Thursday, July 18, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Five Scene Eight Sub Act Two

 

KING MALCOLM

ACT FIVE

SCENE EIGHT

SUB ACT TWO

 

The Hall at Dunsinane was where the gathered people stood to address the new King of the Highlands. It was witnessed by Lord Siward, who represented the English.

“I wish all of our friends had survived to be here.” The new King of the Highlands, Malcolm, greeted the gathered

“Some people will be killed in every battle. And yet, from what I can see, our great victory did not cost us very much.” Lord Siward said to the King: “We were blessed, for many of the tyrant’s army had defected or abstained from battle today.”

“Macduff is missing, as is your noble son.” Malcolm looked to the gathered,

“My king, Young Siward, has paid the soldier’s price. He lived just long enough to be a man, and he had no sooner proved his manhood through courage in battle than he died. He had battled MacBeth in personal combat and perished there.” Ross of Cambria told the King.

“Then he is dead?” Lord Siward asked. “I could not find him, and no one knew of his presence.”

“Yes, Lord Siward. He was carried off the battlefield. If your grief were to equal his worth, then it would never end.” Ross said.

“Were his wounds on his front side?” Lord Siward asked. Ross nodded to the Lord.

“Well then, he is God’s soldier now! If I had as many sons as I have hairs on my head, I could not hope for any of them to die with more honour. And so, his time has come to die before mine.”

“He is worth more grief than that, and I’ll mourn for him.” Malcolm comforted the father.

“Young Siward is worth no more than that. They say he died well and did his duty. And so, may God be with him! Here comes better news.”

It was then that MacDuff appeared with MacBeth’s head.

“Hail, King Malcolm!” MacDuff bowed to the King. “Because that is what you are. Look, here is Macbeth’s cursed head. We are free of the tyrant. I had his head paraded to the people. They are glad to see the end of the tyrant.”

“I see that you are surrounded by the kingdom’s noblemen, and they are thinking what I’m saying. I ask them to cheer aloud with me:” MacDuff looked to the King. “Hail, King of the Highlands!"

“Hail, King of the Highlands!" The group roared out.

“Hail King Malcolm.” Ross muttered. His loyalty was to the new King.

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...