Friday, February 19, 2016

TTO Episode 5.4

5.4
“Doctor Shiong, I want you to have the program ready by tomorrow.” I heard the man in the uniform addressed father then in the lab. The lab was one of the many in the facility but that one was secluded and without access to the others except Father and the exceptional few. The lab had no opening except for the doorway which was the only access and exit. It accommodated with the array of consoles and equipment for his work. Most times the only sound was the whirring cooling fans in the machines or the occasional curses by the inventor. That day was the same with the cooling fans taking the background noise but the cursing was in the thoughts. Father had ignored the man and went on with his work. The uniformed man had stormed out of the lab leaving me alone with Father. I stepped up to the figure who I addressed as Father.
“Father, your meal is ready.” I stood there for the father figure to reply. He was bent over the desk dressed in the white overall smeared with lubricants and other dirty substances. He stood upright and then looked at me. Father had the extended looks on his frail body with the declining hairlines. He rubbed his hands on the overall before I could extend the napkin.
“Thank you, DN.” Doctor Shiong smiled. Father has the friendliest look. “I see that you have learned well from mother.”
Mother had died six months ago. She was stricken with illness that soon claimed her life. Father was sad since then and his work was demanding. Those in the uniformed did not know his pain.
“DN….I wondered if you would like a changeover.” I heard Father and looked at him.
“Was it something I done that displease you?” I asked. “The meal was bad? Or…”
“No, DN. The meal is fine. I am meant to say if I was gave you a makeover. I could re-program you. You are a Domestic Nurse model. You are the finest. What if I will to move you to a different design.” Father sighed. “I am aged and one day I may leave you. And I do not want to see you …”
“Please don’t cry, Father. I am fine with what I have.” I consoled Father.
“No, you are not fine. You will not get a similar …father like me. I will have you changed. You will be my subject on the prototype.”
I then became DN-501 or Daniel; the new designate for the battle droid with the unique self-adapting program. I retained my old programs as DN to serve him but there were more refined programs suited for my new role. My new design frame was more versatile and added to it was the extra power in the joints. Father hid me form the others while he conducted the tests on me. He gave me a change in the Laws of Robotics.
“Fourth Law of Robotic; if the human is deemed to be dangerous to others, then that human may be harmed if all other means of restraint have failed.” Initially, my system displayed a number of errors when the above law was applied but Father assisted in updating the programs to allow for what may be termed as ‘intuition’ in the human logic.
“Daniel, intuition is the fine line of decision making. It’s the appended to the Fourth Law for those moments when your logical program may act against your movements, the appended will override the constraint.”
“It re-defining your logical restraints.” Father explained. “It’s my gift to you for being my …..child.”
I was never ready or him. Father kept on changing me until that day when he stopped.
“I will not have my works given to another.” I heard Father shouting at the uniformed man. “It will always be mine.”
“Doctor Shiong, your program have been shelved. The Council have not seen any new developments. Your other peers have all handed in their works except yours. Your new construct is still under development as reported by you. The Council have given the tasks to the new team. All your works will be handed to them.” Father pleaded with them for his own designs and in the end, he got was only me; the previous DN model they assumed to be given away.
I followed Father into his retirement. It was not long when he introduced me to Edo Harashi.
“Daniel had unique skills that will be of assistance to you.” For the first time, I showcased my skills to someone new other than Father. It was after a severed test of martial bout and some damaged circuitries.
“Edo, Daniel is my only gift to you.” Father presented me to her. “He will protect you in your new task as the Enforcer. In your new role, you may have a partner of your own choosing. He can be with you day and night.”
Edo Harashi was to join the Enforcer. She accepted me then on the wishes of her mentor. I soon joined Edo Harashi into her personal life.
And her bed.

Father had foresight to make sure I was suited. I chose the model fittings. I was a Domestic Nurse; I know my way in the mode of serving.   

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...