Saturday, May 22, 2021

Arthur II Book IV Chapter 3

 

3.

Arthur glared at his Queen seated in defiance at the round table when he had forbidden that only the assigned with be given a seat. She sat at the one marked for Lancelot and not his. He felt a sense of discomfort but he will not let that overcome his emotions. After all, Lancelot was wedded and probably still sowing his seeds inside his lover while he had none to share with.

They were at the Hall in Camelot castle and the servants have all retreated to the rear castle for better reasons.

“What is your resistance to my tournament? I held it to celebrate my victory over the raider. As it was always on the defeat of an enemy.” Arthur looked at the one he had crowned the Queen.

“It’s a mockery of their skills and more like a boy’s game.” Guinevere snapped back. “And I am to present them a rose for their effort. This is absurd.”

“It’s the King’s tournament and the knights adore you when you give them a rose. They loved you as their Queen.”

“Or to hold my hand when I handed the rose out like this.” Guinevere mimicked the handing of the rose with her right hand. “Shall I hold my gown open for it may reveal my bosom to them?”

“A …” Arthur bit his tongue there. He was back and all Guinevere told him as she was unwell. He had wanted to deny her of her sickness but felt obligated towards her. He had seen her in various states of undress and yet he was not to touch her.

“Surely, you could do …” Arthur looked at Guinevere.

“Wear a neck-high gown? I would but the heat in the day was stifling.” Guinevere cut in.

“I was to say…. Never mind. You may be excused. I will handout the …. gifts by myself then.” It was then a servant intervene the two in their discussion.

“Send him in now.” Arthur then looked at his Queen. “I have a guest from the Wall. May I have the table back?’

Guinevere took leave just as Centurion Marius Giles stepped in. He took his seat at the round table and spoke of his visit.

“The murder of the Marcellus family had left me with issues locally.” Marius did not mince his words. “Rome will have nothing to do with it. The daughters are safe in Hispania if I am not mistaken. However the local families, Meleagant and Augustus conflict with the lands owned by the previous Marcellus. The rule of the land states that the land belonged to no one until a stake is made known officially with the needed proof of ownership or rights.”

“Who holds the stake then?” Arthur asked.

“Too many of them are at it I am afraid.” Marius snapped out. “Even the other local Lords are in the tussle. Lord Ban and Bors with the Elders are it too. Their conflict had erupted into a rivalry of the two Lords.”

“And yourself?” Arthur asked.

“I favored not of it. I have my own in Rome and Hispania. I am not greedy.” Marius replied. “Bardel Meleagant is ill and his son Octavia manages the estate. He is vicious that young Noble. He does not back from fights although he hardly does it himself. He has his guards to do it.”

“Tell me of Lord Ban and Bors,” Arthur asked.

“Loyal allies of the deceased Lord Pendragon but now they are rivals. Lord Ban held the support of the Elders.” Marius then smiled. “They are in your tournament tomorrow. They want to see who will topple the other.”

“The Augustus?”

“With the wedding of Elaine and Lancelot, that family held their own with the influence of Lancelot but Auric the Elderly, he still holds friends at the Senate.”

“I hear the Empire is at crossroads with Emperors on different states.” Arthur looked at Marius. “Then why are you here?”

“Rome conflicts but here you reign as King. Take the land as per their King. I hold no control over what was beyond the wall. My bursar complained to me of the lack of coins frequently and I need no more legionnaires that I cannot pay or be burden by it.” Marius told him. Arthur looked to the Centurion.

“Take the land?” Arthur reckoned he ought to and the land may yield his harvests.

“I will consider. I will send you coins to maintain your Legionnaires well. While Rome burns, we need not have it here. Are you staying for the tournament?” Arthur asked.

“I will be now,” Marius replied with a smile. “The extra coins will make my bursar less grumpy.”

However, the smile was not on Merlin when he met Vivianne at the lakeside. He had waited impatiently for some time and soon she appeared in her usual fanfare of sprouting water fountain and then slide to the lakeside.

“I have no news on Morgause or Morgan. They have not resurfaced.” Vivianne said. “Why have you sought me?”

“I felt the vibrations of someone new in the realm. Do you know of it?”

“We did but it cannot be traced. It’s not entirely evil but there is goodness there. I am sorry, I can’t help you there.” Vivianne replied. “I have heard of the news that there are some elves who are working with you and yet they will not disclose their tasks.”

“Oh, those tasks are menial. With my role at Camelot, I have asked them to assist me. It’s nothing to be a concern with.” Merlin said. “Why do you ask?”

“Merlin, you are known to be elusive and I will not pursue it for now. If I did find out that you have done things which may be harmful to us, I will not spare you.” Vivianne made her stand.

“I have a favor to ask of you.” Merlin brought up the subject he was there to meet Vivianne.

“Speak your mind, Merlin.”

“I require a sword.” Merlin looked at Vivianne. “I am to send the knights; the worthy ones to seek the Grail. It will be brought to Camelot. And probably kept by you.”

“There are two great swords out there; Excalibur and Arondight. Why would I give you another?”

“The quest for the Grail is a difficult one and knights on it may require more than bravery. I am thinking of …”

“Balin’s sword. I know of your favor but do you know that the sword is cursed.” Vivianne told Merlin. “You knew that it once belonged to Balin Le Savage, the brave knight long before Lancelot and Arthur were here.”

“I know of the tale that he drew the sword out of the scabbard when it was carried by Lady Lile, on her girded on her waist belt. She was your predecessors as Lady of the Lake. She offered to the worthy knight to draw the sword.”

“Lady Lile did offer that challenge but she also said the sword to return to her after it’s drawn but Balin kept the sword despite the call to have it returned. He was warned that the sword would make him kill his loved one before it’s sheathed once more. Balin ignored her warning and did incur the wrath when he killed his brother in a duel.”

“Balin carried the curse till death. Upon his death, the sword was returned to the Lake.”

“And now you want it again?” Vivianne looked hard at Merlin. “I will ….”

“In the quest for the Grail, Vivianne.” Merlin reinstated his request.

“I will let you know.” Vivianne then slipped back into the lake. There she was met by the other ladies.

“I did not tell him of Morgan. I fear if he knew, he may overreact. Morgan Le Fay is more powerful now.” Vivianne looked to the others. “She will avenge her sister.”

“Did you ask him about his works with the elves?” Nimue asked.

“I did but he refused to tell me. He will be watched by us and when he is done, we will take on him as we did with Morgause.” Vivianne states her view. “I have my loyalty to the Lake only.”  

“Then what did he want?” Nimue asked.

“He asked not of anything. Back to our training please, Ladies. We have a foe on the horizon.” Vivianne told the others. The ladies then dispersed to their tasks. Based on loyalty, Merlin upon leaving the lake went to look for Ronin the Elf whom he entrusted the important task. He met the latter at the forest.

“I have asked for the Balin’s sword,” Merlin told Ronin. “Was it a wise choice?”

“That sword is the last to be made but it’s cursed. Its master must be a great knight.” Ronin replied. “And out there, there are many great knights. But none as good as …”

“He is Lancelot. I know.” Merlin changed the subject to Morgause. “How is she?”

“She is still very much the same. She had a scant collection of the past. She can’t remember her name but could recite some spells. We have to be careful.”  

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...