Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 27

 

27.

 

Percival was awakened when he heard the door to his chamber open. He sat up and reached for his sword. He could make out the figure standing there at the doorway, hesitating to step in, but he could make out was a lady then. The lighted torch outside the chamber displayed the curves of a woman through the thin materials of the sleeping gown.

“Lady … Lady Angharad?” Percival asked.

“No, it’s me, Enide. I came to see if you needed a drink.” Enide replied.

“I am fine. Where is Erec?” Percival asked. “Is he not with you?”

“He has ridden off on his new task, I know not what,” Enide said. “May I come in? It’s cold here.”

Percival stepped off the bedding and in his tunic he stepped to the brazier to stoke the embers there to provide heat to the chamber. He then lights the candles and offered the lady a seat.

“Why was it that you have returned here? Why didn’t you have come to rescue me?” Enide broke down with tears. Percival was stunned and approached the lady. He went down on one knee and held her hands.

“I don’t …”

“Sire, I would love Erec but he is so distant from me. He rides on his tasks of chivalry leaving me neglected. He swore to speak only when spoken by him and imprisoned here in this castle. He is my Lord and yet I find no desire to serve him.” Enide looked at Percival. “Why was it not you?”

“Me? I am …”

“Yes, you are no better. Lady Angharad likes you but you won’t accept her. We are both doomed to the emptiness of living in silence.”

“I am confused, Lady Enide. Why have you come to see me at this dark time, and more so when your lover is away? It may create misunderstanding among us.”

“You are right. I am not a good lover to my Lord. Nor do I fail to serve him; I have … failed in many ways.”

“Failed?” In the mind then of Percival, his lack of understanding of the ladies and lovers, made him hold judgment over them.

“You must return to Erec. He who had wedded you will …. need you. I can’t be … here.” Percival stood up and stepped to his clothes and armor. “I think it’s fair that you leave.”

“What had transpired here? I have not left the castle far and returned for my sword, and yet you are here with him on this late night?” It was Erec who stood there in his armor. “Speak, Percival. I am to be told the truth or it will be my sword to defend my honor.”

“Erec, I did nothing to stain your honor and nor of hers. Enide came here to speak to me for I was still awake. She spoke of you…” Percival saw Lady Angharad had stepped in.

“It’s true. I was here with him and had stepped out to get my… coat. It was cold.” Lady Angharad told Erec. “But there are things that you need to know. Of yourself and your lover.”

“What ails here that I am to know? I am given the task to perform…” Erec was cut off.

“And what tasks that make you neglect your love? You who wore her father’s armor and wedded her to ride off on your tasks. Did you ask of your lover? Was she in pain or … lonely?” Lady Angharad had turned to Percival then.

“I am a knight and hold my duties to perform. I had her with me before. I told her to keep silent for in battle, I cannot be distracted.” Erec looked to Enide. “She broke her silence not once but thrice. I had to leave her behind.”

“You were pursued by knights…” Enid said.

“And I stopped them with my sword,” Erec replied.

“I was to be violated by the Count. If I had not screamed, how would you have come to my rescue?” Enide's screams were heard by Erec when he was accompanied by the Count’s men. He had brushed them off and stormed the chamber to rescue his lover.

“We fled and were chased by the Count’s men. Hundreds they were and she screamed.”

“I did for you. I feared your life against so many.” Her screams brought help to them by the arrival of Arthur’s knights who were nearby. The battle was intense and the Count’s men withdrawn.

“You were hurt then and fallen unconscious The good knights sent us to the nearby monastery to rest and recuperate. How was I to know that we were trailed by the Count? He wanted to wed him while you lay unconscious there. I resisted and called your name.” Enide looked at Erec.

“I know. I had awakened and killed the Count. Your voice drew me back. I was dying.” Erec looked at his lover. “I could not bear to have you endangered anymore. I have to leave you here protected.”

“Is that to include me not knowing if you were to return to me? Erec, I am your lover. If you to die, I am willing to die with you.” Enide cried out. “How could you torment me of this?”

Lady Angharad then stepped up to Erec.

“Take her back.  She needs you here.” Lady Angharad placed her right hand to her heart. “You need her too.”

“Whom I may need is my decision.” Erec led Enide back and Lady Angharad was standing there with Percival.

“Would you be mine, Lady Angharad?” Percival found his voice.

“You picked the wrong time to ask. I ….I need time to reply.” Lady Angharad took leave of Percival.

It was the timely find of Lamorak that have got him to live but his wounds were deep. Merlin was summoned by the guards when Lamorak was brought into Camelot castle. The druid did his best with herbs and bandages. Arthur was old and he called for a search for the attackers that night.

“Call the knights to step in now.” Arthur roared.

“How is he, druid?”

“I don’t know yet. His wounds are deep and his bleeding has stopped. Now we leave it to the hands of the faith. Of whatever he believes in.” Merlin sighed. “My work is done for now.”

When a person is near death, they may get to see their true life destiny.

“Molly?” Lamorak stood there with the bloodied tunic but the gaps in the wounds were there but the blood had stopped spurting. Molly was there in the gown and apron as if she was serving in the tavern. She approached him holding the goblet.

“Drink that. It will heal you.” Molly told him. Lamorak looked into the contents and saw it was plain water.

“No mead?” Lamorak asked.

“It's water. My tears filled that goblet.” Molly looked at him. Lamorak saw then swollen eyelids and looked to the goblet again.

“Were you…”

“What did you expect? My piss? It’s my tears of worries for you. What did you do Whom did you offend?”

“Galahad...” Lamorak saw the other behind Molly.

“Who? Galahad? He was no more in my life. He is  ...” Molly turned away. “I loved you.”

“I am …. “ Lamorak sighed. “I am not sure. I mean you may want to ask Galahad. He was there before me.”

“So he was, And many others? Do you also want to know who was first?” Molly turned to glare at him. “Do I want to know yours too?”

“I had…. none before you. I was …”

“I should have known. You were too … Fuck you, Lamorak. Why did you have to get into a fight and be drunk then?”

“I don’t know. I guess I was in pain. I needed to fight. I have been fighting ever since.” Lamorak reached for his wound at the waist. “Pain dulled my … desire…”

Molly kicked him in the balls. He keeled over and screamed out.

“That’s my pain too.” Molly reached out to the man and laid his head on her bosom. “Just come back to me. And fuck Galahad. Well, I did and he won’t be anymore.”

At that moment, Galahad had Gaheris pinned to the wall.

“Did you do it?” Galahad looked towards his brother.

“Do what? The Optio? No, I did not. I was with you all the time.” Gaheris replied. “Maybe someone did you a favor.”

Galahad released his hold on the brother. He stepped back. Someone took on the Optio, and it was done for him. Someone close to him.

“No, not Gawain. He won’t backstab anyone.” Galahad thought of names and came up with one.

“Aubin Knur.”

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...