Saturday, May 22, 2021

Arthur II Book IV Chapter 2

 

2.

The attack on the Marcellus Villa was still on the whispers among the locals.

“It was a massacre then. The guards staged a revolt and they killed the others in their sleep.” The one in the tavern corner took a sip of the mead and then sighed. “What a way to die.”

“I heard the master of the household held them off with his sword.” Another on the same table added in. “He was brave but the savior was too late.”

“I heard it was the Black Knight. He came to their rescue. For the Romans, that knight does not need to do just that.” The first one who spoke ridiculed the other.

Unknown to the duo, another was listening in. It was a solitary knight minding his own business and thought of having a quiet drink. Jaseth recalled that night after he rode off when he saw Lancelot. His mind was at unease on the old witch there.

“It’s not the time yet,” Jaseth told himself. He rode off to his sanctuary to remove his amour. He then unsaddled the horse and took it to wash when the amulet on his neck vibrated. He knew then there was witchery abound. He did not don his armor but grabbed his halberd and sword. He rode bareback on the horse at the one place he knew was the cause of it.

The gates were opened and Jaseth rode in. He encountered no guards but there were trails of blood in the Hall. He heard the fighting above and rushed there. He was in time to see the black-armored knight slaying the guard.

“Hold your fighting, knight,” Jaseth called out. The black-armored knight pushed the dead guard off his sword.

“I am not the killers. They slay the household. I am here to protect them but I am late. The household master lays dead Inside.”

“Who are you? I am the ….” Jaseth realized that he had not donned the green armor. “I am a knight of the realm.”

“I hold no name except the armor I wore. I am the one they called the Black Knight.” The other replied. “My work is done and I am to leave. You may assist the old lady. She is unharmed.”

The Black Knight stepped over the dead guard and walked off. Jaseth approached the chamber and saw the old lady standing there by the wall, with her hands held above her. She was in her nightgown and was chanting some spells. He knew that she was calling on her witchcraft to protect her. It was then he saw the serpent that appeared from under her feet. It was a small one but it held the venom to kill.

“I command you to kill me. I shall not be taken alive.” The old lady spoke.

“I am not here to kill….” Just as Jaseth was to reply, the serpent struck at the lady on the right leg. She collapsed onto her knees and the serpent struck once more at the chest. Jaseth reacted with speed to kill the serpent and then approached the dying lady. He cradled the lady into his arms.

“I have sinned but I will not be burned at the stake or kill by you. I prefer death.” The lady whispered in her dying breaths.

“The one you can save is in the closet. He sent her there before he fought those guards.” The old lady pointed to the closet. “Her name is Adele and her….”

Jaseth felt the old lady had slipped into death in his arms.  He then saw the three other guards alongside the Master dead there in the chamber.

“Come out now, lady. The guards are dead.” Jaseth called out. Adele stepped out into tears after seeing the death of her lover.

“Antonio, you must not die…” Adele cried. Jaseth saw no use of his being there and stood up to leave.

“You must not go, Sire. Avenge my master for me.”

“He was by the other knight. I had come in late to stop the older lady’s death.” Jaseth explained. “You will be fine.”

“No, I am not. The black knight came to kill me. He had questioned the dying guards but none knew of my whereabouts. He is protecting…” Adele had then gasped in her words. Jaseth looked to the back and saw the Black Knight had returned. The returning knight had hurled the spear into the frightened lady. The spear had pierced the lady in the chest. Jaseth had reached for the spear but the lady was dead.

“Why?” Jaseth had turned to face the Black Knight.

“She hired the killers to kill the Marcellus.” The Black Knight said. “I had questioned the killers.”

“That was not what I knew. I was …” Jaseth held back his words. He saw the Black Knight left the chamber.

“I will …. You will pay for this kill, Black Knight.” Jaseth swore in his words.

Later back at the tavern, Molly asked the man seated there if he wanted a refill of the mead.

“No, I am fine. Do you know the Black Knight? Who is the real knight beneath the armor?” Jaseth asked.

“No one knows who he is. But I was told he will appear at the next tournament?”

Jaseth knew that he will also be there. He will challenge the Black Knight and the winner will be the one who will reveal his real face.

That night, The Black Knight returned to his lair, tired, and was met by the Friar who assisted in the removal of the armor. The friar saw the blood and hen questioned the knight.

“Was it a bloody fight?”

“They all are, Friar. And I have to …. Remove the one who caused it all and created an enemy.”

“Who?” The friar asked.

“I killed the lady who was the one who hired the guards to kill the family, and in turn, I was met by another knight who came to her rescue. He did not reveal his name but he wielded the halberd. I have heard of ….”

“The Green Knight, Sire. He wielded the halberd. How could you have not recognized him?”

“He was without his armor and more to it, he was unknown. I heard the one that was said to be the Green Knight was one named Sir Bernlak but he had died. Maybe another had taken his place.”

“Was he your equal, Sire?”

“We did not battle,” Lancelot replied.

“Then we won’t know. Anyway, the tournament is scheduled for tomorrow. Perhaps you might there?”

“The jousting tournament of Camelot? I had forgotten all about it. Should I go as myself or …”

“The choice may be obvious. The Black Knight will bring forth the other.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...