Friday, July 5, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Four Scene Three Sub Act Four

THE PENALTY OF LOYALTY

ACT FOUR

SCENE THREE

SUB ACT FOUR

 

“I know that face. He is from our land.” MacDuff smiled.

“He is dressed like a Highlander but I don’t know him.” Malcolm said, while MacDuff invited the other over to their table.

“My always noble kinsman, welcome.” MacDuff took the hand extended. “My prince, please welcome Ross of Cambria.”

“I recognize him now. Dear God, may you quickly change the circumstances that keep us apart!” Malcolm smiled. “Is the Highland as it has been?

“My prince.” Ross bowed to the other. “Our poor land, indeed! It is almost too scared to even recognize itself. Our Highlands is no longer our motherland. Its surroundings are marked by graves, and the welcome we once gaily offered are people who smile and says they know nothing. There may be sighs, groans, and shrieks that splits the air, but no one pays attention.”

“It is better not to get involved, or thy mortal life ends there. Where violent sorrow is a common emotion. When the funeral bells ring, people no longer ask who died. They already knew that good men’s lives are shorter than the time it takes the flowers in their caps to wilt. They die before they even fall sick.”

“Oh, your report is too precise and too true!” MacDuff sighed.

“What is the latest bad news?” Malcolm asked.

“Every hour brings new bad news. Every minute gives birth to some new bad thing.” Ross replied.

“How is my wife?” MacDuff had to ask.

“Oh …… She is well.”

“And my child?” MacDuff asked,

“He is well too.”

“Speak real, Ross. The tyrant MacBeth has not come after them?” MacDuff was disbelieving. “Do not be coy with what you are saying. What has happened?”

“I am unsure. When I left them to leave for safety, they were well. I had arranged their safety before I left but no words were returned to me. When I was to here, more news that has weighed me down, I heard rumours that many good men are armed and moving to fight MacBeth.”

“The tyrant was in danger of a revolt.  I knew the rumours were true when I saw MacBeth’s army on the move; they were seen marching around. They were at war on the land. Now is the time when we need your help.” Ross looked at Malcolm. “Your presence at home would inspire more men …… and women …… to fight against MacBeth’s tyranny.”

“Women?” MacDuff was still the rationalist in the gender contribution.

“Let them be comforted ……… I ……… We are returning to home. Gracious King Edward has lent us noble Lord Siward and ten thousand soldiers. No soldier is more experienced or successful than Siward in all of the lands.” Malcolm assured Ross.

“I wish I could respond to this good news with good news of my own. But I do have news that should be howled out into the sky of a barren desert, where nobody could hear it.” Ross looked at MacDuff. “It just arrived to me before we meet.”

“What is the news about? Does it concern everyone, or is it a grief belonging to just one person?”

“No honest man could stop himself from sharing in the sorrow, but my news relates to you alone.” Ross sighed.

“If it is for me, do not keep it from me. Quickly, tell me.” MacDuff got up and held his arms towards Ross.

“Cousin, I hope your ears would not hate my tongue forever for saying these things, the saddest news they have ever heard.” Ross had tears in his eyes.

“Oh no! I can guess what you are going to say.” MacDuff sat himself back.

“Your castle was ambushed. Your wife and children were savagely slaughtered. If I described their murders, it would kill you too, and add your body to the pile.” Ross cried out. “I just got to know just now. Merciful heaven!”

“Come, man, do not hide your grief. Put your sorrow into words. A grief that hides in silence will whisper in your heart and break it.” Malcolm comforted the other. “I had my father done the same, and I had grief.”

“My child too?”

“Beryl, your son, and your servants …… everyone they could find.”

“Take comfort. Let us make a medicine out of revenge to ease your dreadful grief.” Malcolm tried to assure the grieving man.

“He does not have any children. My son? The others too? Oh, hawk from hell! All of them? What, all these children and their mother killed in one deadly swoop?”

“Fight it like a man.” Malcolm called up.

“I will do that. But I must also feel it like a man.” MacDuff said. “I cannot help remembering those things that were most precious to me.”

“Did heaven just watch my family die, and refuse to help them?” MacDuff looked to the top of him. “Sinful Macduff, they were killed because of you! As wicked as I am, they were slaughtered not because of their own flaws, but because of mine. I should had taken with me. May they rest in heaven now.”

“Let all this sharpen your sword. Let grief become anger. Do not hold back your heart. Let it rage.” Malcolm was fighting the rage in him.

“Oh, I could weep like a woman while bragging about taking revenge!” MacDuff tears flowed then. “But, gentle heavens, cut short any delay. Bring me face to face with the devil of my land, so that he’s within reach of my sword. If he escapes, may heaven forego him there. He deserved Hell as his place!”

“Now you sound like a man. Come, we will go see King Edward.” Malcolm rallied his own men. “Our army is ready, and we can leave once we get King Edward's permission. MacBeth is ripe for the taking, with the powers above are armed and on our side. Take heart, as much as you can. A new day will dawn.”

“Aye.” MacDuff uttered.

  

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...