Monday, May 17, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 28

 

28.

 

Elaine sat on the saddle to wait for the rider from the Marcellus Villa to reach her. It was another lady and soon they met without dismounting.

“I got what you will need.” It was Adele who handed the case to Elaine. The other had on a hood with a cloak over her clothes. “Do it and the Marcellus will not be here anymore. I will convince Antonio to move back to Rome.”

“You may do you wished, lady. I have no desire to hold you here.”

“So do I. I am here because of Antonio. I will gladly leave here.” Adele then looked at the case. “I trust you know what is in it.”

“Me? I am not keen to know but my friends would.” Elaine smiled. “I hardly know you, Adele. You were a …”

“A maid and caretaker of the girls. They are young adults now.  Heidi will be wedded next season to a Marquis in Spain. Caitlin and Madeline will be sent to Hispania to learn with their cousins. As for me, I am to be sent back to Rome for what I was told by the old lady. She will split us apart; slut she called me. I am not worth her son’s desire.”

“Slut? Isn’t we all at times?” Elaine laughed. “Maybe we shall all hold a Roman orgy to show them the old ways.”

“I must go now. Remember your words to me. I will be with Antonio. He still has powerful allies in Rome.” Adele said.

“And we are in Britannica. Ride on, slut. Your lover awaits you.” Elaine turned her horse to ride off. Adele looked at the departing Augustus. She never liked Elaine, who looked at her as the maid and the equal from Rome. She was contacted by the servants that a lady wishes to see her and when they met, she was surprised that it was Elaine.

“Adele Meli, you are still here. I would not have expected you to last that long.” Elaine knew of Adele’s past; a colorful one when she was the Senior Marcellus’ young lover. He was an old man but his desire was with the young girls.

“I want to be their first.” The old man had said to Elaine’s father. Auric Augustus was no better a man than the other but he prized his own like trophies to be held but never used. Elaine remembered the young girl standing before her father. Elaine was behind the curtain and remained hidden.

“I will do as you bid.” The young girl told the elder man.

“You will obey my words... And I will see that you are rewarded.” The young girl had nodded.

“Good. Now be the better girl to please me.” Elaine was too young to know but she found it fascinating when a grown man will let a young girl do then to him. It was all a lesson to her and the hardest lesson was later.

“I did not mean to do it.” The young girl had walked into the Hall of the Augustus then in Rome. “He saw me and I killed him.”

There were only Elaine and her father there having their supper. Elaine was dismissed while Auric spoke to the girl. She was to know more when the news came.

“The Marcellus had their Master killed by unknown assassins.” It was Auric who volunteered to investigate with the approval of the Senate. The outcome was the execution of a servant who even before her death had claimed innocence. Adele Meli was then moved to become the servant to Antonio.

The murder was resolved with the execution.

 Most times, it was not that simple.

“The wound was deep and based on the cut; I would say it was a curved blade.” Merlin looked to the knights seated at the round table. He could make out their names; Arthur, Lancelot, Galahad, Gaheris, Kay, and Belvedere. Lamorak’s seat was vacant and so was the one reserved for Percival.

“Gaheris, I have not finalized the names but three brothers … all of you are loyal to me. You are all good warriors deserving to be knights. I will give you a seat for now. Let me decide on Gawain later.” Arthur looked to the others. “Let it be known that the seats are not yours for good unless you have done your tasks here and for Camelot.”

“Others will fill the other seats soon enough.”

It was then another knight stepped in carrying the halberd. 

“I am the Green Knight and would like to seek a place here.” Arthur looked to the one that he had seen but never was he challenged by the other. He had heard much news of the Green Knight.

“I valued good knights, Green Knight. You may sit with us.” Arthur offered the seat.

“We are eight today and will be more soon. Thirteen shall seat here.” Arthur looked at the knights. “No ladies please.”

That stunned the knights, and Arthur had to correct his statements.

“The ladies may not sit here.” That was one unwritten law of the round table. The knights seated there all laughed.

“As I was saying, the wound was deep and based on the cut; I would say it was a curved blade.” Merlin looked to the knights once more who were seated at the round table.

“Find the blade…” Merlin added and was cut off.  

“Was it like scimitar?” Galahad drew his sword and placed it on the table. Everyone was stunned. Some of them like Percival may know of Galahad’s sword but not Lancelot or the Green Knight.

“I don’t think…” Belvedere said.

“No, he did not. I was with him that night.” Gaheris defended his brother. “He was …. We were resting at the stables. We love our horses…”

“Was there anyone?” Arthur asked. Galahad shook his head and it was Merlin who stood in with the reply.

“I saw them there. I was on my way out to the forest. It was a fine night to collect the flowers that bloom in the night.”

It was Galahad who then took the attention of all.

“I may know who may know of the ones that attacked the Optio. He may be only few I knew who wield the curved blade.” Galahad spoke. “He is…”

“I did not harm the Optio.” It was Aubin who had arrived. “My sword was with me and it did not draw blood on it.”

“Sarmatians, I did not invite you.” Arthur looked at the other. He had not to deal with the mercenaries soon his ascension to King Arthur.

“No, you did not but he did.” Aubin pointed to Galahad. “He seeks me to clear my name. And also of my people.”

“Prime”, Aubin addressed Arthur by his Roman rank. “We have no dealing with your people or the Legion soon after the war. Many have gone South or back to the continent. So have I but I returned for I hold good friends here. The Optio was a friend too.”

“My people all wield the scimitar,” Aubin told the knights. “But we do not quarrel with the Optio or any of you... We are contented with our own lives.”

“How could we trace the blade?” Galahad asked of Aubin

“There is a way. The wound has seen the blade and it can reveal.” Aubin drew his sword. “I need to see the Optio,”

Soon, at the side of Lamorak’s bedding, Aubin drew his scimitar once more. He placed the tip of the blade at the wound on the waist. The blood seeped out onto the blade. Lamorak moved to the renewed pain.

“He is bleeding again. My effort…” Merlin sighed and rushed forth to attend to the wound. Aubin stepped back to look at the droplets of blood.

“It was a scimitar but the wielder was not of my people,” Aubin spoke. “It may have been taken without the knowledge or stolen but the blade is the wielder.”

“You may have lied to cover for your people.” Lancelot laid the finger at Aubin

“I may do it to protect my own, but I would rather do it to save my brother. The blood on the blade has never been wrong. Ask you druid and he can attest to it.”

“The spell he did was not wrong but he may have undone my work. I may need to attend to Lamorak or by dawn; they need a new knight.” Merlin said.

“Find the attacker by dawn or I will hunt them down with you as the first to tell me.” Arthur looked at Aubin and then Galahad. “No one hurt my knights. Not even the knights themselves for if they do it to others, the answer to me.”  

“Who attacked Lamorak?” It was Tristan who barged in with the gladius drawn. “I demand an answer.”

The knights except Arthur stood up and drew their swords.

“Who ails for, my Optio?” Arthur asked.

“He who is a fellow Legionnaire and also the kin of Lamorak. Tristan is the name.”

“Tristan? I have not heard of you.” Arthur said.

“I served not as any leader but among the ranks of the Legionnaires. I am with the Legio VI Victrix to be with him.” Tristan looked at the others. “Who will dare to attack my uncle in such foul manner? Face me like a true warrior.”

“The …” Arthur was cut off by Aubin.

“Your uncle was attacked with a scimitar. It’s the blade of my warriors. I am offering to check for it.” Aubin told Tristan.

“How can we trust one who may be in the works with the attackers?” Tristan glared at Aubin. “I will...”

“I stand with Aubin. We are given a day and night to seek the truth, or I will challenge Aubin to the duel of death to avenge Lamorak.” Galahad cut in. “I am Galahad of …”

“I know your name, Sire. I will not have one other to duel for my uncle, while I stand here.” Tristan turned to Aubin. “You will have your day and night and after then, if no one turns up, I will do the duel with you.”

‘You are insolent for a Legionnaire.” Arthur roared at Tristan. “Or as a knight.”

“Then I am neither. Farewell, King Arthur. May you reign well?” Tristan then walked off.

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...