Sunday, July 13, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.11

Prologue 9

"Dear Healer, tell me what ails my father. He had been sick, I was to know, but his sudden turn to worse baffles me truly." Iago asked the healer outside of the chamber. His father lies in there heaving with every breath, and coughed out blood in his mouth. Iago had came running on the advise of the healer's daughter who sighted him at the corner. He knew his father was ill, and near to death from the looks of it, but that was looming from him with the new season. Since the healer had come, his father was improving and looked to recover, but the turn of events in the last day, left him for worse.

"Your father was recovering but then he took to this at noon. I am still examining him and would need some time to do so." The healer excused himself while the devoted son ran to his father side for companionship. He knelt before his father's bedding and prayed to the Gods to heal his father. Meanwhile the healer rushed back to his own home, and sat by himself in the herbs room. He clasped his head on his hands, and moaned in pain.

"Tell me your pain, father." Emilia walked up to her father and slowly kneaded the muscles on his shoulders. He shook his head and refused to look up. The daughter held the father's arms and then he spoke.

"I did wrong today, Emilia." The older man replied. "I killed a man."

"But when and how?" Emilia looked to her father. He had been senile and of late clumsy.

"I prescribed the wrong herbs to the man. He had been poisoned by it." The healer admitted his mistake. "I only saw it when I visited him. I was too late."

"Who? Father, tell me." Emilia asked.

"The Legionnaire' father" The healer replied. Emilia hugged her father tightly to hold him. She shed tears for him. Then she composed herself.

"Can we still save him?" Emilia asked him. He nodded and then shook his head. Emilia knew then it would be too late. She left him there to walked to the rear of the house. She cried there alone in the garden letting the flowers knew of her pain. But her pain was to be more unbearable by two days later.

"I come to see the Healer." The Legionnaire asked of the healer at the doorway of her home.

"My father had retired from it. He only attend to a selective few now." Emilia told the legionnaire but the later was insistent on seeing the healer. 

"Tell him to see me or I would have the Vigeles here." The Vigeles were the law enforcers besides other works.

"I am here." The healer had appeared from inside the house. He led the Legionnaire inside and soon there was some loud voices. Emilia rushed in and saw her father seated there with the same horror looks in his face as that day when he told her of the mistake.

"You have not much of a choice." The Legionnaire told the older man. "A life for another."

"Promised that you would treat her well." The older man asked. The Legionnaire named Iago agreed. He was taking Emilia as his love for the life of of his departed father. She ran to him and looked at him.

"It was the only way, my child. I would not had survived the mines. Or even the journey." The old man told his daughter. "You would not be alone anymore."

Emilia was never alone. She was a Legionnaire's wife but she was his personal slave. When he wants her and when he kicks her. 




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...