Friday, July 4, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.7

Meanwhile back to the tavern, after the third goblets, Cassio turned the subject towards Desdemona again.

"I don't understand these ladies." Cassio lament on the weaker sex. They were discussing the battle and then Casio wanted to talked on the women. "They are...."

"Unpredictable. I ought to know." Iago replied. "I am in union with one."

"I am no judge. My only woman in my life was my mother and blessed her soul, she left me not a clue to who she was most times." Cassio was with his father most times, learning the trade. And then he joined the Legion. The only other women he knew then were the ones that followed the camps or offered themselves at the occupied towns for the coins in his pouch. He may be a trader, but not of that trade.

"Of what that made me unpredictable?" That voice belonged to Emilia who was leading the Legatus love down the stairs. The ladies had rejoined them at the bar.

"Centurion Iago, I am asking you." But it was Desdemona who interjected towards the Praefectus.

"How fare my love in the battlefield? I need to know again. " Desdemona asked.

"Legatus Othello is fine. He had excelled himself once more. Our wounded and deaths numbered not more than three hundred, while we had captured as I was told over five hundred with others dead or escaped." Iago replied. He was to hug his wife when he saw Cassio bowed to them.

"Welcome to you,ladies." Cassio produced his dandy behavior as taught to him by his father when he meets the ladies. He did asked why, but the answer was more mysterious; they liked to be pampered on.

"Forgive me, my dear friend Iago. Its my first concern on them since we landed. I had not seen them with their retreat to the rooms, and now they are here again." Cassio told his friend while smiling at the ladies. "Its my courtesy to do so."

"Aye, your courtesy I have made many acquaintances of." Iago replied. He looked at his love and smiled. "If she had welcomed you with her lips as she was to me, then you would be soon under her."

A cynical remark which Emilia took within herself, as she had known her lover was one of jealousy among the other traits he held in him. Desdemona defended her lady friend known on the voyage but it was her only other companion then.

"Iago, you have no care in you." Desdemona spoke out in defence for Emilia who had remained silent by her side.

"Nay, I am with care. I loved the lady, but she does keep me stirred in some places. She also unstirred me in others." Iago continued on. "When I am silent, she cursed at me. When she is silent, she is laying her venom on me inside of her."

"You have no reason to talk like that of me. I am your love." Emilia felt hurt by the remark of her lover.

"Ah, the artisan speaks." Iago added on. "Are to tell me that with them, you paint a picture of the divine lady, while with me, you are an artisan with the penchant for slandering me. You speak of them in the lighter tone, but with me you implied that I was too loud for your ears. You portray the image of the lady to them, but beneath it all you are like the artisan who bares her bosom to the crowd. Yet you despoil my mood with your silent still body while I tried to aroused your senses. I had seen them all."

"Iago, you shamed me." Desdemona spoke in defence of her friend.

"A lady wake up to have fun, and to bed where they work." Iago added on. He pulled away his shoulder leaned on my Cassio. The later was trying to tell him to quit.

"Does that include me?" Desdemona taunt him seeing that he would insult his love, would he do to his Legatus love.

"I am going to decline, my Lady. You would not like my tone." Iago replied while he reached for his fouth drink.

"Desdemona, perhaps you want to check on Legatus? He may be on his way back." Cassio tried to change the subject but the lady was adamant to know the view of the Praefectus.

"Yes, I am concerned. He was to be back by now. But I want to know what do you think of me? Or are you too drunk to speak the truth." Desdemona bait the Praefectus.

"A lady of your....beauty have no concerned on who she may want to bait. She would used her charms that the other may be blinded by her bosom." Iago laughed out loud but Desdemona was not taken in that easily.

"I am a beauty to you, but what if I was not? Would I be that able..."

"An uglier one of you would still win, using not your only charm but the wit in your head." Iago spoke out. "You are good. I have misjudged you."

"What of one who is ugly and stupid?" Emilia cut in before Desdemona could reply.

"A lady who is both ugly and stupid? Preposterous! They are none that would be in that realm. Even the stupid would attract some men. Like myself." Iago looked to his love. He finished his drink and reached for another.

"You speak of ill of those who are devious with their mind or beauty, but what of the ones that are real to the love, and faithful to the vows?" Desdemona challenged him. She was trying to give herself a platform to stand on.

"One who would over stand by her man, dressed to pleased only herself, and walked with him in his arms, radiating her beauty to the others." Iago sighed. "She does not exist. I am the opposite, but there are none of her I had seen."

"If there was another of you, would that...." Desdemona wanted to check on him.

"If there were any, they are all bearing babies and remained behind doors to await their lovers."

"You are despicable, Iago." Desdemona looked to Emilia. "He is yours? I find him insufferable."

"Cassio, is that your Praefectus?" Desdemona asked the other. Cassio was taken aback and stood up. He laid his hand on Iago, pressing him to sit down while he try to cover for his friend. And fellow centurion.

"Pardon his manner. He had been a legionnaire for too long. Crude manners and words are his ways now." Cassio held his hand firmed on the other. "I would correct him for his manners ..."

"And never a finer man than you." Desdemona smiled at the Pilus. She was impressed at that man. She hardly knew him but during the voyage, he was all caring for her. She was truly taken in by his manners. He had held her hands very much at a distance when the times she had taken to walk alone on the deck. He was truly a gentleman by his conduct.

"Cassio, pray do not be my patron. I am my own man. Your fine manners and words ails my heart." Iago spoke out. "Do not beg for me? We are legionnaires; united and never give up on another."

Iago glared at the lady. He held out his right hand with the fingers displayed towards her as if to hold the other lady's one.

"Kissed your hands for an apologies? Unlikely. I would rather kiss the toes of Lucifer than yours." Iago continued on. He was to continue when they were distracted by the cheering of the legionnaires outside.

"Its Othello. The victor have arrived."




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...