Friday, July 5, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Four Scene Three Sub Act Three

 

THE OATH OF LOYALTY

ACT FOUR

SCENE THREE

SUB ACT THREE

 

“Rise, MacDuff. I ……. command you.” Malcolm hesitated in his words. Duncan had told him many times; if you are to be King, you must be firm in your words, and command them if need be. The ones before you need to see the King’s ability to rule and lead.

MacDuff pushed himself up the seat while Malcolm sat there silently still studying him.

“I have been planning for the Highlands. I have spoken to other many nobles, and loyal Thanes. And other Kings, including Edward. The latter had been responding to the call.”

“In fact, before you got here, I was given the aid of a noble ……. old Siward, my apologies…... Lord Siward of Northumbria to you. He is an old soldier and with his command, ten thousand battle-ready soldiers including Man-Suits’ and their armoured vehicles, the Juggernauts; huge vehicles with heavy firepower. They are assembled here and will be setting out for our land.”

“Let me join you.” MacDuff said.

“You will. We will fight MacBeth together, and our chance of our success is as good as the reasons motivating us to act!”

“I ….” MacDuff uttered.

“Why are you having doubts?” Malcolm asked.

“It is hard to understand such a sudden change in your story. I have been on guard inside me for so long, serving under a tyrant, risking my life to come here, and having …….”

A Healer then came to their table. He was dressed as one and unmistakeably approached the prince.

“Well, we will speak more about this soon.” Malcolm assured MacDuff. He then faced the Healer.

“Do you seek me?” Malcolm asked.

“Yes, Prince Malcolm.  Have you seen King Edward?” The Healer asked.

“I am unsure. Why?” Malcolm asked.

“A wretched group of the sick wait for him to heal them. Their illness does not respond to the efforts of medicine, but when Edward touches them …… because of the sacred power given to him by heaven ……they are healed.”

“Thank you, Healer. I shall let the King knows if I sees him.”

The Healer exits.

“What disease does he mean? That the King could heal.”

“It is called the evil. Many a times during my stay in England, I have seen the good King Edward perform an incredible miracle. Only he can say how he prays to Heaven for these gifts. He cures people afflicted with this strange disease …… all swollen and ulcerous, pitiful to look at, and beyond the help of surgery …… by placing a gold coin around their necks and saying holy prayers over them. And it is said that he will pass on this blessed healing power to his royal descendants.”

“In addition to this strange power, he has the gift of prophecy, as well as various other abilities that mark him as a man full of God’s grace.” Malcolm smiled. “I held none of that.”

“Maybe King Edward is …...” MacDuff was a person of practical means.

“A Saint perhaps.” Malcolm cut in. “I see another of our kins have arrived.”


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...