, Mrs.Treacher.” I took the call. “Where have you been? I been trying to get you for over a day.”

“I am sorry, My Queen. I was away to remove Billie Diane. He was the traitor after all. I found him with a Mitch Brennan.”

“Mitch Brennan?” I asked back.

“He is a paid assassin. He was responsible for the death of the Chessmen.” Mrs.Treacher replied.

“When did you know this?” I asked.

“A long time. Mitch Brennan was my hired killer. I got the contract to remove the Chessmen including you.”

“I don’t understand.” I was baffled then.

“Don’t be, Mary Levine Ketch.” Mrs.Treacher replied. “You need to know two things. One, you killed one too many and that one of them was my daughter. Two, I knew you betrayed me. Now it’s payback time.”

“Fuck you!” I shouted into the portable.


“Run, Mary. Run.” Mrs.Treacher replied. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...