Thursday, October 20, 2011

Folk Tales No. 22 Last mermaid

Last mermaid..
Under the ocean, there are thousands of creatures which we do not know about, and this is one of them them. They are all wonderful creation in this world with their own identities like us as man. This is the story of the one of them; the last mermaid.
So our story began.
‘Yo crazy, girl. You are a mermaid and now you want to tell me you wanna be a human. I meant you are half human and fish, and that makes you a mermaid by definition. So why would you want to choose to be one of the other when you can be one’, spoken like a true fish; actually she is a Tinselfish; found at 1,000 metres deep in the ocean and rarely caught by man. Her name is Gram, and she works as anchor news for the station.
‘But Gram, I am in mixed. I am born a mermaid, and I had then friends with mermaids and fishes. Over the years, I find the mermaids are dwindling and now I am the last. But you fishes are still around, and okay, you lost some tribes, but as a whole nation you are still around. And so are the humans, as the undercurrents tells me they are seen at this depth too. As for me, I am in in-between and belong to no nation of human or fish’, sigh the last mermaid named Jessie, whose size is of the size of the human’s palm, and her tail well covered with gleaming green fins. As for her upper body, she is a well developed young lady.
‘I been up the ocean and spied on the human. I saw one of those wooden crates, but this one is smaller than the one which we have on the seabed. On it was my sight of a human, and I thinketh he is a man as his chest is flat and has ugly hairs on it. I watched for a long time, and the things he does. Some of it is disgusting but I think I am in love with him’, Jessie is always a ‘dream boat’ in her days, probably due to the deep pressure here.
‘Yo in love? Jessie, you are out of your fins on this one’, exclaimed Gram as she swirled the currents to make she is listening well. At this depth, the plankton does get into your ears.
‘I think I am, and I am a grown mermaid, and can made my own mind. I will see Mama Oct for advise. I hear she does this transformation for some mermaids, and they lived on as human’s.’ Jessie is one messed up broad for sure.
‘Mama Oct? You crazy for sure. She is bad vibes. The wiser used to said to avoid her.’ Gram was trying to swim sense into her friend, but Jessie was on her way to the darker depths. Now Gram was not able to let her friend go alone, so she followed with her prayers bubbles in the lungs.
‘Mermaid, your wish can be done, but let me warn you, there are conditions for the transformation. One, you will not be able to swim with the fishes. Two, you will be a dumb broad as we had not got that part right yet. Two plus, we could compensate with some silicone or plastics; plenty around from the dumping. Or you can looked at the next package; we make you into a fish. And there are no terms and conditions to adhered to, except you lose your human looks. We do not offer silicone for fish though, its too bulky. Your call, darling and bubble me when you are ready. Now that will be three pearls for initial consultation.’ So Jessie and Gram went to the counselling cave for some last minutes review of actions. And finally Jessie emerged from the cave to bubble up Mama Oct.
One evening, a young lady of small statute in body size was seen at the jetty waiting for her lover in the boat. There he arrived, and out he jumped onto her and kissed her passionately. He held out in his hand, a fish bowl with a Tinselfish in it.
‘I think you needed a companion’ he said to her, and she nodded as she was dumb. They both walked back to their house by the beach, and carrying the fish bowl with the Tinselfish. Unknown to them, there was another Tinselfish which swam away beneath the jetty to be in time for her slot on the late news,
This was her report ’ today, we have another friend lost at sea. Her name is Gram, and she is of the Tinselfish Tribe. We bid her all the best and thank her for the service she rendered on this channel. I am your new anchor fish, Jessie; signing off for the station’.
( the one who is mixed up inside need good advice and friends, and not critics on their coming choices. ) 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...