Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Tempest Prologue 14

Prologue 14

After six months of working for the Miller, Gonzales approached Paul Miller.

"Mr Miller, I am quitting the position." Gonzales left the letter on the desk of Paul Miller. He was offered the seat by the man.

"Gonzales, please sit down." Paul looked to his notes while Gonzales sat down reluctantly. "I am not accepting your resignation."

"I am still leaving. I can't place my career on serving...." Gonzales was cut short.

"Bad guys, criminals, killers, mobsters. Yes, we are." Paul completed it for him. "So was your father. He was my dealer in the stuff we needed to unload. How did you think he supported you through law school? Your dad was earning peanuts before I came in."

Gonzales stood up and refused to looked back. He went home and called his father.

"What the fuck do you think you are doing?" Gonzales father started off. "I raised you to be an attorney to make money. Are you not making money with the Miller?"

Gonzales wanted to reply but he was hollered more by his father.

"You think as an attorney you would be paid more than he ever done?"

That was it for Gonzales. He replaced the phone handle. He was very upset. The telephone rang. He picked it up. It was the Miller house. He was invited to dine with Paul Miller.

"Come and have the dessert." Paul passed the ice cream. "Its good. Real milk content."

Gonzales picked up the dessert and took a spoonful. He was dining with the Miller's family. There was the wife, Bernice with her one year old daughter who was a handful at the table. Just as he was to start on the ice cream Paul Miller spoke to him.

"I am offering you to double the retainer with your hours extra." Paul told him. "And a list of new clients from my friends."

It was like being offer the golden chest.

"And a protection unit." Paul looked at him. "In case someone want to bumped you off."

Then Paul laughed.

"I was just joking." Paul looked at Gonzales. "They don't shoot at the mobster's attorney."

Gonzales sighed. He then smiled and took up his glass.

"To a long profitable relationship."

Gonzales did his work for the Miller, arguing with the cops most times. But he stopped at hailing the cabs. He had a chauffeur car. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...