Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Elites Bullet Part 2

1910 hrs
The steak tonight smells nice and tender to the knife. I must send my compliments to the chef for a wonderful dinner. Its rather appropriate for one to complement where the work done is perfect. So the fat and cigar toting dealer is dead, as planned by us. I got to respect my partner in his works; they are as well planned as mine.
‘General, the message you asked to advise has arrived. The wildcats are on the deck.’
‘Good, James. Can you bring me my cognac from the the library. I feel the need to celebrate tonight.’ I looked at the long dining table I am seated at. Its a long table with a seating for twelve, and only one person sits here every meal. But tonight at precisely 2000 hrs there will be seven others who I have invited to join me here for a early night discussion. I doubt they be here on the dot so I will allowed them the luxury of some leeway on the time.
‘James, you do remember we have some guests tonight. So bring up the rum and whisky. These scoundrels do not drink cognac. And have the ventilation turned on as the air would be bad when they are here. And please check on the trucks. They must be there on time. ’
Now I must complete my meal for the night, or there would be a very dissapointed chef soon.

2010 hrs
‘Mama, you made it.’ Truly nothing is more refreshing than to come home to see your daughter celebrate her sixth birthday. And she baked her own cake today with the help ‘Mama’ Oleo; her babysister. I liked ‘Mama’ Oleo, who came into my life when Alicia was three, and she has been with us since. She protects her ward like her own, and spares no one to spank the mischevious daughter of mine.
‘Thank, ‘Mama’ Oleo. I was caught up in the office as usual, and the traffic was bad. Must be the coming festival, and everyone is out there. I even brought my work back.’ I hugged the fat dark lady whom I leave my child with her daily except Sunday’s. I could smelled the flour and sugar on her dress, as she just removed her apron to start on her own journey to home.
‘I turned the clock back by ten minutes just in case, and you arrive as I expected, late by ten minutes’. I laughed at her whisper which is sweet thoughts of her to do that. ‘ Your brother Marcel is in the living hall, and I think Marius called to said he will be late. Some case just came up on 3rd Street.’
I don’t what did I do to deserved this lady of love. She is so wonderful and I can see the dining table is set for four. ‘Mama’ Oreo said her goodbye to Alicia and left the apartment. I set my takeaway dinner on the dining table and told Alicia to set them up properly. Well, I guess with fried chicken pieces you can’t go wrong even at age of seven. I walked into the living hall and met up with Marcel. He got up on seeing me and put down the remote. We hugged and assked about each other. Its kinda unusual for me to asked him that as we do meet more than once a week here, and have dinner. But there is so little we talked about between us as siblings.
Marcel grew up here while I was sent off to study overseas. While I was with a degree in law and political science, he was equipped with a passion for iron pipes and wrenches. Unlike Marius, who loves to play cop and robber, he disliked guns. So Marius went from High School to the Police Training Centre, Marcel took apprentice as a plumber. And me, I become a corporate lawyer on the main island, until my marriage brokeup and I came over here with Alicia.
Marcel works in the school as a janitor now on my recomendations, as he has a bad leg due to a accident as claimed by him. He limps a bit and his walking is awkward, although ‘Mama’ Oleo said he is sexy. Both my brothers are tall and dark handsome with a turf of hair that every woman will like to run their fingers through. But not me, I am the short one, but with a well maintained body shape that can still cut a fine figure in the business suit. Alicia did add some extra budges but they are carefull hidden now.
I may had five line of questions to Marcel, before either of us will find an excuse to walked away. Today, its mine as I told him I need to freshen up before supper. As I walked past my home clock, I noticed the illuminous clock reads as 20;25 and Marius is still not here. We are not waiting for him as Alicia need to be in bed by ten. When I came out of my bedroom, dressed in my favourite T-shirt that says ‘we hate politicians’ and hip hugging shorts; Alicia jumped into my arms again. She just loved to smell my scent on these clothes; she told me so. It reminds her of me when I tuck her in bed.
And there was Marius standing at the dining table with a drumstick in his right hand.
‘Did you wash your hands?’ Marius tried to said something with his mouth full but neither of us were interested at all. All four of us sat down for the first meal of the day as a family.


2105 hrs
The refreshing drink in my hand was very cooling for a hot evening like now. I looked across at Marius who just seated himself down on the opposite couch. He has taken his service revolver off his waist to put it on the coffee table. Its a Colt Python 357 Magnum with a four inch barrel, and a load of six bullets. It has being discontinued sometime back but its a collectible today. Despite the popularity of semi-automatics’, Marius stuck to his gun as he claimed it stopped more villians than he can recalled. He was once shot fatally and almost lost his life then. But his memory was affected and he can’t recall all of his past now. I can see Melanie jumping on him to leave a weapon on the table in her home. Melanie is doing that to protect her daughter from the going on outside. But she will be surprised that the little girl may know more than her mama knows But I know she won;t hurt anyone with that gun as the gun is heavy and the recoil from pulling the trigger will throw her onto the floor causing her to missed any targets.
But I will watched on the Colt Detective Special; the nimble 6 inch plus revolver with its six load on his right ankle holster. Marius knows that is the real killer for those close fights, and not his Colt Python. He probably handed over the Python over for body search more times than he fired it.
Marius pocket back his Python into his left shoulder holster and lie back on the couch. He is still dressed in his dark favorite leather jacket and matching shirt and dark jeans. He wear them trainers from the moement he gets out of bed and back to bed. I wondered if he removes it now, the stink from his socks will probably contaminate the room in seconds.
Melanie offered Marius a new drink as he finished off his fruit juice earlier  She keeps tab on his health since the shooting; feeding him nutrituous drinks and food. But she does not do that to me, or is it  because she fears me. I used to treat her badly when we were kids, but I had to protect her as my sister  in the neighbourhood we were living in. She is the only brain and I intend to see her stay that way, and out of the reaches of the scums who lived there. I did my responsibility and she became a lawyer and married her senior partner. Now she is single and one kid to contend with.
I never could get married as I told her before, as no one wants a cripple, although there been a few I wanted to get attached to. But the draw of the cards was not in my favor so I left the idea of marriage aside for good.
I have my family and we take care of each other.


2120 hrs
I wondered why I put up with this charade of coming for dinner with them. I can agreed that we are family, but we did not see each other for over twelve years before we got together around my sick bed. It was one day I wished I had died and not her. And my kid. The bastards slammed my car and then ran over with their guns blazing inside the car. She took the most hits and died protecting me with her body. I was in coma for over three weeks and the dumb officer in the HR section decided to contact my next of kins, and they found her and limping brother. I woke up soon and the doctors told me I am one lucky chap to have a sister and brother who sat by my side for days while I was sleeping. Yes, they sat by me for one week and eighteen hours since they knew of my condition.
Funny how in an island this size, we never meet or backed into each other at all. She was back here then for over  a year and Marcel was missing for decades. But I stayed with them because of Alicia; she is my darling to replace the one I lost that day. I never would know who my child will be as it was never born. I can’t even called it he or she as I know not the sex then. It was the morgue assistant who told she was pregnant with about two months in her.
It was then, I went back into the force training, as a new recruit. I took on the position called for clandestine operatives in special ops. The moment my doctor said I am okay, I was in the training gorund doing pushup and running. I was sent to some camp for more training and one day told to kill a man. I did it and then told by my commandant I am ready. And since then, I have been ready for anything, but not these dinners which I still come back to. Maybe it to get back at my humanity that I come here, and see them, play with Alicia and then back to the street to gun down another perv for street violiation.
Yes, I almost forgotten my present to Alicia. I got up and walked towards the apartment door. Just before it was a large bag with a wrapped up gift for a little girl. I picked it up and called for Alicia to collect her gift. She was estartic and immediately tore off the wrappings.
I got her a small notebook with broadband facilities, so she does not have to messed with her mother’s one. Alicia was so happy that she had to showed her mother first. And later Uncle Marcel. And finally me, with a hug and a loud kiss on my left cheek. Later I got was a lecture on how to invest my money from my sister, and  I was saved by the beeper on my waist. I offered my apologies and went over to the window to make the call to the office. It was my scheduled call for me to exit the party as coordinated with my office. So I extend my second apology and took my leave of the apartment.
The air outside was blowing out with the heat from the city into the sea  Its been some weeks now since we hear of raindrops or car running over puddles. I got into my car and as usual starts the engine with a moment of pause of any thoughts except listening to the humming of the car engine. I wanted to reach for the aircond switch but I decided not to switch it on. I will contend myself with the window down and let the breeze do its magic.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...