Monday, June 30, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.5

Prologue 7

"Othello, I..." Desdemona whispered to his love while they lay inside the chamber in the quinqueremes. She had been sick since they board the ship. It was all a whirlwind of events since the incident at the Senate Hall. After that incident, she went back to retrieved her personal belongings from her chamber. Her father had stepped into her chamber to watched her pack. He had not said any words to her but kept his silence. She did not offer any goodbyes to him but left for the Castra that night.

"Why my love? I had not expected you here?" Othello had sounded surprised. He had not prepared his bare furnished chambers for her, and felt that it was inappropriate as yet.

"You looked beautiful." It was the flimsy gown that she had reserved for the occasion. He was taken in by the body that was beneath it all. She held out her arms to him.

"I had declared that I would not be left alone by myself while you are away." Desdemona told him.

"Aye, I heard you, but I was thinking of making a villa next to Castra which I could go home with you. But here..." Othello point to his chamber, "Its a pigsty than a villa."

"If my love lived in the pigsty, then I shall be seen there too." Desdemona told him. She reached for him again, but he pulled away.

"I am sorry, my love, but the Centurions awaits me for their briefing." Othello told her. She glared at him and told him.

"Do you mean to tell me that even on our first night of the union, we are to be parted by your Legion?" Desdemona questioned him, but then she replied for him.

"Yes, please go. I would not have my name be rumored to the downfall of my lover." Desdemona sighed. Then she brighten up and showed him the sash he gave her.

"I still had this and would be my mate for the night." Desdemona told him. Othello smiled sheepishly and left her there to rejoin his Centurions. Desdemona sighed to herself.

"He hold two loves; one of the Legion and the other of me. But which would triumph remain to be seen."

It was a challenge for her to hold that thought. A challenge she was to hold even on her voyage. She was woken from her day dream.

"Hush, my love." Othello had lain next to her on the narrow bedding while the ship rocked to the waves. He had told her many times during the voyage that walls of the ship are thin and sounds travel clearer on it. It was not his lover seeking to resumed their silent love making, but she was in need to use the port hole to clear her last meal. She was not used to the sea, being a land bounded person all her life before, she had find difficulty loving her lover. She crawled over his body and walked to the port hole. While she was throwing her meals off, Othello had held her from the rear. He was trying to coax her onto another round of love, but she was turned off.

"I am not in the mood, Othello." Desdemona pushed her lover off her back and stumbled to the bedding. She sat there and pulled the bedding cover over her nude body. He walked toward her and displayed his eagerness to continue, but she shook her head.

"Its not you, my love. Its the sea." Othello heard her and sat down next to her. He reached out to his love, which she snugged up to him. They had been at the sea for over two weeks, crossing the short stretch of the sea, but this journey, their route was marred by choppy seas.

Othello was to reply when the door to their chamber was knocked. Othello sighed but Desdemona was used to it. Since their union, there was always a knock on every alternate turn of the sun. She pulled away and reached for her gown. Othello dressed in silence and then left her. By the time he stepped out the room, he had forgotten his physical lover for the love of the legion.





No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...