Thursday, July 18, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Five Scene Eight Sub Act One

 

THE DEATH OF THE TYRANT

ACT FIVE

SCENE EIGHT

SUB ACT ONE

 

“The castle has surrendered without a fight. MacBeth, your soldiers are fighting for our side. The Thanes fight bravely for us. The brothers of the Highlands are one against you. The victory is ours, and there is little left to do except your surrender.” MacDuff wanted MacBeth to surrender and be tried by the Thanes. He will ultimately be sentenced to death, and MacDuff will perform the final blow.

“Surrender, MacBeth.” MacDuff said.

“Why should I act like some ancient Roman fool and commit suicide by stabbing myself? If I see living enemies, I had rather wound them than be wounded myself.” MacBeth looked at MacDuff. “Have you forgotten your oath here, soldier? Or have the years of living with the English dulled your sabre?”

“Face me, you dog from Hell.” MacDuff was enraged. “The murderer of my child and lover of mine.”

“You are the only man I could have avoided. You were once one of my trusted friends.” MacBeth said. “We are both soldiers. We live by the sabre.”

“I did not want to kill you, but you... you betrayed my trust. You fled to Malcolm. He whom I distrust is my enemy. When you left for Malcolm, you became my enemy too.”

“You killed my child.” MacDuff accused the other.

“I did not. It was the one that was paid to do so. They killed your lover too.” MacBeth sighed. “I have no intention to kill them. I merely... Go away. My soul is already stained too much by the blood of your murdered family.”

“I have nothing to say to you then. My sabre will be my voice. You are too vicious for words to describe!” MacDuff said. “Fight like men, MacBeth.”

“You are wasting your effort. You might as well try to stab the air with your sabre rather than try to use it to make me bleed.” MacBeth told MacDuff.

“Use your sabre to fight someone who can be harmed. I lead a charmed life and cannot be defeated by anyone born from a woman.” MacBeth laughed. “The angels told me that.”

“You said that one was not born by a woman. Are you saying that if not, then that child is of the devil spawn?” MacDuff glared at the other. “I am……. You will despair. I was not born. I was gifted.”

“How can that be?” MacBeth was stunned.

“The angels may not have told you this. I can tell you that I was not born. I was cut out of my mother’s womb before she could deliver me naturally. My mother died from it, while I was the gift from her to my father.”

“No ……. I curse your tongue for telling me this, for now my courage has deserted me.” MacBeth stepped back further, “I can no longer believe those... Those Angels... No, they are the devil spawn to plot my downfall. They tricked me with their double meanings, raising my hopes only to destroy them.”

“I will not fight you.” MacBeth pleaded with MacDuff.

“Then surrender, coward, and live on as an amusement we all mock and stare at. As with a rare beast, we will put a picture of you on a sign, right above the words, “Here is the tyrant!”” MacDuff offered the last chance to the defeated king.

“Nay, I would not surrender and kiss the ground in front of young Malcolm’s feet or be taunted by commoners. I am the King.” MacBeth roared out. “Though Birnam Wood really did come to Dunsinane, and I am facing a man not born of a woman, I’ll fight to the end.”

“I will raise my shield in front of my body. Now come and fight, MacDuff, and damn the first of us who cries, "Stop! Enough!".” Macbeth taunts the other.

MacDuff charged at MacBeth with his sabre. He swung it high and slashed at the other on the left shoulder. MacBeth did not raise any defense and was cut to the heart.

“Why have you not deflected the slash?” MacDuff looked at the other.

“For whatever it was worth, I am a defeated soldier. Let me die in battle rather than be humiliated in capture.” MacBeth whispered. “Elleanor, I am to join you soon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...