Saturday, May 3, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 1 Scene 1 Part 3.2

Desdemona left the two standing there without any glance. By then, Cassio had joined the two and asked of what was the issue. Othello told him. Cassio looked Iago and asked.

"Where were you tonight?" Cassio had the suspicion that Iago had planned all this.

"I was with some friends, at the bathhouse. I took one..." Iago replied but he was stopped by Cassio.

"One too many drinks which loosen your tongue." Cassio rebuked back. Iago stood up and reached for his hidden dagger, but Othello stood in between them.

"Let no men of mine fight among themselves." Othello looked to both men. "I have to seek the man who needed my explanation. Let us get changed and be on the streets lest a mob seek us out."

They chanced on the mob led by Brabatio, they met on the junction not far from the villa. Brabatio was with his servants and personal guards, numbering more than ten confronted the trio of legionaries. Brabatio struggling in his toga held up the gladius towards the Legatus.

"Hold the villans." Brabatio shouted to his group which had formed a cordon around the trio. Othello drew his parazonium and leveled it at the hostile group. His companion sided next to him had also drew their gladius.

"Come no closer or feel my wrath and my gladius. We are Legionnaires and feared no one except the Emperor." Iago threatened the mob. Then Iago spied the sight of Roderigo at the rear of the group and gave him an eye signal.

"I am Servius, and feared no dressed up baboons." Servius, the servant in his eagerness to impress the master rushed forth at Othello, but the experienced Legatus side stepped and hit the assailant with the hilt of his parazonium.

"Ha! You are mortal and you bleed." Another guard came at Iago who was not as merciful as Othello; Iago thrust the guard on the back when he deflect the thrust and pushed the guard forward to land in the thrust.

"On that, I can agreed. Yours would be the first." Iago called back.

"Hold your anger, Senator. I am not here to fight you nor would I be that easily defeated by your men." Othello gave them the caution on the situation

"Othello, I had known you. I had invited you to my house for meals. I had you spoken to m daughter." Brabatio spoke of the past liaison of their past. "Yet you took advantage of my hospitality. You took my daughter for your personal lust without my ...."

Brabatio could not find the words to describe the intervention on his daughter. He munched on his last word to describe the act that Othello had done.

"Lust? I did not lust your daughter like that of a whore. I loved her...." Othello replied in a pleading voice.

"Whore? You dare to insult my daughter of one." Brabatio interjected in. He was more annoyed that his daughter was associated to the lowly profession of loose women. They are like slaves but an affinity to sell themselves to be degraded for coins.

"No!" Othello shouted out. "I did not said she was a whore. She is my love."

"Your love? You do not love her. You had her enticed by ....your charms. The charms of the type that your kind practiced." Brabatio shouted back. On hearing of charms, Othello chose to defend himself. He had heard of rumors since young that he was a son of the wandering tribes of barbarians who played on magic and spells. These tribes roamed the plains and hills of the upper continent and frequent the camps of the other barbarians. He had asked his adopted father who had denied those rumors; stating that he was the product of a legionnaire who had fathered him with a local Gaul woman. But with his adoption, Othello was every flesh and soul a Roman citizen.

"I had no needs of charms to love your daughter. She loved me for who I am." Othello defended himself.

"Silence, you bastard of Thaddeus. I had known him to father more of yours during his campaign. I am just surprised that he brought you back here as his own. You should had been left on the battlefield to die like the others." Brabatio spoke out in spite. He was to continue but they were met by the Praetorian Guards of Emperor Commodus.

"Legatus Othello, you are needed in the Senate." The Prefect accompanying the Praetorian Guards told the Legatus.

"I would come along." Brabatio told the Prefect. "I am Senator Brabatio."

"I know who you are, Senator. If you want to come, you may but you are needed to wait outside until you are called on." Prefect of the Praetorian told the Senator.

"I would see the Emperor on your behavior." Senator Brabatio threaten the Prefect.


"You would see him at the Senate. He is the one seeking the Legatus."

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...