Friday, February 5, 2016

TTO Episode 3.3

3.3         
The Traders’ Post was not all you will imagined. It was a yard for discarded parts but those were of valued for those who knew its true value. Hence the scrap yard held a small community of traders who ply their trades there. I have the Stingers cordoned the area while five squadron of troopers were deployed on the ground level. The only issue was the yard covered over five miles with spots of traders’ huts. Each spot held at least five huts each and the biggest have ten huts. It was estimated there were about two hundred of the inhabitants there. There was once an Enforcer’s post there but it was abandoned for years. The so called Traders’ Posts was in a plateau with only two entrances with the sides all too steep to climb.
“Darth Natria, we have the place surrounded.” I heard the trooper leader update. “We are holding back waiting for your order.”
That was a blatant lie for the trooper leader was fearful of the traders there. They were the mix kinds of almost every nasty character in the Federation of Planets. I did not reply in words but my left hand moved fast for the sickle there on the left side of my waist. The arm swung out in forward thrust and the sickle flew from my hand. It went out and then arc back towards the trooper leader. The sickle sliced at the trooper’s neck and killed him.
I disliked liars.
“You.” I motioned to the nearby trooper. I saw his rank and designation. “Squad Senior, I want you to take care. You are now Squad Leader. I want one squad each to hold the two accesses. The other three squads will assist me. Yours will be the one holding this access.”
We hit three spots and found no one there. Those thieving rats were converging somewhere and I will find them. The next spot was the biggest of the lot. According to the intelligence, it was like a small community. It was located next to a yard full of scraps that included discarded crafts and all types of vehicles. The biggest scraps were stacked to resemble a ‘U’ protection wall. In the protected walls, there were three traders setting shop. The others build their huts on the end of the ‘U’ and it literally closed the place up.
“I want three waves. First wave the scouts. Move in and access. Report in to the second wave as the sweeper. The second wave will take care of any resistance. The third wave the flankers to provide support.” I gave the troopers the strategy. I have a hundred and fifty troopers in the three squads of which a hundred was with me in the second wave. The twenty troopers rushed in and swept through the huts. The modus operandi was to drop flash grenades in the huts to clear the way. It will be the second wave will move in and ensure there was no resistance. Any stragglers will be handled by the third wave.
I wished it was that simple.
“We have resistance.” The trooper ducked behind the stripped down generator when the shots came from the hut. We have just started the canvassing of the place and that started off the fire fight. The other troopers returned fire at the hut. Two troopers ran forth from cover to cover while firing. When they were near the hut, they hit the built-in jet pack and soared to the roof. They were midway up when they got hit. They were flung back to the stack of scraps there, and from their sprawled posture they were dead then.
“Fire in the hut.” The trooper with the missile launcher aimed at the hut. The shot went into the hut and the explosion tore it apart.  
“Resistance cleared.” The troopers went ahead to the other huts. There were some firing but the troopers were using the covers well. The mode then was to shoot first and move on. I was in the flank and caught up when the troopers had shot the second hut with the missile. I reached out to stop them from further damage. I was not keen on having Edo Harashi dead before I reached her.
“Stop the killing. I want the target confirmed before we kill.” The troopers went back to the search and then shoot tasks. They did not hesitate given that the defenders were experienced fighters. I lost five more troopers before I came to the hut that I felt the force.
“Resistance is…” The trooper kicking the door did not know did not know his line was silly for he was soon dead..  He was shot with a heavy duty rifle. His body armour could not protect him then for he was flung out to the damaged engine. He died not from the shot but the metal bar that pierced his chest. I was next to him at the doorway and stepped aside when the second shot was released. I have my sickles in my hands and it was an intuitive throw. The sickle flew from the left hand inside and with my mind in focus I directed the sickle at the defenders there. At the end of the flight, the sickle had stuck at the defender’s face that shot the trooper. Next to him, three others had their throats cut by the sickle.
It was till then when I stepped in. Immediately, I felt the vibrations in the hut.
Edo Harashi was there not too long ago.
I went for the nearest defender who was still alive despite the deep cut at the throat. He was gurgling in his throat to stay alive. I had the trooper held the dying defender up and then probed his mind. He tried to fight me off but I was too strong for him. I read his mind and saw Edo Harashi.
The one I seek was there.
Edo Harashi was with the one named Kuzuka Mitoushi. They had sought shelter there.
“We need to get off planet.” Kuzuka Mitoushi had requested. The dying defender then was Mitchum Oline and he was a trader. He looked good in my mind; the beard with the tall frame but his midriff had expanded since his retirement from the military.
“Kuzuka-san, the Mitoushi House have been a good patron but the planet is under attack now. It’s every person to their own survival.” Mitchum had displayed his true self. Kuzuka was not giving up that easy and argued on the contributions to the other.
“Fuck you, Kusuka-san. Your House have been good. I will repeat that but we have no craft for you.” It was then I saw Kuzuka asked for the land vehicle. Mitchum offered him one and he left the hut. I probed for the land vehicles marking. I saw the vehicle and have it conveyed to the Ships for a planet wide search. For the dying who had served his purpose , I broke contact.
“Let him die.” I told the trooper. It was then I heard the explosion and then the screams. I rushed out in time to see two of the huts have exploded and the searching troopers were flung to the ground. I turned my back and then told the troopers.
“Retreat now. The one we seek is no more here.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...