Friday, February 12, 2016

TTO Episode 4.3

4.3
Commander Ian Hoffman stood on the Viewing Chamber on the Scimitar I while his pilots directed the ship towards the quadrant which the frigate reported of the fleeing ship. His fingers gripped the hand rail while he evaluated the next action to be taken. He was unlike his father; he got his better looks from his mother. He stood taller and with his square looks highlighted his masculinity in a sexy manner. His head was clean shaven of hair added to the image. The Commander was dressed in the hard pressed double breasted suit with the peaked cap with the commander ribbons. At his waist was the red sash with the Federation of Planets emblem. His footwear was the knee high leather dark boots.
“Commander, we have visuals of another craft. It’s…” The officer heard the update from the navigators.  “I am sorry, Commander. It’s a Hawken Predator.”
The Hawken Predators once the formidable foes of the space battle fights were removed to the archives. It was possible that the craft be preserved at least one or maybe two for this purpose.
“Despatch the Stingers.” Commander Ian called out.
“Negative, Commander. All Stingers launched to the planetary surface.” It was a stupid decision of the previous commander. He deserved his silent death in space. “Move into its path and armed the cannons. I want the two ships intercepted.”
Commander Ian smiled to himself. If he captured the target he may be made Vice Admiral. At his age that will be an achievement his dad will not expect.  He was twenty nine then and the Commander of Scimitar I.
“Commander, the transporter had moved away. The Frigate Shield IV is in pursuit.” The Commander lowered his head.  These nit wits for leaders all could not make sound decisions. He then switched on the communicator to give his new orders.
“Stay on course with the other ship. I want the HP.”
In the HP-109, I was bloody pissed with the Scimitar there. I deferred the countdown and then proceeded to arm the missiles. Kuzuka had slipped out to the top turret while Daniel manned the lower turret. We have like five seconds before we come to range with the Scimitar cannons.
I recalled my training then at the Academy when I stepped into the simulator. The unit was a round designed cubicle where you stepped in to be strapped in. Then the doorway behind you will be sealed and there will be darkness. When you thought that the darkness will prevail, the place will light up with the five consoles and screens. A set of double handle stick will slide up from beneath the seat. I grabbed the seat and felt the trigger on the tip of the handle. The right one fired the main cannons and the left one launched the missiles. I have limited energy packs and only six missiles. The trainers reckoned if we can’t complete the exercise with those limited packs, we bloody well die in disgrace.
“You have a time limit of one minute.” I hate that voice and worse the person having it. Bloody useless officers who think they know better than us. “And you wasted five seconds listening to me.”
The five screens lighted up and then I was in action. I pressed the pedal to move the seat so I could sight the enemy fighters. They used the Forei design for it was made redundant then and more to it, the Forei had ceased to exist before the Federation of Planets was formed. The Model III was a sad design but it served well for target practice. I have three on my screens. I started off the shooting and those darned Model III was evading it as if I was a frigging novice that I was then but I had my share of pursuing fugitives. My energy packs were down to the last pack.
“Edo-san, are you getting sloppy? If you are frig yourself. No one coming in there.” I hated the SOB for a trainer. I closed my eyes and saw myself in the forest. It was densely covered with the scrubs and tall trees. It was most times dark with the overreaching canopies of leaves. With the darkness, the walking parts were all barely visible despite the constant stepping by the hunters. I will don the thermal goggles to get past the limitations. Then there was no thermal option on the screens. It was then I remembered my grandfather’s words.
“The Harashi House holds a good saying; ‘one must make the decision within the space of seven breaths. It’s the time frame for one to break through to the winning side’. It was a wise advice and with my focus on it I saw the winning moves. Every time I focused on that, I will have a vision of the needed actions. That day I saw the needed moves to take down my enemies. I held the steer handle and move it as per my instinct. I took down the three fighters in one turn on the handle. It was always in me then and will always be.

“We will pursue the frigate. It’s a smaller ship with the transporter aiding us.” I was not talking to Kuzuka but giving him an order. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...