Sunday, May 30, 2021

Arthur II Book IV Chapter 7

 

7.

Lord Ban seated on the saddle looked to the Augustus Villa. He knew that it was owned by the ailing Master but he held the protection of Lancelot then revealed to be the Black Knight. With that, he had earned the scorn from Arthur. He knew then it was time to usurp the favored knight from the King’s mind. He turned to look at the assembled twenty strong mercenaries dressed like Anglo Saxons and held the same weapons.

“Lord, the villa held the strength of forty guards, not including the servants.” The head of the mercenaries said.

“Those numbers were taken care of with the help of some coins. Their meals and drinks are laced with potions to make them weak. Spare the servants unless they resist.” Lord Ban replied. Then he changed his mind.

“Kill the servants. I will not have anyone to tell on me.” Lord Ban knew that the dead ones will not reveal his role there. He will let the family be killed like the Marcellus and then the estate will be open for pillaging. He knew he can’t own the land yet but with coins in his name, he could buy it over. He had once done it with Lord Bors but they were no more allies.

“You will loot the villa and bring me the bounties. Half will be yours.” Lord Ban told the mercenary.

The attack took place as scheduled and the guards were too weak to fight. The mercenaries swept through the villa and killed everyone. Despite the weakened guards’ condition, five mercenaries were killed. They soon cornered Auric Augustus at the chamber.

“Do you know who am I? My wrath will be heavy on you and your family.” Auric then supported by the long cane to hold up had held the gladius in the right hand. “I am Auric Augustus, and I am related to Sir Lancelot.”

“We feared no one, Sire, and today we will take what is yours.” The mercenary approached the ailing man and stabbed him in the chest. Auric had wanted to fight but the gladius was heavy in his hand. The elderly Noble was soon discarded body onto the courtyard.

“Tell the servants to retrieve the silverware and coins to be loaded onto the wagon.” The mercenaries have taken it from the stable. Soon, the loot was loaded and the servants rounded up. Two of the servants stepped up to the mercenaries’ leader.

“It’s us who poison the food and drinks, my Lord. Will you spare some of the coins?” The servant looked at the leader.

“Aye, we will. It will be the slice of your throat.” The leader swung the sword to cut the servant’s throat. The other tried to run but was cut down by another mercenary. The other servants cowered into a huddle while the leader told them of their fate.

“You will all die but I will let you go. Be gone and be far.” The leader grabbed some coins with both hands and tossed it to them. “Take what you can grab and leave.”

The fifteen mercenaries saw the servants fled with whatever coins they could pick and was to flee themselves with the wagon. It was then they heard the calls of mercy outside the wall. They saw then the riders that rode in. It was twenty of them led by Lord Ban.

“My Lord, why are you here?” The leader approached Lord Ban.

“I am not your Lord. You are a despicable man to do such a heinous act. Be gone.” Lord Ban had his sword plunged into the mercenary’s chest. He then saw his men engaged the mercenaries who were then put to death.

“Leave the bodies here. We will take the wagon. And burn the villa. It does disgust me.” Lord Ban then turned his horse to ride. He found at the gates was another rider.

“Lord Bors?”

“Yes, your brother in ally. It’s me. I have come to witness your act here where you killed the Augustus household. I am here to avenge them.” Lord Bors said.

“You are alone? I am with twenty of my men.” Lord Ban laughed. “What absurd threat is that?”

“They are no more of yours. They ride with me.” Lord Bors replied. “Kill him now.”

Two of the riders plunged their swords into Lord Ban from the rear then taken by surprise. He fell off the saddle and Lord Bors rode up.

“The act was to set you up. Now I will take over your lands and also the loot here.” Lord Bors laughed. “We are not bound by oaths of chivalry but personal gain in power and wealth.”

“Leave the bodies. Let the locals report his death.” Lord Bors rode off with the wagon trailing.

Such was the loyalty of friends but not all.

Jaseth had taken Mordred to his hut and had the wound tended. The other knight was upset at being defeated by Lancelot. He had never tasted defeat in his training.

“It’s not and won’t be the last,” Jaseth told the younger knight while he wrapped the bandage around the wound. Mordred seated on the only available seat had his wounded leg straightened.

“What is great of the knight named Lancelot? Who is he?”

“Lancelot is one of the greater knights on this land. He had fought with Arthur for many seasons. Why did you say you were from Normandy?”

“I… I heard of the name and used it. I am from …” Mordred replied but Jaseth stopped him.

“Don’t tell if you don’t want them to know. As you may not know my name but my namesake here will do.” Jaseth told him. “I will be your …. Guide but I cannot be your friend. If you are with me, you will die the hard way. Not like this.”

“Green Knight, teach me the ways of this land.” Mordred looked at the other knight.

“First thing is to feed our hunger.” Jaseth smiled. It was then Mordred asked the other the pertinent question that was on his mind.

“What did the Black Knight speak to you?” Jaseth did not reply immediately and later he spoke. “He has mistaken me for someone he wants to kill,” Jaseth told him. “Now we will hunt for food, or eat the grass outside.”

Guinevere heard the Black Knight was Lancelot. She was surprised at that. She had heard the talks that the Black Knight was with Lord Pendragon when he died and then at the Marcellus Villa. She wondered if he knew more than she was told.

“My lady, I bring in bad news. Auric Augustus is dead.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...