Monday, October 31, 2011

Elite Part 6

Day One
Morning Starts
0600 hrs
The news would had been heard by the morning listener if there was a radio program on, but there was none on the radio that morning. Nor was the televisyen transmitting or the portable phones signal working. But that news would had interested the people on the island; Typhoon Jimmie is on the collision course to the island this late afternoon to evening. All households are told to board up or faced torrents of rain and flying debris.
But the city is not quiet despite the lack of electronic communications, as its people wakes up to their normal routine. Shops and business are opened or schedule to open, and the streets slowly filled up with the morning crowds. The only query on the mind of everyone, is what happend to the news and phone calls. Irritate customers came by their transport to collect their wares or deliver themselves their wares.
The first train that arrived at the City Commuter Station was surprised by the presence of army troops with heavy guns on them all perched on the upper corridors. What was made worse they only allowed two exit/entrance to the Station which is on the left to 2nd  Street and right to 4th Street.
But no one noticed the staff going to the next level where their offices are being urshered into some rooms. Nor did the passerby of Plaza Diamonde pay attention to the army guards on the entrance of the Plaza. All the staff reporting for duties there are sent to the Level 6 above the Ground and kept in binds there. So was the Governor Office cleaning staffs which arrived at 0630 hrs...By that time, the number of hostages taken in was about sixty eight persons.


0700 hrs
I looked at my scooter petrol gauge and it said near empty and so is my wallet content. I must remember to top it up or I will be pushing the bike. There is the automated teller machine ( ATM’s ) on Plaza Diamonde I can used. Its inside the lobby and it should be open now. I zipped to the place passing the slow moving traffic on the streets as the drivers tried to get to their workplace. I looked up at the skies when I stopped at the traffic lights intersection. Its clear and looks like another hot day for us. I can see the City Commuter Station spurting it occupants like bad food, as they all pushed their way in and out. I was surprised to see the side doors are all closed and there is one army personnel on the window at the upper level. That is a rare sight as the army don;t come out and parade themselves that way. The Governor saids it bad for the tourists to see that.
My stop is two streets away, and my traffic light is green, so I am off. I am wearing my janitor suit under my jacket and my tools are on rear on my scooter seat. I am trying to avoid thinking of my new target, but the image keep on appearing on my mind. When I reached the entrance of Plaza Diamonde, I dismount from my scooter and unattached my tool box to carry it with me. Its not safe to leave your tools unattended on the streets.
I walked by the Army personnel at the entrance, and proceeded to the left towards the rows of ATM’s at the lobby area. I heard someone calling me and turned to look at the source of the shouting. It was the same army personnel and he told me get back in line and go to the lifts. I took up my right hand to show him the ATM card, but he was sill insistent I do as he said. You do not argue with a man holding a nasty looking gun. I can tell its a AK74M model with a load of 30 rounds. And his name tag is missing, so I just called him, Oleg for fun.
‘Okay, Oleg. I follow your call. Even though I need is a ATM.’ I walked towards the lifts and was surprised to see another personnel in the lift when the door opened. He motioned for me to step in and move aside to the control panel, which he has pressed the number six button..
It was my instinct which saved me. I dropped my tool box on the flooring and that caused the soldier to over react. It was a split second decision and one which I am good at. I lashed out with my right foot onto the soldiers groin and he keeled over in pain. I chopped down my karate trained arm on the back of his neck. I then pressed the button five to let the lift stop there, and it did in the next moment. I immediately pulled the soldier out of the lift and dragged him into the lift lobby. I reached in and grab my toolbox before the lift door closes.
I may have only a few seconds to work on this act. I dragged him to the far corner out of the camera’s view, and prop him against the wall. I searched his body for ID but there was none. I removed his bandolier which holds four clips of ammo and one fragment grenade.
For good measure, I reach with both arms on his head and give him a deadly twist to his neck. I picked up his AK74M and shoulder it. I then opened my toolbox and removed a black pouch. I put that pouch into my jacket pocket and stood up against the fire door to the staircase. I can hear no noise on it and I assumed there are no one there. I slowly opened the door and went into the staircase level.
I decided to go down to the Level 1 where I can get out unseen by ‘Oleg’ the guard at the entrance. On the mid flight of the staircase from Level 1 and 2 is a window which is closed from inside. And its also about nine feet high. But I know the Janitor here too. So I followed his instruction to the last words.
I discarded my acquired weapons except for my pouch. I climbed onto the stair railings where it shaped to a ‘U’ turn; giving me some space to stand on. I leapt from there towards the window. It opened when I hit it and I hung by the slight open window ledge. I slowly inched my way up and forcing the windows to open up wider. Now comes the hard part, as I am hanging face out over the window ledge. I know of no other way to fall over except heads down. Its wasn’t exactly my mode of falling but I swung my legs out in time to land on my back on the pavement. I can assure you its painful but the idea of being shot at sounds worse. I got up from my prone position and leaned back against the wall. I was lucky for my thick jacket taking most of the fall, but its still hurts.
I am now at the rear side of the building and in a open carpark area. I ran over to the nearest car I can find; its four wheel saloon and the keys are not there. But I know how to open the lock; I just used my jacket as the glove and hit hard. I swept the broken glass off the seat and reached for the wire beneath the steering wheel.
Soon I have my convertible ready to hit the road.


0812 hrs
I heard the door bell and then the hard knocking. Damn, I just completed my shower and was about to get dressed. I went over to my dresser and took out my SIG-Sauer P226 with my 15 rounds clip. One my previous lover from the military background gave it to me as present. He said it lacks the power of the Magnum but it gor more rounds than some. So when the enemy is reloading, you can still shoot them down. Sadly, he got shot in a unrecorded mission to the wrong country and so ended a fifteen months relationship.
I may be dressed in my bathrobe, but I am carrying a menacing firearm on me now. And it blows more than bubbles. I went up to the door, standing by the side and asked who it was. It turned out to be Marcel and he is early. If he is here to fix any leaking pipes there ain’ any. And Alicia is still asleep in her bed.I opened the door to admit in a very urgent looking brother.
‘Something is wrong. I was in the Plaza D and got almost killed, There are soldiers there and also at the Governor’s Office, which is why I am here. I know those guards don;t dressed like that and I thought I warned you. The phones are not working and so is the radio programs. Something is wrong and I know it.’
‘Hush, Marcel. There could be an explanation for it. Maybe the Governor called the troops to guard his gate, and Plaza D was under the army survelliance for something. I can verify that soon.’ I would know as all correspondence and messages goes through my desk. And there was none of it to my knowledge. And the call from the Governor this early morning did not specified any new instructions except the geographical tests files.
That when the door was knocked again. The time was 0829 hrs


0715 hrs
I pulled over the kerb to the coffee kiosk opposite the City Central Station. I got out the car and walked towards the half shop which made up for my coffee kiosk. Ben is a ex-policeman retired five years ago, and now operates this joint here. His main crowd are the policemen themselves, with an occasional passerby at odd times. His shop front is a counter top across the shop width and a long bench before it; that’s for the ones who wants to sit there. Almost all his customers are takeaways and he is happy with that. Today, Ben is looking a bit upset at his pile up of coffee takeaways.
‘Ben, my normal please.’ I reached for my wallet and extract out the money. I took my coffee and sandwich from Ben. As he was counting my change, I noticed the eight bags of takeaways next to his cashier box.
‘Big pile there? Someone having a early morning chat?’ Whenever the Commissioner gives a pep talk, we get the secretarail to order the coffee from Ben to be brought over. But the Commissioner is in the capital, so there must be another talk I am not aware of.
‘Nay, them boys did not come to picked up their drinks yet. Normally they be on the road by now, but they picked this up before hitting the road. Even your night shift guys are still in the station.’
I looked across the street to see the fifteen patrol cars are still there. Normally they will be picked up by the morning shift guys for their patrol. What was odd was there are no policemen on or off duty outside at the station yard. Normally at this hour, would be about twenty personnels interacting on last night’s performance. But there are none now. Maybe there is an important meeting in there now.
I told Ben pass me the coffee packs, and I walked over to the Station. You need to walk over a 50 yard long cemented ground to reach the entrance. When I reached the familair part glass and wooden door, I saw it open from inside. An army personnel came out brandishing a M16A1 witrh M203 Grenade Launcher to stopped me.
‘No coffee delivery today.’ He also told me to scot off and not come back.
I peeked in to see the front counter manned by an army personnel with a M240 on the desk facing me. The earlier army personnel poked his M16A1 into my right shoulder and motioned me to move. I turned back to Ben’s shop and turned once more to looked back at the Station. Something is wrong and I know it. I focused my attention to the roof when I saw a glitter of reflection from it. I was then I saw the sniper positioned there with his long barrel on me. Immediately I ducked back into the shop and passed the packs of coffee to Ben.
‘They are having tea with some visiting officers from some faraway land. No coffee today to be served.’
I am not sure Ben bought my excuse but he did throw the coffee packs into the waste bins, and muttered about the taste of tea drinkers. I sat there for a while watching the Station. It was then Brian rushed in asking for a coffee to be taken away. Brian is new rookie in the force, and was just posted here from the academy.
‘Hey, Brian. Can you do me a favor? Please wave to me when you reached the Station from the first level window.’
‘Yes, sir. I got to go now.’ And he rushed off to the Station and went in by the Staff entrance. I waited for ten minutes and still no Brian at the windows. I gave it another ten minutes more and still no sign of him. I asked Ben if he has that binoculars of his. He passed it to me and I took off for the building next door. Its called the Tech Corner Building and its one level higher than the Station. I just showed my Police ID to the guard and was allowed to go in. I climbed the steps to the roof level, and slowly crawled to the gutter edge. I found a space for me to lie down flat and and from there, I trained my sights  through the binoculars to the Station.
What I saw was most disturbing, that I made my way down and to Ben’s. I told Ben to tell any officer who comes over to meet me at the Police Warehouse next to the Dock Yard. If I am not there, they are to wait for me. I went into my car and start the engine without thinking of any car bombs. My mind was on the Station and what is happening.
Only person would know is Melanie. The clock in the car reads as 0756 hrs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site.
Keep up the great writing.

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...