Wednesday, July 3, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Four Scene Three Sub Act One

THE DOUBT

ACT FOUR

SCENE THREE

SUB ACT ONE

 

“I will tell ya here. The English pale ales display earthy, herbal English-variety hop character. Medium to high hop bitterness, flavour and aroma should be evident. The yeast strains used in these beers lend a fruitiness to their aromatics and flavour, referred to as esters.” The bartender at the counter explained to the Highlanders there.

“Whereas the Scotch ale, aye …… A tardy wee heavy, is a style of beer originating from up there in the Highlands; fermented with ale yeast. Generally low in bitterness with rich malt sweetness, the caramel-coloured beer often uses a pale malt base backed by darker malts. Though it can vary, many are comparable to English barley wine.”

“Argh …. Keep on the pour, Andrew. I bet your fart will smell the same.” The one seated at the right end of the counter hollered out.

“Keep your pansy on, Arthur.” The bartender called back. “Anyone else for the Pig’s Ears?” (Cockney slang for Beer.)

“I thinketh the two gentlemen here want their ‘gold watch’ (Cockney slang for Wine.)” The other end sounded out. “I can tell they are not these parts.”

“Collins, you are in as ‘Brahms and Liszt.” (Cockney slang for being drunk.) Another cut in.

It was too much to bear for Malcolm and MacDuff who had sneaked off to the local scene for a change.

“Let us find some private shady place where we can go and cry our hearts out.” Malcolm dragged the other to the corner where a table awaits them. They staggered over, and took their seats.

“Let us hold tight to our weapons, and defend our fallen country like honourable men.” MacDuff had one too many of the drinks was talking about the Highlands. “Each morning new widows howl and new orphans cry.”

“Aye.” Malcolm was not far from the state of being drunk then. “New sorrows fly up to heaven so that heaven itself echoes with the screams, and seems to feel the Highland’s pain.”

“I will avenge whatever I believe is wrong.” Malcolm belched then. “I will ……. I will believe whatever I know is true. And when the time is right, I will fix whatever I can.”

“Aye, spoken like the true son of the Highlands.” MacDuff helped himself to the goblet.

“What you have told me may in fact be true. This tyrant ……. The King there ……. whose mere name is so awful that saying it puts blisters on our tongues.” Malcolm spat the distaste from his mouth.

“I once thought to be honest. You and he were great friends. He has done nothing yet to harm you. I am inexperienced, but you could win MacBeth’s favour by betraying me and then offer me up to him like a sacrificial lamb to an angry god.” Malcolm was in his drunken state confessed his fear.

“I am not treacherous, Malcolm’s son of Duncan. I am and will always be to Duncan.” MacDuff spoke of his oath.

“But MacBeth is King. Even someone with a good and virtuous nature might give in to the command of this King.” Malcolm looked at the other. “Still, I beg your pardon. My fears do not change what you truly are. Angels are still bright even though Lucifer, the brightest angel, fell from heaven. Though everything evil tries to disguise itself as good, good must continue to look good as well.:

“Aye, my hopes are lost…... on that King.” MacDuff sighed.

“Perhaps you lost your hope in the same place I found my suspicions of you. Why did you leave behind your wife and child ……. the most precious things in your life that the strong bonds of love should motivate you to protect ……in that dangerous place, without even saying goodbye?” Malcolm asked. He saw the pained expression on MacDuff.

“I beg you, do not take my suspicion as an insult. I just must protect myself. You may truly be honest, no matter what I think.” Malcolm took on his words.

“Bleed, bleed, my poor country! Terrible tyrant, be comfortable in your position, because good people fear to confront you. Enjoy what you stole, because your title is safe!” MacDuff called out. He then turned towards Malcolm. “Goodbye, my prince. I would not be the villain that you think I am, even if I were offered all of MacBeth’s Kingdom and the wealth of the East as well. I would not be tempted.”

“MacDuff, do not be offended. It is not that I totally mistrust you. I agree that the Highland is sinKing under the King’s tyranny.” Malcolm was cautious with the other.

“The Highlands weeps, it bleeds, and each day a new injury is added to her wounds. I think, too, that many men would fight for me if I returned to claim the throne.” Malcom roared out. “England has promised to give me thousands of troops. But, for all this, when I have my foot on MacBeth’s head, or have his head on my sword, then my poor country will be in even worse shape than before. It will suffer more, and in more ways, under the King who succeeds MacBeth.”

“And who will be the next King?” MacDuff asked.

“I mean myself. I was the one Duncan’s had named. I know I have so many evil qualities that …… when they are exposed …… will make evil MacBeth seem pure as snow, and the poor Highlands will think of him as a sweet lamb in comparison to me and my infinite wickedness.”

“There is not a devil as cursed as MacBeth in all of Hell.” MacDuff cursed then.

“I admit he is violent, lecherous, greedy, deceitful, hot-tempered, malicious, and guilty of every sin that has a name.” Malcolm added. “God, he does not need any repentance. He holds no need for it. But there is no end …… absolutely none …… to my sexual sinfulness.”

“Oh, God. He is declaring himself awful.” MacDuff cried out.

 


 


No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...