Monday, May 17, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 30

 

30.

 

There was a thing about love; it can make you do things that you will never think of. That was a bag of coins was to provide. The mercenary took shares of it to give to the other five with him. He handed over the coins and then nodded. They all knew their tasks well. They rode to the villa that was owned by Antonio Marcellus. It was past dusk then.

“Open the gate. It’s me, Michel.” The gates opened at the request of the Head of Guards.

“You are late, Michel. That will come out from your coins.” The Head told Michel. “We are short of men as it’s. It’s your turn to man the gates. The rest of you take on sentry duties.”

The Head retired with the other who was relieved on their duties.

Antonio sat at the table with his mother seated at the other end of the long table that could seat eight persons. His eyes averted to Adele who stood behind the old lady. The girls have all went to Rome to be with Antonio’s relatives for a holiday and also in preparation for the coming wedding.

“Heidi’s wedding will remove a burden off you.”

“It will, Mother. Will you going then?”

“I am not. I have much to do here. And Adele is needed with me.” The old lady then got up. “Adele, please take me to my chamber.”

The maid did as she was told. Once inside the chamber, the old lady turned to Adele.

“I know you have taken the liberty of planning my demise. It will take place tonight.”

“I have not…” Adele protested but was cut off.

“Do not plea before me, just when you did years ago. It was not me who took you into the household but my lover. He had you pinned for what I was no longer offering then. When I knew that you and Antonio were in the same bedding, I had frowned on it. It was an insult that my son will find it in you to indulge his lust.”

“My Lady, I love Antonio.” Adele defended her love.

“A whore would have done the same when there are coins to be given.” The older lady snapped back. “You are no more than a whore. Fortunately, you are one man’s whore. I will give you access to my son however when all of this is over, you will leave him. Your presence cannot be allowed to tarnish the name of the Marcellus.” The older lady glared at Adele and then continued.

“Don’t be taken in with my death tonight by whomever you conspired with; I am not dead in this villa. My soul will still be here. And I will be watching as I did years ago when you were with my lover.” 

“You are an evil person.” Adele could only make those words to the old lady/ “May you rot in your death.”

“And I shall with you watch me rot.” The old lady laughed. “I am a witch that has overtaken to be the host of the talisman that your mistress stole away. That spider is now my servant as were the serpents I unleashed on Augustus. I cannot fight off my destiny for my body to die tonight, but I can defy it to live on with my soul.” 

Adele left the old lady with tears rolling down her cheeks. She was not to be released from the torment there with the Marcellus family. She was met by Antonio in the corridor.

“Did she hurt you?” Antonio led Adele to his chamber. “I will speak to her.”

“No, Antonio. Nothing you can do will change things. I will need to be alone.”

Alone was what Lancelot decided to be but he can’t don the black armor on his own. He was at the hut and was assisted by the Friar.

“It’s not unusual for you to ride in the dark, Sire.” Friar Tate raised his concern.

“I have a late task. Do rest. I will be back soon. I need to do this alone.” It was the instruction that the Friar had then. He watched the knight rode off and then followed himself on the donkey. He was concerned about the knight.

Lonely was also how Arthur felt when he received Galahad late at the night. He met the knight at the Hall.

“How did you fare, Galahad?”

“It was Aubin but then…”

“Then it’s resolved. Lamorak I was told by the druid has stopped bleeding and may require to rest.” Arthur was delighted.

“Arthur…. I meant Prime”, Galahad then confused in his mind chose to address the other by the Legion rank. “Aubin was possessed by a demon we encountered way back at Gaul. It was in Aubin since then, and only came to surface recently.”

“Why chose Lamorak? Why not you or Gawain or even Gaheris? They are your closest.” Arthur asked.

“I know what but I feared why.” Galahad paused. “It may be to split our ranks. Romans to the locals…”

“It’s nonsense! I will not hear of it. My land is open to all and equal to all who stay here. They are no citizenship upon service or to be acquired. Only the nobles are given the terms as per their … privileges but not anymore.”

“What of the Sarmatians? Are they …”

“They are on my land and hold no action against me, they may stay. The attack on Lamorak was not by them but by a ….man possessed and only his life forfeited will suffice.”

“I think not, Prime. Once words get out, there will be conflicts between us and them. And maybe much later, others will be there including the locals. You are their King by namesake, but you are still a Roman.”

“Silence, Galahad. I could still penalize you when your Decurion is not here. I am still…” Arthur stopped there. He knew inside he was not the Prime by the ranks. “I am their King and they will abide by my rules.”

“Now leave to rest.” Arthur dismissed the knight and then asked. “Did you kill the Sarmatians?”

“Yes, I did.” Those words will inflame the feelings of some others.

Inflamed was the feelings of Molly who had done her shed of tears upon learning that Lamorak was recovering. Her anger was directed at another who she thinks may have attacked Lamorak.

“Your brother attacked Lamorak out of …. Jealousy?” Molly looked at Gaheris. “How could I tell him we are over when he avoids me?”

“But Molly. My brother loves you...”

“Your brother may have but not anymore. And neither is me.” Molly looked at Gaheris. “Now leave me be.”

Gaheris left the tavern with weary shoulders.

“Hello, brother.” Gaheris turned to the familiar voice.

“Gawain? Is that you?” Gaheris rushed to embrace his brother. “We must talk. Galahad may be in trouble.”

“What did Galahad do?” Gawain asked.

“He killed the Sarmartians. Aubin Knur.”

“Tell me of it,” Gawain said.

The death of the Sarmatians soon rippled to the land. And the reception was different.

For Tristan, it was anger not to mention by Galahad to Arthur of his deed.

“If it was not my dagger, the knight would have been dead.” Tristan tossed the pugio at the wall of the stable. His sudden move had startled the horse in the pen near the wall.

“How can he not speak the truth?” Tristan looked at the horse. “Unless he was there to silence the other of the voice?”

Tristan had followed the duo on the fast ride to the settlement and then to the campfire. He had stayed away even when Galahad had scouted the area. He remained hidden and then went near to hear the conversation. It was then he heard the Sarmatians confront Galahad.

.“Did you attack Lamorak?” Tristan heard Galahad ask.

“Yes, I did. The Roman was to lure Percival.”

“You had Aubin to attack my friend?” Galahad asked.

“Was he your friend? He was with your lover, suckling her breasts like a child for milk, and leaving his seeds in her. Was that what you still call your friend?”

“He …. is. I was no more with Molly. He can have her.” Galahad revealed his heart feelings. “I am not ready for her.”

“And you won’t be when I am done with you.” The syaitan in Aubin’s body laughed before its voice was croaked by the blade from the rear into the back of the neck. It dropped the scimitar held in the hand and then turned to look at the backstabber.

 He saw then Aubin laughed before he charged at Galahad. Tristan rushed forward and stabbed the dagger into the back of the neck. Soon after the death of the Samartian, Galahad had told Tristan that he was returning the Sarmatians to his people.

“Why must we do that? We should bring the body back to Arthur. He will want to see for himself the kill.”

“Aubin was my friend. I need to return his body to his people. They have their ritual for it. I will explain to Arthur.”

When Tristan heard less was spoken of him, he became upset.

“I will earn my seat at the round table. When I do, I will sit opposite you, Sir Galahad. As one who can see where you may go or do.”

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...