Monday, May 17, 2021

Arthur II Book III Chapter 29

 

29.  

 

The Green Knight was handled the small case by a servant who told him that he will know of its contents.

“Lady Elaine of Augustus sent her regards.”

Jaseth who had just left the castle at Camelot rode to the nearby clearing far from the crowd. He opened the case and saw inside was a letter. It read as stated.

“Whoever finds this letter, know that I was a victim of witchery by one who was the matriarch of the Marcellus family. Her name is Judith Ingenio, married to Master Glinco Mario Marcellus. I was wedded to their son, Antonio Gilden Marcellus. It was a fine arrangement and all was happy until I discovered the lady of her witchcraft. I was to know then, she had conjured up the spells which made me love her son. It was because, in the event of my father’s death, I was to inherit the estate. She wanted it for Marcellus. It saddens me then that my love was deceived. Soon after, my father died of suspicious acts and then my life became hellish. I was barred from my daughters and Antonio was to be the man I hardly knew of his actions. I bear with it all until the death of Master Glinco. From then on, I was imprisoned and made to sign the estate I inherited over. It was only death that awaits me and I did it for my daughters but I took something from Judith. Her evil talisman gave her power. Without it, she was only able to do small spells. He tortured me for days for it, but I had given it away. I had it given to Adele, my friend with the words that only a saintly person may remove that demon that resided in it. Adele knew that the same fate will befall her if the older lady gets the talisman.”

Jaseth picked up the talisman which resembled a spider with its webbing. He felt the amulet on his neck vibrated when he held the talisman.

“It’s evil” Jaseth looked at the talisman. It was looking for its host to provide it sustenance.

“Mistress of the Dark, your days are marked.” The Green took the oath. 

“An amusing item you hold there, Knight.” Jaseth turned to look at the one who spoke from the narrow slit in the helmet. It was Lancelot.

“I have my dealings with it. It’s evil.” Jaseth replied. “I lived with my halberd to vanquish the demons.”

“So, I was told. Who is the one disturbed by the evil demon?”

“It’s… I can’t tell you. You are too noble to do such a task.” Jaseth said. “Only the …”

“I may not be but I was told the Black Knight rides once again, and evils shall be dealt with, demonic or man.”

“The Black Knight? Yes, I have heard of that name but we never met.” Jaseth replied.

“How do you intend to kill this demon?” Lancelot looked at the Green Knight. “Who told you of the demon?”

“I don’t know. This evil is with the Nobles. They are harder to confront. It was another Noble to tell me of it.” Jaseth looked to the Marcellus villa.

“Whom may I ask?” Lancelot was curious.

“I am Elaine of Augustus.”

“Elaine…” Lancelot was stunned by the name. He looked at the villa then.

“She was told by the Queen, whom I had taken an oath to protect.” Jaseth tasted the bitterness in his words. It was not his oath but that of the Green Knight to a lady he had never met.

“The Queen… as in Lady Guinevere?” Lancelot pressed on. “Is she in any trouble?”

“When have the demons not strike at who and when they want? I don’t know if the threat yet but I intend to strike before it does. Like the land, the nobles are not of the land, and yet they occupied the most of it. They are protected by the Romans and thus are, we the real landowners are deprived of the land. We toil on it and pay them with a part of the harvest. They struck when we are at our weakest.”

“Aye, you are right but we are the conquered and not the conqueror.” Lancelot sighed. “A land so fertile and yet we are the weaker on it. And now a King that is not even of the land.”

“I hear there is unrest among the locals on them. It may need to look at.” Jaseth looked at Lancelot. “It’s your task and not mine. I am to vanquish evil.”

“Are outlaws and brigands not evil, Sir Knight?” Lancelot asked.

“They are but they are not demonic evil. I am to do those only.” The Green Knight replied before he rode off.

“To me, they are the same.” Lancelot looked to the villa once more. “I cannot strike without a call but I can create that call.”

Another was to make the call when Aubin reached near the settlement of the Sarmatians. He was with Galahad. He halted his horse and then looked at Galahad.

“I thank you for not bringing your brother or any others. My people with the war over have grown to dis-trust yours. They know they are on a foreign land but many have wanted to settle down. The warring days are over.” Aubin looked back at the settlement. They have built a wooden fence around it, and about fifty families made their homes there. Most of them are with children or aged but there are the young ones which still yearn to battles like their elder brothers or fathers.

“I can understand that. I will stick close to you. If anyone confronts me, you will speak for me.” Galahad said.

“Then it's good but I feared we may not have much time to find what we sought.”

“A half-day and full night may be sufficient. Shall we ride in?” Galahad was impatient to begin.

The ride in was met by curious or angry stares but with Aubin, everyone kept a reasonable distance from Galahad. They rode to the biggest structure which housed the Hall. They have met the tribunal of elders consisting of three elderly warriors.

“I see you brought in a guest. He may carry the scimitar but he is not of us. He smells more like Roman.” The leader of the elderly said to Aubin.

“His name is Galahad and brother to me. We were  ...”

“We heard of him before. He who once rode with you and with you had fought off the syaitan. As in the words that blew with the winds.” The leader cut in. “Step into the hall and be done with your call, Roman.”

Once inside the Hall, Galahad states his reason.

“And our reply to you is that we know not of whom and why he was attacked. None of the warriors have owned upon the act, and we believe them.” The leader said.

“It may be the works of another to tarnish our people. We have lived in peace here but not any of the neighbors want us with them. The Romans have sent their emissary to see us and when we refuse them, they send the mercenaries. We have fought and chase them off. “

“Who were they?” Galahad asked.

“The Romans…... I know not their names but they are landowners.” The leader replied.

“The mercenaries....”

“Various people including your own looked towards the coins to do their tasks. Even the local Lords are no different. We are, after all, the unwanted here.”

Galahad soon rode back with Aubin at dusk. He held no answer but lots of questions. They stopped to camp in the forest. Aubin made the fire while Galahad scouts the area. He was not keen to be attacked in his sleep. Later they sat down at the campfire.

“Brother by name, if you can remember me. I told you of the syaitan.” Aubin looked into the fire.

“The one you defeated with Percival and yet the words mentioned of my name,” Galahad replied. “It’s good if we can settle it before Percival returns.”

“Because it’s inside of me for I am the Syaitan now.” Aubin looked up from the fire with his eyes bloodshot. “The sword is asking for blood and soul. I have come here to take your soul.”

 Galahad retreated on his haunches. He was unarmed with the gladius on the saddle.

“Aubin… Why?”

“Aubin is dead. He was killed by me some time back. I took his body and hunted you. I had got some others to ambush Lamorak. We did not kill him for we wanted to lure Percival to come to his aid but you did. Your Decurion has taken my body but not my soul. A part of me lived in the scimitar here and I will take back the other scimitar to be whole again.”

“How can that be?” Galahad stood up and faced then Aubin in a crouched stance.

“I had overtaken Aubin then but he was still strong to resist me at times. He gave up the scimitar to Percival which held more of my blood. He resisted me but I influenced him to come here, fight your war, and stayed behind. He knew I was inside of him and tried to warn you but I am now more in control.”

 “You …” Galahad ran to his saddle but the syaitan was faster in Aubin’s body. It grabbed the gladius and then leveled it at the knight.

“Ah…. It feels good to be one.” The syaitan inside Aubin moaned.

“Did you attack Lamorak?” Galahad asked.

“Yes, I did. The Roman was to lure Percival.”

“You had Aubin to attack my friend?” Galahad asked.

“Was he your friend? He was with your lover, suckling her breasts like a child for milk, and leaving his seeds in her. Was that what you still call your friend?”

“He …. is. I was no more with Molly. He can have her.” Galahad revealed his heart feelings. “I am not ready for her.”

“And you won’t be when I am done with you.” The syaitan in Aubin’s body laughed before its voice was croaked by the blade from the rear into the back of the neck. It dropped the scimitar held in the hand and then turned to look at the backstabber.

It was Tristan who stabbed it on the neck with the pugio; the dagger carried by the Legionnaire.

Galahad grabbed the dropped scimitar and then plunged it from the back. The blade went in deep and then at the heart. Aubin fell to his knees and Galahad withdrew the scimitar with both hands and with a swing of both arms, the scimitar removed the head. Galahad stood there heaving in deep breaths looking at the severed head.

“You…” The syaitan tried to speak but the pugio stifled the voice. Galahad kicked at the head into the campfire and watched it scream in silent

“Forgive me, brother. It was …. kill and end the curse for both of us.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...