Monday, July 8, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Five Scene One Sub Act Two

 

GUILT BITES

ACT FIVE

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT TWO

 

Lady Elleanor leaned forth to wipe at the table.

“Yet there is still a spot here.” The lady said. “There is another. It must not be seen.”

“Listen!” The Healer whispered. “She is talking. I will write down what she says, so that I will remember it.”

The lady was seen wiping the table.

“Come out, damned spot! Out, I order you! One, two. Now, it is time to do it.”

“Hell is murky! Shame on you, my lord, shame!” Lady Elleanor was referring to the one that should share her concerns. “Damn you, you are a soldier, and yet you’re afraid?”

“Why should we fear anyone who might know what happened, when no one can match our power? But who would have thought the old man would have had so much blood in him?” Lady Elleanor was ranting away,

“Did you hear that?” The Healer was scribbling away but unsure of what he heard.

“The Thane of Fife had a wife. Where is she now? What, will my hands never be clean? No more of that, my lord, no more of that. You will ruin everything by acting in this startled way.” Lady Elleanor was shocked in learning of the death of the other lady. She asked MacBeth and he nodded.

“The child too?” Lady Elleanor had asked. The King nodded.

“I was not to control the situation. They acted as they thought best.” The King had replied. “It is war.”

“That was what you said of Banquo.” Lady Elleanor reminded the King.

“Fleance escaped as I was told.”

“If he had not, would you have him killed?” Lady Elleanor had ignored him for some days while she gave some thoughts to the dead lady and her son. It was not the first of the acts by the King but she was a woman to the land.

A woman still without the means to dictate but to be dictated.

A woman should always know her place.

But does the Queen needs to be?

“Oh no. Oh no!” The Healer mumbled. “I may had learned something I should not have.”

“Hush, Healer. She said something she should not have said. I am sure of that. Heaven knows what other secrets she has.” The maid sighed. “God protect me here.”

“Hush! The Queen speaks.” The Healer told the maid. The Queen was still at the table, wiping it the imaginary blood.

“My hands still smell of blood. All the perfumes of Paris will not sweeten the smell of my little hand.” Lady Ellenor cried.

“Oh, oh, oh!” The lady was moaning.

“What a sigh! Her heart is painfully weighed down.” The Healer said.

“I would not want a heart like hers in my chest even if I could be Queen.” The maid sighed.

“You will be fine.” The Healer assured the Maid with the sarcasm mode. “I think it will be.”

“Still your tongue, Ian Kinsey or it will your naughty times will be by your right hand.” The maid told the Healer by his name. “Then you can moan to God that all will be well, sir!”

“Be nice, Martha.” The Healer looked to the Queen. “This is beyond my skill level to cure this disease. Yet I have known people who walked in their sleep and died without sin.”

“Wash your hands. Put on your nightgown.” The Queen spoke. “Do not look so pale. I tell you again, Banquo is buried. He cannot come out of his grave.”

“Is it true?” The Healer uttered.

“To bed, to bed.” The Queen walked back towards her chamber. “There is a knocking at the gate. Come, come, come, come. Give me your hand. What has been done cannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed!”

The Queen exits the chamber. The Healer and maid stepped out.

“Evil rumours are circulating.” The Healer tried to make sense of the happenings. “Unnatural actions lead to unnatural troubles. Those with guilty consciences will confess their secrets to their pillows while they are asleep. I learned that in Psychology.”

“The Queen needs a holy priest, not a Healer.” The Healer sighed. “God forgive us all!”

The Healer then looked at the maid.

“Martha, look after her. Remove any thing she could use to hurt herself, and even keep watch over her. Now, good night.” The Healer addressed the maid by her name.

“I guess I would not have to diddle you to sleep then.” Martha mocked the Healer.

“I dinna think so. She has shocked my mind and amazed my eyes. I have thoughts about all this, but do not dare to say them out loud.” The Healer sighed.

“Good night, good Healer. Keep your thoughts warm and the hands warmer.” Martha smiled. “I know I would.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...