Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene Five

 

Act One

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Five

Rome A Home Away

 

“Fulvia….” Mark folded the letter from his wife. He was in grief over the loss.

“You are a great person; now you are gone! And yet, that is what I wanted. In our line of work, we felt scornful for those we were removing. We thought we were getting rid of something, but later we wished we could get it back. A life taken cannot be revived again.”

“What is pleasurable in the moment becomes less pleasant as time goes on and eventually becomes downright painful. As for my love for Fulvia, I once valued her, but now she's gone. Oh, God, I want her back, even though I was the one who wanted her gone. I am the accused here.”

“Cleop, yes, she made me this. I must break away from this enchanting Queen. My lying around lazily in Egypt will cause ten thousand problems, even more than the ones I already know about.” Mark was depressed. He saw the entry of his guard, Enobarbus.

“Did you call me, sir?" Enobarbus saw that the boss was in tears. “What do you want, sir?

“I must leave here quickly... now. Back to Rome.” Mark told the other.

“Why, that would kill all our women.” Enobarbus wanted to buy time for the other boys. Their stay may have been brief, but relationships had fostered for some. “Some may want to say goodbye. If we leave without saying goodbye, that unkindness may be fatal to them. They will die if we leave.”

“Then I will leave alone.” Mark told the other.

“I was stating a joke there, Boss. If it is necessary, then let women die... harlots they all are. But it would be a shame to kill them for nothing—even if it is true that we should treat them as worthless if they get in the way of our goals.”

“Boss, what about the Queen? She may... die instantly upon our leaving. Or suspected that you would leave. I've seen her die... I meant rage, like twenty times, for a much smaller reason. I think death must have some kind of sexual power that acts on her, because she is so quick to die... I meant rage.”

“Cleop is too cunning for any man to outwit. She will live without me.” Mark said.

“No, sir... now, The Queen, well, she does display her passions towards you. Much deeper are her passions; they are not any cunning performances; they arise from the best part of pure love. She loved you.” Enobarbus looked at his boss. “She... you cannot deny her storms and floods as sighs and tears. Her sighs and tears are bigger storms and tempests than any man could describe. It would be impossible for her to fake them. If they come from her scheming, then she must be able to control the rain like Jove.”

“What’s past is prologue. that everything that has taken place in the past is a preparation for the opportunities to come. Tempest Act 2 Scene 1 Shakespeare.) but I held no opportunity to put right the past here.” Mark sobbed into his hands. “I wish I had never met her!”

“Boss, did I miss something here? What happened?” Enobarbus was confused. Could the boss have taken a blow to his head? Or worse, his balls. “Did she scorn you or kick you out of bed?”

“It is Fulvia. She is dead.” Mark cried out.

“Excuse me? My lady is dead.”

‘Dead. Died. Dead yes. She will not tell me from what, but she is dead.”

“The lady is dead.” Enobarbus then understood the grief. He had seen both his wives die; the second was gunned by him when she was caught in bed with the tailor. He shot them in the head. He regretted it later, for his daughter asked for her mother, but he told the young lady that she was going to heaven to be with her lover.

“Lover, Dad?” The young lady asked.

“Yeah, the cat died last week. So, she is now with the cat.” Whoever names the cat ‘lover’ ought to die with a gunshot. The cat, however, died crushed by the wheel when she slept beneath the vehicle. It was a sordid event, but the lovers are all gone.

“When grief …... When Maisy died, I gave thanks to God. When God decides to take a man's wife from him, a man takes comfort in realizing that there are tailors on earth who can make a new robe when the old one is worn out. If there were no other women but Fulvia, then you would really have suffered a great loss, and your situation would be terrible. As it is, you have consolation for your grief. In exchange for your old clothes, you get new ones, and a new tailor. They need to take your measurements again. So, it makes as much sense to cry over losing Fulvia as to cry when you cut an onion.” Enobarbus bit his tongue then. He felt that those words may not be in the best of presentation in Egypt.

And Fulvia was no seamstress. She could not hold the needle well to pierce the thread through. She asked him several times to do it. ‘I cannot find the hole as well as you could’.

“Yes, she is dead. She has started some business in Rome that makes it necessary for me to return.” Mark looked at his loyal guard.

“I can understand that, Boss. But the business you have started here makes it necessary for you to stay here, especially on Cleop' business, which depends entirely on your presence. She had just sent East Side a warning not to cross over the street.”

“No more of these jokes. Tell the boys what I intend to do. I will let the Queen know why we must leave so quickly and get her permission to go.” Mark composed himself then.

“For Fulvia's death is not the only thing on my mind. There are other messages that tell me Rome needs me. Sextus Pompey has challenged Caesar's authority and commands the empire around the west territories there. He thinks the Sicilians will be good bedfellows compared to us.”

“Our allies are swayed by the move. Their services are like the waves on the sea; they ripple and then dissipate on the wall. Genous Pompey the Great, they named him, and all the accolades associated with it go to Pompey's son, who has a great name, great power, and even greater vitality and force. Now he acts like the boss of the bosses, and if his abilities go unchecked, he will endanger the whole arrangement of the empire. Many troubles are beginning to form that, right now, only have the potential for disaster. Tell the boys that I wish to leave here quickly.”

“Yes, Boss” Enobarbus turned to leave.

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...