Saturday, May 17, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 1 Scene 1 Part 4.3

"He may be the bastard as you have mocked him, but before his damning namesake, he is still mine. Do you see him beneath the dark mask he wore, or do you see him for the bastard son of Thaddeus? Have you actually asked Thaddeus if he was the bastard, or maybe he was what he claimed; an orphan on the battlefield. Thaddeus had the kind heart to offer him love and shelter, or this man standing here before you may had been devoured by the wolves."

"My Emperor, I loved Othello. I heard of his life from the day he was born, left without protection on the battlefield, nurtured with love by one other was his parent's foe, but he was to faced more of his own. In the absence of the foster father, Othello was enslaved by his guardians loved ones. They cast him to the kitchen to work, to eat the leftover scraps, and slept with the same creatures he was consumed. He faced all that when he was young." Desdemona tears flowed down her cheeks.

"He suffered because his adopted father was away in campaigns. When the other had come back, Othello given the luxury of life as if all that had happened was a dream. A bad dream that he was to awaken from. He dared not tell, lest he be sent there forever. His adopted father died shortly then; leaving the child to his own plight. He suffered hard and worse, but he was determined. He was like his adopted father. He love Rome. He wanted to be the protector of Rome. He joined the Legion at an early age, and he served well. He would had given his life for Rome any day, but now he sought was my heart. We agreed to share ours. Is that a sin that even my father could not see?"

Desdemona looked to her father with her eyes teary. Othello held her by the arms. It was then Commodus spoke.

"So Othello, its obvious you had charmed this lady" Emperor Commodus told him.

"Yes, I did, my Emperor. Not with magic but with my love." Othello replied. "If love between us can be called a charm, then let it stand for all to be heard."

Emperor Commodus laughed at the statement. He looked to the Senator.

"He is obviously a charmer. I like him. But more to it, I want him." Emperor Commodus told the Senator. "Othello is needed to lead the campaign against those who reside at the coastline. They are moving towards Iberia and soon maybe unite with the Carthage to sailed over."

Senator Brabatio looked grimly at the Emperor. He know that the Emperor would pardon the Legatus if he would bring victory to Rome over those tribes.

"I am curious, Othello. I hardly knew you besides you are one of my capable Legatus. Tell me what you told the love of yours." Commodus asked the Legatus.

"Everything...." Othello replied.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...