Thursday, July 10, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.10

Once out on the street, he was greeted by the sight of his old friend.

"Roderigo, you made it." Iago called out to his friend, who swung a fist at the former but missed. Iago grabbed hold of the friend of his who was obviously still suffering the sea sickness.

"Iago, you tempted me to travel on this pock marked journey, slammed by the waves, tossed by the winds, and sick with everything I swallowed." Roderigo pushed his friend away before he threw up on the street. Iago saw his predicament and dragged the sick man to the other tavern on the end of the street. They were alone there, as Iago had sent the other drinkers off to the street, with his rank. After a goblet of sheep broth and quail eggs, Roderigo had nothing else to throw out. He was sobering then with a sweet wine.

""Be silent and listen to me." Iago told his sobering friend. "You travel the sea to be with her......"

"On your words, I did that. I am beginning to regret now. You can have the ship and its crew." Roderigo interjected. "I am leaving by land tomorrow."

"You would not not leave. Not when you are here now." Iago told him. "Your adversary is here. He is laying her right now. Are you that man to get her back? Or are you the coward who would cut his own throat in some dark alley?"

Roderigo looked up from his drink. His eyes were red shot but they were alert with rage.

"He charmed her as what her father had said." Iago continued on. "He charmed her with his sad tales. I have heard some of them." Of which Iago made up to annoy him. "I had shed my tears before for him. But you are not him."

"Yes, I am not him. Or why else would I sit here with you." Roderigo sank his sorrow into the goblet of wine.

"Be silent and hear me out. She fell in love for his tales. His words are the only that swayed her." Iago pulled the goblet away from his friend. "Do you think that the words would last? The man holds more than a dark mask, he is darker inside him. Even his looks would one repel her, and if not his body would."

"Give me back my wine. I shall not be tormented by you anymore." Roderigo reached for the goblet, but Iago taunt him on.

"Othello is ugly." Iago frowned up his expression on the left side of the face. "She is a beauty and needed the mirror of her to be complete. Othello is not and soon would be tire by either. He probably first, and then she would come seeking for the one to mirrored her. Some of her age, perhaps, virile and handsome. Some one who had coins and not in need to serve far and long on dusty journeys."

"Cassio is young like her, and he had coins. His family wealth overrides mine." Roderigo took to another goblet and drunk his fill. "Alas, I am doomed. She had more to choose than one for me to love."

"Funny, that you would say on that one. I was in suspect he may be one." Iago swung the subject to work out his evil plan forming in the mind. "He is handsome, good at the trades and gnawing at the toes for the promotion. He may looked naive but the ladies liked him. I seen him both as a good and bad boy."

"Yes!' Roderigo cleared his new goblet of wine. "I am in need of another."

"Yes!" Iago replied next to his friend. "She is in need of one other. She had done it, when I saw her last looking at him. Desdemona, you cannot deny yourself, yet so early into your union, you had strayed your heart."

"You lied, you bastard." Roderigo lashed at his friend, but the other stepped back but not before he taint his friend.

"Aye, the hands needed two to clapped. Cassio was not gentleman. I had known him for years. He looked like one on the outside but beneath the skin, lies a naughty man. He would lain any man's wife if he had the opportunity. I am the only he dared not defy. Or my Emilia would had been under him too."

"You spoke out of line, Iago. Desdemona is not what you had portrayed there. She is..." Roderigo defended the woman of his lust.

"A mortal of flesh and blood, with the raunchy feelings of a woman. I know more, my friend." Iago replied. "She is more than the lady you knew."

Iago smiled when he thought of his own love, the lovely Emilia; how he won her over.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...