Thursday, July 31, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.15

Act Two Scene 3 Part 1

The celebration was all merry making and joy, with the patrons all taking their fill of the food and drinks. The three wenches had lived to their reputation with the rounds of drink they drew onto the men. Glauco was smiling while watching his three wenches have their gala fun. The more fun they have, the more coins would be slipped into his purse. He had also invited three more other ladies who was also plying their trades there, with his share of one third of their takings. His other assistant was standing at the corner blowing the trumpet, much unheard by the drinking crowd, but for those who did, it was a nauseating impression of a musician would had been their conclusion.

"How much to stop him blowing?" One of the Centurions asked Glauco. The later raised his hand with the number of fingers to denote the coins.

"Let it be, for I am going deaf with his noise." The Centurion impart the coins and was dragged away by others to join in the drinks.

As the day draw to darkness, with many of them seen retreating to their homes, or laid on the seats which held their slumbering mood to the next dawn. Not all was intoxicated; they had other agendas.

"Cassio, are you sober?" Othello holding his love in the arms. The Pilus was seated next to the Governor aide, as expected of his nature. Cassio stood up when his Legatus called him.

"I am, Legatus." Cassio smiled at him. "I could hold more than the two goblets consumed. How about you?"

Cassio winked at the Legatus. He shifted his look to the lovely lady holding her lover arms.

"I am fine. Never finer in my days." Legatus smiled. "I may need you to firm on my legs. See to the men. Rotate them. Move a new cohort out."

"Aye, Legatus." Cassio saluted his superior. "Just in case, you are overly concerned. I already got Iago on the guard rotation. He would do a good task of it."

At that moment, Iago walked in looking for his drink. Othello smiled at the Praefectus. 

"Hold the Legion for me." Legatus told him before he took the steps on the staircase. Iago replied.

"Aye, Othello." The man was obviously forgetting his rank but Othello left him to the temporary lapse of memory. Othello then left the flooring to the drunks and yet to get drunk. Iago was to take his drink when Cassio approached him.

"Iago, you are on guard. Hold the drink." Iago looked to the Pilus who smell of the wine he had consumed. In his mind, if you can drink why can't myself. I had fought with more in my body; and even killed more than when he was sober.

"Hold on, Pilus." Iago told Cassio. "I have two of the Montana' aide, Lucius and Mathias to hold a private ceremony with us. Something of a personal thank you for us. The unsung heroes."

"Please no more drinks. I have drunk two of mine, watered to suit my lack of tolerance for it. Now you tell me that I am drink more." Cassio tried to change his Praefectus mind but the thought was interrupted by the entrance of two staggering men in toga.

"Ah, the Praefectus is here. So is the .....what his name?" The one name Lucius asked. He approached Cassio. "You owed us some drinks."


A goblet was thrust into the Pilus' hand. He was obliged to drink, being the next leader in the lineup. Iago pulled away while the three saw down to drink. Iago watched the three and smiled In his mind, Iago saw Cassio drinking; the undiluted version, and would be drunk soon. Like all drunks, he would forget himself. With that, he would be a child to lead to the play pen. He would make a fool of himself.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...